“Great cheap hotel!”

Ranked #28 of 31 Hotels in Bozeman
Costa Mesa, California
“Great cheap hotel!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

I stayed here with a coworker for a conference at Montana State University. This is a great hotel for the price, but obviously it is nothing fancy. What I really liked is that they have rooms that have two conjoining rooms each with their own beds. This makes it a little homier when traveling with coworkers for business. The location is pretty nice - it *is* walking distance to the university, but it takes about 20-30 minutes depending on your speed. It is an easy walk to downtown Bozeman. If you don't feel like walking, there is a busstop nearby. There is a grocery store a block away, as well as various restaurants and even a local bar. They offer free wireless internet, and have a small pool. The 'breakfast' isn't much more than a piece of fruit, maybe a granola bar or a doughnut, but they do have coffee. We had no problems during our stay at the Rainbow Motel and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is on a budget!

Room Tip: Rooms in the back don't have wireless internet
  • Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank LMNT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2010

We stayed here 3 nights in late August and found no problems with this hotel. We had worried about street noise because it does face a 4-lane street, but had no problem, and I am a light sleeper. The rooms were large and seemed well-maintained. The breakfast was extremely modest, but you save enough to breakfast elsewhere. You wouldn't stay here for the surroundings, but Bozeman and the surrounding area has so much to offer that all we needed was a place to sleep.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fothergilla
Missoula, Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

These were the grumpiest people I've dealt with in a long time, let alone in a "service industry."
First, the positives: For Bozeman, this is a relatively good deal. The double room "suite" was very small, but still, it allowed kids to nap/sleep while we were up. The double room suite fronted on 6th street which was quiet (well, traffic-wise) and there is a school across the street with a playground. You can walk to Beale Park, downtown, and the Co-Op. We easily biked to the Museum of the Rockies and the campus (where I had a workshop - the impetus of the trip). The room was clean and everything worked.
The negatives: 7th street is a very busy street. The two rooms were pretty small. There was construction at the school across 6th from our room and it was ridiculously noisy (although I recognize this is beyond the control of the hotel). Anyone ever heard of towel hooks? No shampoo/conditioner. Only donuts for breakfast. Wi-fi did not work in our room.
And the NUMBER ONE NEGATIVE, the older man and woman who worked there (own it?) are GRUMPY! On the phone, they were grumpy. In person, they were grumpy. They were grumpy when we switched from a 3-night to a 2-night reservation (all week days). They did not communicate with each other well, making them more grumpy. We asked for a late checkout, and the male (making grumpy remarks) allowed an extra hour. Then the woman called our room at the normal check out time and (grumpily [or more accurately - nastily]) asked if we were staying another day. We told them no, but that we no longer really needed the extended check-out time since by calling, they had just awoken our napping infant - the reason we asked for the extension.
Perhaps a good deal, but I found the vibe just too negative to want to go back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank alisaww
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

Rainbow is a very basic, standard motel on 7th Avenue, a busy commercial street. Rooms are clean, and there's an outdoor pool and picnic table. The staff suggested 2 wonderful restaurants, both within walking distance. If you go out the back way, onto 6 Avenue, it's a pleasant residential neighborhood, a lovely 1/3 mile walk from Bozeman's very appealing downtown. Continental breakfast was doughnuts and coffee, plus a basket of apples, oranges and bananas. It was no trouble to pick up a great muffin at one of the nice cafes downtown.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carly5
greenacres
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2010

Made reservations for a two bedroom room enroute to Yellowstone for $85 since my traveling companion and I did not wish to share a room. When we arrived, we got a key, went to our room only to find a single room with two beds. Apparently, someone decided we didn't really want what we had reserved (???) furthermore the price we were charged was still $85. So we got the two bedrooms after returning to the office, where apparently we were expected to be back by the clerk who noticed the discrepancy but sent us to the room anyway. I got good wifi for lots of places around, except the motel for which I couldn't get a connection at all. The beds were very hard - but I guess this is the norm as it seems to be that way everywhere. Since this was the first leg, I wasn't tired enough to sleep on the hard bed anyway so I got very little sleep. However the clerk was very helpful about picking a place for dinner. Good value for the money, however.

• Stayed June 2010

Travellers are raving about these Bozeman hotels

Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

Most travelers will look for the big motel chains for overnight stays. I am here to tell you, you must check out the Rainbow Motel in Bozeman. They are always working to upgrade and update their their small motel and the owners take pride in their business and it shows. When I stay at any motel I always look for cleanliness. The rooms at the Rainbow are always clean and I have never had to ask the housekeepers come in and change my sheets or clean the bathtub. It is always done right the first time. I have seen the owner inspecting rooms when I have stayed there. Great place to stay!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank AniSally
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Rainbow Motel in Bozeman, Montana in September, 2009.
We were so pleasantly surprised at the rennovations the current owners have done and how comfortable the room in which we stayed. New carpets, new paint, new wainscoating on walls, and nice refinished bath/shower combo. The beds were very comfortable and we thoroughly enjoyed fresh, delicious pastries and coffee in the mornings. If you are looking for a nice, comfortable room at a very reasonable price, we certainly recommend the Rainbow Motel without reservations.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple