“Absolute must!”
Review of Pho Real - CLOSED

Pho Real
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I LOVED this restaurant! It had a great atmosphere and the pho was delicious. You can pick your broth, protein and as many veggies as you want, which was awesome. We went there twice and wish we could go back again!

Reviewed 23 August 2013

The soup was very good and I give this 3 instead 4 only because this was not authentic Pho. I went to this place expecting one thing and instead got an americanized version. However, don't be dissuaded...this soup is still very good. You just have to understand what you are getting. I got the rare beef with the beef broth and added tons of veggies. It was very good and the small was extremely filling. I would recommend this to those looking for a good, filling soup, but not to those expecting authentic Vietnamese food.

2  Thank Coug88
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Passed through Bozeman on business and stopped in here for a healthier lunch alternative. We walked in and sat down, assuming that's how its done anywhere, especially Pho places. Got some strange looks from two employees waiting at the counter so I asked how its done. They informed us you order at the counter and carry big bowls of Pho to the table yourself. What?! Ok, so we went with the flow and you order it like you're at Subway- telling them what meat and veggies you want. Strange. I ordered mine with the rare beef slices and when the girl employee lifted a slab of bloodied, dark looking raw meat slices my stomach turned. To pull this off, you need very fresh sliced beef and this looked like it had been sliced and sitting for way too long. Especially for a place that is having customers come to the counter while its being made. But I stuck with it and gave the Pho a try. You then balance your bowl to the cashier counter while you're paying with big soupy bowls right there on the same counter, then walk sloshing bowls of soup to your table. Cant imagine when its busy, you pay see no tables available while juggling your big bowl of soup. Crazy Americanized way of serving Pho that looks good on paper but not practical. The soup wasn't hot anymore by the time you sit down, a shame. The girl who worked there kept telling us how the owner has traveled far and wide to find authentic Pho recipes...if so, then serve it the traditional way too! Where you can put your own herbs and veggies in on your own instead of going 'Subway-serve it yourself style' yet charge more for a bowl than they do in the big cities. Broth was super dark but tasted ok. We also ordered some Banh Mi sandwiches with 'grilled pork' as it said on the menu board. Shocked to find that when we bit into it, it was shredded pork mixed with mayo perhaps-- it was like pork spread. Completely not authentic and an odd spin off of traditional banh mi. Also it was super salty! Also ordered iced Vietnamese coffee and it was WAY OFF the mark. It was super thin and bland, like ice coffee at Starbucks. Traditionally it should be a thick mixture of chicory coffee and condensed milk...obviously chicory not used. So after hearing about the owner's travels, etc, we were pretty disappointed. Great ideas but poorly executed food.

2  Thank J T
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Sub was ok, but nothing special. Better than a standard sandwich from most places in town though.

Pho was pretty good, and a small was filling. I should have added more veggies, but will do that on the next visit.

Background music was quite annoying, but at least the volume was not so loud that it overpowered everything else.

Overall, a good, local place, and worth a visit.

1  Thank HammerheadMontana
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Coming from northern Virginia where a large population of Vietnamese live, I am accustomed to eating authentic Pho. In fact, at home, I eat pho at a highly rated restaurant where that is all they serve. The pho at Real Pho in Bozeman is not as good, BUT it is almost as good. I was incredibly but pleasantly surprised to find such good Vietnamese soup in Montana. Pho Bo, which is the traditional Hanoi pho is the following: anise flavored beef broth with rice noodles and various cuts of beef or beef meatballs. The traditional add ons are bean sprouts, Thai basil, cilantro, sliced white onion, chopped scallions, sliced jalepenos, and lime. Hoisin and hot sauce can be added to taste. At Pho Real all these additions are available to enhance the delicious broth. For the reviewers who complain that other vegetables ALSO are available, I would just say: don't add them - use them in other soups that can be created with the chicken, curry, or vegetable broths or in the sandwiches, but don't discourage others from enjoying the excellent Pho from Pho Real. And to the reviewer who points out that this is not a vietnamese restaurant because it specializes in soup (and banh mi) I say the name of the place is REAL PHO, and its the real deal!

1  Thank Karyn S