Review Highlights
A real Montana Adventure!!

I had only 3 short days, booked at very late notice..but even so: the highlight of my year. The... read more

Reviewed 24 January 2019
suzannesav
Dublin, Ireland
Unforgettable trip

A friend, my daughter and I went to Lonesome Spur Ranch last summer 2017. Elaine, Lonnie and Mary... read more

Reviewed 15 April 2018
SilviaS6462

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 September 2007

My best friend & I are experienced riders and had been promising ourselves a ranching holiday for years. We didn't want a 'dude ranch' but a proper working ranch where we could learn something new - and this was it!

All the staff were great and made us feel part of the family. We had fantastic cattle horses who taught us all about riding challenging terrain and herding steers. We also met a great bunch of like-minded women with whom we will keep in touch and maybe meet out there again for another action packed holiday.

Don't expect to follow a set itinerary - neither cattle not the weather can read! If you just want to gallop about a bit and shout yee haa, then pick a dude ranch - this is a real working ranch with real people, real cattle and real working horses! Fantastic!

PS there's also a hot-tub and massage service!

3  Thank LonesomeCowgirl
Reviewed 18 September 2007

I had wanted for so long to stay on a working ranch in America and was advised this was a proper working ranch and that I would really enjoy the experience. That was an understatement, I loved every minute of it. The people were fantastic, the horses great and the scenery was stunning. We rode across wide open spaces and moved cattle across all types of terrain on sure footed and responsive horses who knew their job. We shopped, visited some lovely towns and were fed extremely well. We met some fantastic people on the ranch and hope that they will become good friends. Lonnie and Elaine were great hosts and along with Mike (the rattle snack catcher) made the holiday the best I've ever had. We were so sad to leave and will be booking in again ASAP! This is a working ranch and not a resort ranch with a set timetable, everything can change by morning but that made the time there more interesting for me.

2  Thank ResponsibleAdult
Reviewed 18 September 2007

We planned to have a week at the ranch followed by a week touring montana but we didnt want to leave lonesome spur so toured for 4 days and went back to the ranch for the end of our holiday. It really did feel like coming home.
We can't recommend this place highly enough, Lonnie and Elaine are excellent hosts, the horses are fantastic and the wrangler Mike was great fun and very professional.
Each day with the horses was a new adventure, the beartooth mountain rides were especially spectactular.
A tip for any cowgirl - travel light as there is lots of great stuff to buy!

1  Thank hotcoral
Reviewed 26 June 2007

Beware their advertising is fraudulent and the quality of service horrible. We had researched 100's of guest ranches and chose this vacation location wanting to stay at a working cattle ranch where we could gallop across the range, experience cattle work, and enjoy fresh and home cooked meals.

As stated on their personal website Fees were to include:
a.Basic riding instruction: this did not occur
b.Horse safety instruction: was minimal
c.Arena work: this never occurred
d.Daily packed lunch: was not provided one day
e.River float: this was never offered
f.Overnight buffalo camp: was not as advertised

They state this is a Working Cattle and Bison Ranch of 34,000 acres. It is less than 200 acres and they do not own cattle, but help another rancher miles away with his cattle.The horses need to be trailered 45 min. away to do the cattle work. There were only 3 bison with 2 calves and 2 long horned steers with a calf at the ranch.

Horse Pace: is not for advanced riders as advertised. The first day was 6 hours nose to tail riding and when asked where we could gallop to "cut the horses loose and run" (as discussed and shown in their web video) were told “due to liability of riding on other ranchers land there was no galloping and the area had too many rocks and holes.” The arena was the only place but someone had to be there and this was rarely possible.

The Overnight Buffalo Camp Trip was in a small narrow gully, no view overlooking the Bighorn and Pryor Mountains. It was not on a open range to ride across and there were no cattle to check. There was also no herd of 500 buffalo grazing.

There was no rides to the pictographs or drive to Pryor mountain. No pole bending, Mok See games, team penning or roping in the arena.

Meals:
a. Denny's restaurant quality.
b. most of the deserts were grocery store bought and defrosted
c. the same lunch was served daily, meat was packaged, not deli and given processed sliced cheese.
d. the vegetable garden was only full of weeds
e.there was never fresh-baked breads, it was white weber
f. breakfasts so unsatisfactory a guest offered to make them
g. dinner had only 2 or 3 dishes served not 4 as listed
e.Insufficient amount of food for dinner, some dishes we had to ration portions to ensure enough for everyone.
f. no Beef: all of the guests offered to buy beef, but told beef wasn’t served until Saturday.
g. Ice was never served and when requested was rudely told we had to bring our own.
h. one dinner was fried chicken and salads bought from the grocery store deli.

The Wrangler was berating, denigrating, and dismissive when requesting additional instructions, asking questions, and if we did things perceived as incorrect. We discontinued efforts to resolve issues as only intimidating and unreasonable responses resulted. The owners were absent Wednesday morning to Thursday afternoon making it impossible to discuss his blatant disregard and inhospitable treatment.

We are world travelers, mostly done on a budget. We both wanted a exciting and rewarding experience and decided to splurge on this vacation. Things could not have been any worse. Well the only complaints we didn't have was the accommodations and the health and treatment of the horses.

10  Thank crfish
Reviewed 4 August 2006

Wow - what an amazing adventure - The Lonesome Spur is a real working ranch --- the scenery was beautiful-- --the people were mesmerizing --the culture was intriguing -- the experience was priceless!

This was the real deal - I didn't see another tourist the whole week - I was faced with physical and mental challenges - and even to my amazement, I ate corral dust a few times, conquered any "I can'ts" and cowboyed up!

I became one with the land, camped , drove cattle, sidesteped rattlesnakes, saw Indian pictographs, hiked, rode high in the saddle, attended the Cody Rodeo, toured Yellowstone, got saddle sores, drove up the Beartooth Pass, saw Elk/Moose up close and personal, visited southwest Wyoming, saw wild horses int he Pryor Mtns, attended a Mtn man Rendevous, explored an Ice Cave, watched geysers erupt - All in all, I'd give it an infiniti out of 10!

5  Thank areif123