“Not a happy camper”

Gallatin River Lodge
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Bozeman
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had a great check in experience and she was helpful and welcoming and brought me tea when I asked for it. However she didn't tell me there were specific breakfast times. I thought this was a restaurant open for all meals and wish someone would have let me know. Also, I had asked about room types and was only told the cabins offered more privacy. Well, she put me in room 101 right off the lobby and I heard every word anyone said, every chair moved every cough, etc. There must be no insulation between the first and second floors as I heard every foot step, word and things I did not want to hear the entire time I was there. It sounded like they were moving furniture it was so loud up there. The next am was even worse. The acoustics just carry and it's very loud. Not relaxing at all. I would have switched rooms but it was 9pm when I checked in and I was exhausted. I drove from Kalispell with meetings all along the way in every town and was in no mood to be woken up at 6am the next am. The shades offer zero shade and every person in the lobby who made any noise I heard every thing. I heard the phone call of the guy in the room upstairs that am. Every word. Which was disappointing as I had phone calls to make but chose not to as there was obviously no privacy.

Be forewarned too: this is down a gravel unpaved road into the middle of a field. For Bozeman, to only have a view of a field is disappointing. There is no mountain view or much of a view beyond a big field in the middle of no where. I saw a huge spider in my room and went to kill it but it disappeared. I guess being in a huge field in the middle of no where this is standard fare but should be fore warned just the same.

About 10:50am Cindy came banging on my door stating Housekeeping very loudly (clearly not dressed like a housekeeper) and was quite rude demanding if I was sleeping? Um no clearly I'm not. If they want to know when I'm checking out there are much less rude, annoying ways of going about this. Also when I asked about breakfast she was quick to say it's over but offered a to go of yogurt which I'm lactose intolerant so not an option for me.

I come from Colorado and travel weekly throughout the western US. This was possibly the worst nights sleep I've had in a year or more. If you want to stay here I highly recommend avoiding room 101 and suggest letting anyone know the serious lack of privacy, noise, and light exposure involved in this room. I had to be up early every other day this week except this one day where I planned to sleep in a little. Definitely did not happen and ruined my whole day planned in Bozeman. I was sleep deprived and had low blood sugar upon leaving. I was so happy to get out of the middle of no where place and cannot imagine what they were thinking locating this place and building it with no sound proofing. No one wants to hear their neighbors.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Melissa N
fishflymt, Manager at Gallatin River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Melissa,

We regret to hear that you had an unpleasant experience with us during your visit. While we do appreciate guest feedback and use if to help improve our overall experience, we feel it necessary to clarify a couple points you mentioned. All of our Suites & Rooms on the property include a visible binder that provides Check-in / Check-out times plus Breakfast & Dinner hours. Check-out is scheduled at 10:00am, with breakfast being served until 9:30am. Our Office attempted to call your suite prior to knocking on your door at 10:50am. Since no one answered the phone, and we had not seen you for breakfast, we assumed you had departed early. We are a small boutique hotel with a limited, but very attentive, staff. We strive to assure everyone has a pleasant and relaxing stay. While the majority of our guests enjoy our location away from a major road or highway, some people prefer a more convenient accessible chain hotel style establishment with views of large parking lots and fast food restaurants. We are definitely not that, and have not misrepresented ourselves in any information available. As for the noise level, we apologize. We ask all of our guests to be mindful of quiet hours for evenings and early mornings. We seldom have problems with people not respecting this request.

We thank you for your feedback. We will continue to grow and provide the highest level of service and overall guest experience.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed one night here. The room was spacious with separate twin beds for the kids. The lodge is nicely maintained and has an excellent restaurant for dinner. We took advantage of family fly fishing lessons on the trout pond on the premises. The kids also enjoyed running around the property and playing both the outside games like horseshoes, as well as board games in the second floor parlor. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mera99
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We were originally booked to stay a night at the lodge but then decided against staying based on some of the TA comments and the $300/night cost. The cost didn't bother is as much as the cost based on the comments. We had dinner at the lodge and felt it was very good and would return for dinner. After dinner, we looked at a few rooms in the main lodge and although nice, tough to justify double or more the cost of a room closer to Bozeman.

Note that the lodge is a short drive west of Bozeman and this shouldn't be an issue. I was surprised by the final bill which was reasonable from the perspective of cost for glasses of wine and drinks (Tangueray and tonic $7.00) and dessert. The scallop appetizer was very good. My entrée of local beef tenderloin was excellent and the chef cooked it to my specification exactly , the potatoes a bit undercooked which is surprising for a five star restaurant. There are no vegetarian entrees on the menu but the chef cooked up a pasta with vegetables that was good but not spectacular.

Room Tip: Unless you love jacuzzi tubs in your room, consider not staying in the main lodge or if possible ask...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WyoBruin
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed her for a night with my son. Great location. Very nice facilities. Great staff all around. Went fish fishing with guide Ryan on the Madison -- first time for fly fishing. Great guide and teacher. Highly recommend the Lodge!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We were doing a long road trip through Yellowstone and made some last minutes changes and decided to go to Bozeman. Found this amazing place on TA and they had dog friendly rooms. Great hotel - great food. Staff very accomodating and room was well appointed. It is located about 15 minutes from downtown Bozeman but you can't find a better restaurant with wide open windows looking out onto the view.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sanjuanfoodie
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We needed a short vacation. We wanted to ski and not deal with lots of people. We also wanted great food. We had it all here. Ski all day, have a great meal ready upon our return and relax in our in-room jacuzzi by the fire. We can't wait to return. Spoiled is an under statement.

Room Tip: Pick the lodge rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ken and Debb C
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My husband and I have eaten at the restaurant at the lodge once before for a business dinner, but this was our first time staying in the hotel. We both have spring fever, so we decided to take advantage of their Winter Romance Package. From the time we entered the lodge, the service was spectacular! We were greeted warmly upon arrival, and every employee of the hotel/restaurant that we interacted with was exceptional.

The room was well appointed, and the jacuzzi and fireplace were wonderful. Our neighbors were a little noisy upstairs in the morning, but other than that it was very quiet. We also enjoyed hanging out by the fireplace in the lobby after dinner.

Our dinner was excellent. We especially loved the scallops appetizer.

Keep up the good work. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple