“Fine for the price”

Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Bozeman
Sandy, Utah
“Fine for the price”
Reviewed 11 April 2010

We got stuck here recently when we were on the road at night and it started snowing and we didn't feel like traveling further. You aren't going to luxury at the price we paid, but the room we had was clean and large. Our only complaint was the thin walls that made it difficult to ignore the party going on next door. The wi-fi signal in our room was weak but usable.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
willecoyotefeet
Reviewed 3 April 2010

The place could use a good handy man and some one more skilled in the cleaning department. You expect some things with an older hotel, but when they can't replace broken furniture or keep the towel racks and curtain rods up you wonder what else is being neglected. The only clean thing in our room was the sheets and the towels. The bathroom floor had something that resembled rat droppings on the floor and there was food under the furniture. There was also plenty of dog poop in the parking lot making it hard to get to and from your car without stepping in it. We had made reservations for multiple nights and barely could stay through one. The lady at the counter was very apologetic and promised to talk with the manager and to do her best to improve the conditions within the hotel. I only expected to get my remaining nights refunded, but they refunded them all, only keeping the deposit amount from when I reserved the room.‎

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Bozeman hotels

Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 3 March 2010

3 min south of I-90 in Bozeman; Room 43 was large, squeaky clean and well furnished. In spite of the motel's name ("Budget Inn"), it is not a schlocky place. Welcomed at 9:30 pm by a polite gentleman; simple registration and parking. Rm 43 is far enough off 7th Street to be very quiet. Continental breakfast included bagels, donuts, cereal, juice and coffee. IHOP and numerous other chain restaurants are within a 5 minute drive. Good experience.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Elgin, Texas
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Stayed here while in transit to Yellowstone National Park. The college student at the front desk was very friendly when I checked in and the young lady at the front desk when I checked out was equally as nice. Both suggested going to the Museum of the Rockies - go if you have the time. Very reasonably priced, parking available in front of your room and a free continental breakfast was included. Several restaurants (fast food and dine-in) are very close by and a major grocery store within walking distance.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Montana
Reviewed 29 August 2009

A local motel located on North 7th Street. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. It's not a 4- or 5- star motel, but definitely worth the price. The room was clean and spacious. If you want a reasonable price for an average room for a night or two, this is the place. Lodging is pretty expensive in Bozeman, and this is a good deal for a hard-working family.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank summertimeMontana
California
Reviewed 27 July 2009

My family of 5 were on an extended camping trip through 4 national parks and after much deliberation and internet reviewing booked a night here to allow us to visit family in the area- we were very happy with the accommodations - stayed in room 10 which is a triple bed which worked out perfect since we had just spent the last 5 days all together in the tent! The room was clean and furnished with a fridge, a microwave and a nice TV which my kids greeted like a long lost brother! This particular room had a pair of queen beds in main room and an additional bed in a separate room which had a rear access to the rooms toilet/bath. The fridge sure came in handy for our group traveling with ice chest, and the laundry room sure was welcome- a pair of washers and dryers. WooHoo! We were kindly offered laundry soap and fabric softener if we needed it by Mr. Robert H. who was "on the counter"!
enjoyed his conversation- the staff were very friendly and we encountered no problems at all. Parking spots assigned to the room its in front of which I sure did appreciate- did I mention we cannot camp without the suburban packed to (and piled upon!) the roof!
The hotel/motel is indeed dated from the sixties- the style is classic! I live off the old Route 66 and it could have fit in no problem! I have read some of the other postings and can say we did not have the misfortune of drunkards next door so it was quiet for us (been there before though- bummer!) . We found this place to be a really good deal and would stay there again- we do wish we had more time to visit the city of Bozeman itself- a brief walk downtown was not enough - there were some cool little bars, restaurants and shops we wish we could have visited, but we got in late and leading kids. The Royal 7 is just off the main route and I think maybe a mile to the downtown district if that- we were killing a bit of time.
Breakfast continental was simple - doughnuts or pastry and coffee or juice.
All in all I could recommend staying here to my friends easily (and have!)!

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Bismarck, N.D., USA
Reviewed 15 March 2009

We just got home from a long weekend stay in Bozeman where we had gone to go skiing. I was looking for a cheap place to crash for myself and a son in his mid-teens. We planned to spend our days on the slopes and just needed a reasonably clean, reasonably quiet, no-frills place to collapse after hard days of skiing. Based on reviews I read on this website, a visit to the Royal 7 website, and a phone call to the establishment, I decided to give it a try, the kicker was their promotion "the third night is half-price!" So what the heck, the Lord hates a coward, right?

We checked in and got our room keys. The doors are equipped with the credit card style keys which somewhat surprised me with a motel of this era. The Royal 7 is a "motel" meaning you drive your vehicle right up to the room door. We found the room to be very spacious with two large beds with nice firm mattresses and two nice fluffy down pillows on each bed. The bathroom was very large with a tub/shower, sink, stool and linoleum floor. There were plenty of towels and wash cloths, enough for four people. The room has a good sized dorm style fridge, microwave, and a four cup coffee maker as well as a large color TV and remote. Not bad, not the Taj Mahal mind you, but certainly adequate for what we had in mind*.

*Did you see the asterisk? Here goes.

I did read one review in which the reviewer stated that the carpet in his/her room was a little less than clean. We also did notice this in our room, specifically, there was a small amount of white feathers, presumably from the feather pillows along the baseboards near the headboards of the bed. Most disturbing was a small pile of crumbs on the floor in an area between the beds (ironically, those crumbs got vacuumed up by the housekeeper after our first night's stay). If I were the owner of this hotel, I'd go ahead and purchase a few Dyson vacuums complete with on-board attachments with instructions for my housekeepers to hit the nooks and crannies. On a side note, I always, ALWAYS, wear slippers and/or socks in ANY motel/hotel room I stay in no matter how the flooring looks to the naked eye. You'll just have to trust me on that one, and believe me, its GREAT advice from someone "in the know".

This morning, at around bar close time (two thirty-ish) I heard the gentlemen in the next room come home from what sounded like a night of heavy drinking. It was then that I remembered the references to noise complaints from other reviewers of the Royal 7. The chaps next door were typical drunks, loud, animated, and profane. The front-desk gives fair warning that there is no one there after 11 p.m. but, just to see whether there was an on site manager screening the incoming messages, I called and left one. Sadly, but predictably, it did no good. I figured the "drunks next door" would eventually tire and fall asleep and at about four, they did so, and so did I. I had gone to bed at about eleven so, I wound up getting about six hours of sleep and was able to make the five hundred fifty mile drive home without too much problem, thanks to the chattering of my son and with the help of his fully loaded IPod. (Oh, and yes, when I awakened at six thirty, I did turn on the cartoon network, had to kinda crank up the volume so I could hear those punchlines while I was in the shower!)

Hey, if you're a bunch of dudes (or dude-ettes) heading to Bozeman to go skiing, hiking, or fishing, give the Royal 7 a shot if you're looking for a cheap place to crash. If, on the other hand, you choose this as a spot along the honeymoon trail, you'll be lucky to see your first year anniversary!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family