“Very good and informative place to visit.”

Montana Grizzly Encounter
Ranked #5 of 62 things to do in Bozeman
More attraction details
Owner description: Montana Grizzly Encounter is a grizzly bear rescue and educational sanctuary.
Malmo, Sweden
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Very good and informative place to visit.”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We went there last year and it was really good. The people helping out there are nice and friendly. You can go away and come back without paying additional entrance fee. You might want to do just that as not all bears are in the yard at the same time. The owner was helpfull, even giving us some ideas of what to do in the meanwhile, killing time until the other bears are coming out. So we've managed to see all the bears at the sanctuary during that day and also visited the museum of the Rockies in Bozeman, that wasn't even in our plans. That was better than expected.

We've learned more about bears, especially grizzlies, in a few hours than we've ever done before. It was also the only possibility to view and take photos of grizzlies that we've had. There is a fence between you and the grizzlies but it is built in a way to provide a good viewing, though safe, possibility without any disturbing net and such.

The owner is really passionate about what he is doing and he's quite keen on educating the public in order to ensure that his furry friends have a good life. He told some horrifying stories about people having some strange ideas about grizzlies making good house pets, It usually ends up with these poor bears ending up in small cages, understimulated, not cared for, sad and depressed, and (mentally) injured for life. They are doing this only with private fundings, meaning that they need all the income they can get to provide for these bears. The only thing that could be improved is the outdoor playground and rest area size for the bears that the public can help out with by donating money and/or buying the grizzly gifts sold on site. Definetely worth a visit.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank 13_andyv

Norwalk, Iowa
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Over priced and not accurate adversiting”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I would have liked to known there were only two bears and how tiny the facility was before I paid as I spent way to much money for what we got to see. It was obvious the people really love bears and they are well taken care of. I like how they are rescue bears and the storys they tell about the bears. However, this is not worth the money. The bears do not get along so don't expect to see many at a time. There is not much interaction and I really felt like I was at the zoo but only got to see two bears.

Austin, Texas
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A Great Stop for Families”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I loved this exhibit. It is not big, but it is clear the caretakers both know and love the bears in their care. All the bears are rescues from awful situations and are no longer capable of living in the wild. I did not mind paying the entry fee (good for two days), as it will further support the bears. The caretakers are knowledgeable and happy to answer your questions. I learned a lot in the short time I was there.

1 Thank KC_Texas2014
East Norwich, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great experience !!!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

A must see experience...It is worth the money..I would recommend going to see both sets...Bears we're very active and staff was very informative...and most of all the bears were well cared for...

1 Thank Linda S
Bozeman, Montana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“I LOVE this place!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

What a wonderful place to see grizzly bears up close. These are all rescue bears, and the staff (especially Bill) does a great job educating the guests on bears, how to stay safe in bear country, and bear facts. There are 5 bears (with one being a cub), and they don't all get along, so they are out 2 at a time. The cub isn't old enough yet to be in the enclosure. This is a wonderful place that is well worth the $7 admission. Lots of great things in the gift shop as well.

1 Thank Winchester02