“A great experience, so much fun!”

Montana Troutfitters - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1978, Montana Troutfitters is Bozeman's oldest fly fishing shop -- so take advantage of our experience!We offer a complete selection of high quality fly fishing tackle and have the area's largest selection of custom, hand-tied trout flies. Montana Troutfitters also provides the most knowledgeable and experienced guide staff in Southwest Montana. Our various guided fly fishing trips offer an unparalleled experience on Montana’s blue ribbon rivers and streams. Let our experience take you to your angling adventures of a lifetime. We pride ourselves in offering the highest quality instruction in the industry. Teaching people to fish is a way of life here at Montana Troutfitters. Located in the beautiful Gallatin River valley, only a short distance from Yellowstone National Park, the Bozeman area offers a staggering amount of world class angling opportunities. The Madison, Gallatin, Yellowstone, Big Hole and Missouri rivers, numerous small streams, the Paradise Valley spring creeks and beautiful mountain lakes combine to make Bozeman a fly fishing nirvana and a very attractive base of operations for a world-class fly fishing adventure.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Kaneohe, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A great experience, so much fun!”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We went on an all-day fly fishing float trip on July 8 with Rick Matney. It was both of ours first time and I didn't quite know what to expect but was down for the adventure. My fiancé is an avid salt-water fisherman back home in Hawaii and I myself don't get all excited at the thought of fishing like he does, so a lot of pressure (self-imposed!) was on him to "do his thing". Surprisingly, at the end of the day, thanks to the expert guidance and encouragement from Rick, I caught a grand total of 17 fish (16 whitefish and 1 rainbow trout) to my fiancé's 7! To his credit, the 7 did include a very nice sized brown trout (19" I think is what Rick said) and a cutthroat. And to top things off, Rick said we had a "Grand Slam" (catching all 4 varieties of fish on the river) which, for someone like me, made it that much more fun! Thanks to Rick, and Montana Troutfitters, they were so great and accommodating with us. Would totally recommend them to anyone. Fly fishing has a new fan! Thanks again, will definitely be back!

Visited July 2012

Bozeman, Montana
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“This is the best fly shop and guiding service in Bozeman”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Montana Troutfitters has a long history of serving anglers on our blue ribbon trout streams. There are many shops in the area and I am sure they all do a reasonable job but from my 16 years of experience, this shop is by far the best. It is run by expereinced fisherman who KNOW what flies to use to catch and what is fishing well. They are fair to deal with and have always been quite accomodative to the needs of my out of town guests.
I recently had Willy Self guide a friend from back east who was here for some spring skiing..after nearly a foot of powder in the morning he got on some browns in the late afternoon!
If you are here for a fishing trip or a local who wants good advice this the only place you need to go.

Visited March 2012