“Great lodging, food, ambience and river guiding”

Gallatin River Lodge
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Bozeman
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Restaurant is very good. Had rainbow trout - usually all I get to do with a rainbow trout is catch and release - and it was exceptional. Wine list is very nice. Sat on porch with a glass of Pinot Noir and a cigar and we were treated royally. Rooms are very well appointed and ecologically oriented. Everyone we encountered was exceptional. Generally I fish out of Madison Valley Ranch in Ennis, so it's nice to know there is another very nice Lodge near-by. Our fishing guide Willie was not only an exceptional fisherman, but he didn't throw us out of the boat when he realized that as fishermen we made great dry cleaners. Add it to your list and see you on the Madison or Gallatin or Yellowstone......

Room Tip: Lower level facing the pond. 103 is good once people stop talking below the window.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Gallatin River Lodge

Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stumbled upon this lodge and it was simple but classy. We stayed outside the main lodge and the rooms were quite small with a large shower. We were hoping for a much larger room but we only stayed one night. If you want to stay here, you'll want to ask about staying in the main lodge and ask for a larger room, although the prices here pretty steep. My husband went fly fishing in the afternoon and caught 6 trouts and lost about 12, so he was very happy. You got a menu for breakfast and you can select what you'd like and the menu is nice. The main lodge is simple and rustic.....very clean rooms and very comfortable bedding. Would definitely stay here again, but I would get a bigger room. They are quite a distance from town (about 6 miles). The staff was very friendly and Keith was awesome....thanks Keith for a memorable evening at the Gallatin River Lodge.

Room Tip: Stay in the Main Lodge if you can afford it. Rooms outside the lodge are quite small.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ukienomad
Reviewed 8 September 2012

My husband and I just ate here again to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary. I am glad we had a reservation as they were seating most everyone outside and in the patio room and there were more guests than we expected. We had a lovely view of the pond and the surrounding area, although it was pretty smokey from the forest fires nearby so we couldn't see the mountains.

The service was great with very friendly servers.

We had an amazing meal (I had almond / pine nut crusted walleye and my husband had the local tenderloin). At the end of our meal we were too full to enjoy desert there, but they packaged one for us to take home with us.

We love this place, the atmosphere is quiet and calming. We got married here 3 years ago, before the addition of more guest rooms. We had 32 wedding guests and had our ceremony out by the pond and reception in the patio room. We did spend our wedding night there and had an amazing 'made to order' breakfast the next morning. My husband and I both fly fish so it was fitting that we got married at a fly fishing lodge. Fly fishing in my wedding gown was pretty great.

We have also had Easter Brunch here which was delightful.

I love having this as our special memories at the Gallatin River Lodge.

Room Tip: I had a room on the first floor which was ideal when walking out the room to my wedding ceremony at...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lmz2108
Reviewed 6 September 2012

If your travels take you to Bozeman, you would do well to travel a few miles beyond town to this wonderful lodge. It is beautifully set among far-reaching meadows. A short walk to the Gallatin River allows for great fishing, but for those who just want to relax in peace and quiet - this is your place. Lovely room, great breakfasts, first rate dining and a friendly staff make this the perfect getaway spot!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2012 via mobile

Very unique, easy, magical even. We had a great time here. The restaurant is delicious and offers a spectacular view of the grounds. We live in NYC and our meal was the best we had of the entire Yellowstone/Jackson Hole trip with an excellent bottle of wine and the ambiance and view competed with Yellowstone. One issue we had was the price of the room which was a little steep. Overall, no regrets.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 4 August 2012

My wife and were looking for a long-deserved rest and relaxation and wanted to be pampered. We were not disappointed! What a great experience; we will return and you should get your butts out there as well. Our room had a comfortable king bed with the most seductive sheets and pillows; there was a big jacuzzi tub and a comfortable shower. A fireplace and a large screen TV, with a comfortable sofa rounded out the room. And, I always love it when they throw in free wi-fi. It was roomy and comfortable. The staff is friendly and attentive; just look like you need something to drink and someone asks you if they can get you a drink. The service for the entire stay was outstanding. Dinner was extraordinary, we had the walleye cakes appetizer as well as the scallops in a gorgonzola cream sauce. I loved both and ended up dipping bread in the left over cream sauce. The scallops were cooked perfectly as were the walleye cakes. I had the chief's special smoked pork chop with a flathead cherry glaze with yukon gold potatoes and a crunchy vegetable medley. The pork chop was out of this world. It was nice and moist with a great smokey flavor. I left no potatoes or veggies on my plate... what does that tell you? My wife had almond crusted walleye, off the menu, which was cooked perfectly; we both enjoyed it. The bread was also very good. For dessert, we shared a cheesecake that was yummy. Of note is a very good beer list and an extraordinary wine list. We tried a couple of Oregon Pinot Noirs, which were outstanding. I am going to bore you all before I get to talk about the breakfasts... fresh eggs, cooked anyway you want them.... omelets, pancakes... the best friend egg, cheese and bacon sandwiches that you have ever tasted.. try it on their homemade english muffins. Oh year, and the fresh juices and fruit. Our stay was so great that I have concern about the one previous review (by someone who seems to be aptly named). I know this is America and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that review was so out of whack with our stay and the rest of the reviews, that I have to question it. It comes across as something written by a competitor or a friend of a competitor. I can't imagine that the reviewer stayed at the same place that we did.

Room Tip: The view is incredible!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank philly099
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Gallatin River Lodge for our 1st wedding anniversary while in Bozeman. We had originally only had plans to eat here for dinner, but wanted to extend our stay. I had emailed the lodge at 11:30pm the night before our dinner reservation, inquiring if they had any rooms available. Promptly at 7:30 am, I was called by the manager Keith, informing me that they did in fact have rooms available. I was offered a room, and personal invitation to come fly fish their 2 or 3 miles private access to the Gallatin river. I immediately booked the room over the phone and awaited my arrival.

Upon arriving at the lodge, we were greeted by name as if we were family, or if we had been there before, even though it was our first time staying at GRL! As a former employee of a AAA 5 diamond resort, I certainly did not expect this level of sincere service in the middle of Montana. Boy, was I suprised. Keith the manager gave us a tour or the property, and lodge, showed us to our room, and even offered to carry up our bags.

The room was absolutely immaculate, flat screen tv, king bed, jacuzzi tub, and everything one could need in a room. Bed was comfortable, and the room had a "at home feeling."

Dinner was spectacular, with cocktails before. As an avid BBQ'er/griller, the chef's special smoked pork chop was one of the best I have ever had. The dining room was overlooking the trout pond and deer grazing in the field. We ended the evening with a fantastic creme brulee, and another fantastic cocktail, along with a walk along the property, to the gallatin river to fish the evening hatch while watching 2 fawn deer and several others graze near by.

We woke up feeling refreshed, and had a terrific breakfast overlooking the pond and field. I will definitely return, and recommend this lodge to all of my clients. Overall rating 5/5 stars. The staff and views made this an anniversary that will not soon be forgotten.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple