“Simple, affordable, vintage, perfect.”
Review of Rainbow Motel

Rainbow Motel
Ranked #30 of 31 Hotels in Bozeman
Portland, Oregon
“Simple, affordable, vintage, perfect.”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Rolled into town and booked a room no problem. Cooled off in the pool, and enjoyed the room. They even had a little breakfast in the morning. I love simple vintage motels! Keep the prices low by not offering unnecessary perks and amenities. A perfect place to rest while you're on the road.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

What a terrible smell in that room... Cold cigarette (for a non smoking room)/wet dog/cave moisture. I will never be back there. And it was pricey for a very basic room, and no breakfast included. There are way better options in the same price range in Bozeman.

• Stayed July 2013

Travellers are raving about these Bozeman hotels

Thomson
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I called ahead to reserve the room. I was told they had just shampooed the carpet, but it should be dry by approximately 4pm. The man at the desk was very pleasant, but very slow. The hotel is old, but the rooms were clean. However, the carpet was still wet and didn't dry all night. I was charged more than the quote given to me by a woman who I made the reservation with. It was in the low 90s that day and we discovered the knobs missing from the air conditioner. We had to get our own plyers from our vehicle to operate it. No amenities to speak of and minimal breakfast offerings. Also, the outlets were so worn out I couldn't plug in my phone charger or computer without the cords falling out.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
rainbow058, Manager at Rainbow Motel, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Diane: We appreciate your review but would like to clarify a couple points you made. I am the one that took your reservation. When you called you needed a room that you could have your dog in and I told you right upfront I only had one room available but it wouldn't be ready till 4:00 because we had just shampooed the carpet and I thought the carpet would be dry enough by 4:00. We had fans on the carpet to try to dry it quickly and when I went to take them out the carpet was dry to the touch but and I knew you were wanting to get in so possibly it was damp when you walked on it. Second of all you did not get charged more than what you were quoted Diane. You asked me how much the room was I quoted you 90.00 plus 7.00 for the dog fee. You asked me if we had an AARP rate and I told you the rate would be 85.00 plus the 7.00 dog fee plus the tax which we have no control over. You paid 92.00 plus tax. You were not charged more than I quoted! Third of all as far as the A/C goes at the beginning of the summer another customer had removed the knobs from the A/C for what ever reason (we think so housekeepers wouldn't turn his a/c off during the day while he was gone) and we have not been able to find knobs that fit. So the knobs missing I do apologize for. We will have to replace the A/C and since the A/C works well (I know I am in the rooms everyday) we thought we would wait till after the hot summer and the busy season. It is a job to pull the thru the wall A/C's out. Fourth of all I am not sure what amenities you wanted. We advertise SMALL CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST, SMALL HEATED POOL, WIFI in which we have all of. Maybe you were looking for the same kind of amenities you get at a Best Western and that we are not. As far as the outlets I can't quite understand that because we have no problems with our TV, Lamps, Alarm Clocks, A/C and on occasion when a customer requests microwaves and refrigerators staying plugged in. We hope you have a great rest of your summer.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Well, I had previously reviewed this hotel and had mentioned that I felt I had been overcharged by the proprietors of this business. The management reached out to me to clarify this issue, even offering to refund 10$ at one point. They clearly care about their reputation in the small Bozeman community. I do feel good about the clarification from the management that the desk price is more than an online booking price and that is why our room was priced as it was. However, as previously stated, I didn't really find the hotel rates for what the rooms are to be a good value. At around 70/night I got a room I would have expected to pay between 40-50 dollars a night for the room we had. If the rate had been cheaper, the outdated musty rooms, night time noise and light would have not been such a bother, but there is a thresh hold of hotel rates in which you expect a certain level of comfort and quality. The bathroom was clean, but it burned my senses with an overwhelming aroma of bleach. We have stayed in heaps of budget hotels, this is not a chain its a small family owned business, and there are some for 40-50/night that surprise with how pleasant they are when your expectations are so low. Perhaps we have just been lucky to have found several great budget hotels elsewhere in the US. Overall the hotel wasn't that great but the management seems interested in resolving issues that you may have, so I should have confronted them while I was there and perhaps could have had a better experience.

In the end I probably wouldn't stay there again, just because the rooms are quite small and musty and I like fresher air and think I could find something better at this price. I do appreciate that the management was so persistent in resolving my concerns about whether I was unfairly charged.

Room Tip: I had a ground level floor and heard noise above all night, perhaps a top floor is quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I found this hotel online on a trip through Bozeman. It had good reviews but seemed pricey (I think we paid $90/ night). There were three of us traveling and the only thing available was two connected rooms with full beds. We desperately needed a room so we booked it on the phone. The good thing was the rooms were clean, but they were very small and we had very little space for luggage. In the room I stayed in there was a lamp next to the bed, but when I turned it on it didn't work. I realized it was not plugged in. I looked around for an outlet and there was not an outlet to be found. I thought this was quite strange- why provide a lamp without an outlet to plug plug it into....? I found this annoying since I always read before going to bed. My other disappointment was that there was not a blow dryer in the room. I would not give this hotel a poor rating if the price had been lower. With tax we paid $102. Also, the wireless did not work. They did provide a simple continental breakfast which wasn't bad.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
rainbow058, Owner at Rainbow Motel, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear Mrs. Susan Leapley:
I want to thank you for your review. The problems that you had would have been very easily fixed if you would have just dialed 0 we are always available 24/7 to fix most every problem. The outlet for the lamp in the front bedroom was right behind the nightstand the and outlet for the back bedroom was behind the bed. We could have walked out and plugged that in for you. We have hairdryers here in the office for our customers that we would have been glad to get you no questions asked. As far as the wifi goes when you called I told you the only room we had left with 2 beds was this room but the wifi access for this room is in the lobby. We tell all customers this when these particular rooms are booked so there is no confusion.
Management
Jawbone Flats, WA
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Utterly exhausted from a 700 mile drive, I showed up early at the Rainbow to see if maybe they'd take pity on me and let me check in early. Boy was I surprised when they actually switched me into a different room that would be done sooner so I could get some desperately needed shut-eye. My room was very clean (the carpet, bedspread, furniture all looked brand new) and very quiet. My stay in Bozeman was fantastic thanks to the Rainbow. I would stay here again any time.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

Really clean and good heater. Wonderfully hot shower. Basic but very good value for money. Breakfast is also provided which is simple (coffee, doughnuts, cereal, muesli bars, fruit) but sometimes that is all you need.

• Stayed April 2013