Review Highlights
A real Montana Adventure!!

I had only 3 short days, booked at very late notice..but even so: the highlight of my year. The... read more

Reviewed 24 January 2019
suzannesav
Dublin, Ireland
Unforgettable trip

A friend, my daughter and I went to Lonesome Spur Ranch last summer 2017. Elaine, Lonnie and Mary... read more

Reviewed 15 April 2018
SilviaS6462

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My best friend and I have just come back from a week at the Lonesome Spur Ranch, and I have to say I have had the best time of my life. Elaine and Lonnie opened their home up to me and made me feel so very welcome.
The riding and scenery is out of this world, rode around the hill and saw the mares and foals, moved cattle in the lush terrain of Nicky's "Jolliette", spent two days herding cattle up the Pryor Mountains, and a day in the arid terrain of Cotton Wood.
Pizza and pool night at Buckeye!!
Brad very kindly to us into Wyoming to a tack shop, and out for ice-cream then off to the 4th July celebrations in Red Lodge and then on to the Rodeo. Mexican for dinner.
The food is tasty and wholesome, and the pack up lunches where perfect.
The horses are amazing, and the ranch caters for all riding abilities. BUT this is a working ranch, so expect hard riding, long days depending on where you are going, and early mornings...horses come first.
I have made some great forever friends. I will be returning, that is for sure.
A HUGE THANK YOU to Elaine, Lonnie, Glen, Brad, Nicky, Barry you are all awesome.

Date of experience: July 2014
Reviewed 27 February 2012

everything, Montana, Wyoming, the ranch, the horses, and the people i have met. the people of Bridge are very nice also, and Lonnie and Elaine

Date of experience: May 2011
1  Thank montana63
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Thank you once again to Lonnie, Elaine, Mike and Luke for a great holiday.
I have been lucky enough to be travelling to the Lonesome Spur Ranch for some years now and it gets better and better.
I would like to point out here that this is a Working Ranch and not a guest or dude ranch. I go to experience a working ranch which includes everything and I mean everything! From catching and saddling the horses to rounding up and moving cattle sometimes being in the saddle for 8 hours. There's branding in the spring and sorting in the Autumn so very hands on work. Hard but not fast riding however when out on a pleasure ride there's plenty of opportunity for 'cantering'. we get that opportunity to when learning to 'team rope' in the arena which is great fun.
As to the ranch itself its come on so much since my first visit. You can stay in the big house, the Bunk house or the cabins. I like the big house. All of them are ranch furnished and are very homely with there own facilities.A welcome basket awaits you with fruit and nibbles which I replenished when out.
There's fresh bedlinen and towels for those of us lucky enough to be there more than a week you just ask. Eating is in the main barn and Mike as ever served up great food and plenty of it. The only time I had to put my hand in my pocket was on off ranch activities such as the rodeo which happens once a week through the season. We went out at least three times a week in the evenings, the rodeo, Sunday evenings meal at the local bar, paid by the ranch, and at least one trip down to the Little Cowboy Bar and its museum, a must.
If you go at the right time of year there's the Indian ride over the land that Custer rode on the way to the Battle of the Little Bighorn and you get to sleep in a Tepee!! A great experience riding the Indian ponies with Indian guides.
Now the most important thing, the horses, there great all standards are catered for and unlike some ranches you get the chance to ride different horses although there are favourites!!!
All in all a great holiday although there's lots going on there is time for yourself even if its just sitting on the veranda looking a the views or taking a walk up Schwend Hill.
Please do try it but remember its a working ranch.

Date of experience: September 2011
1  Thank skifiasco
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Good rancher, good horses, but no attention to guests.

None of the advertised activities were available, no cow work, only nose-to-tail riding. The host was nowhere, not even having supper with the guests.

We left after three days of a planned six day vacation. Too bad after a long trip from Europe.

Date of experience: August 2011
5  Thank JP B
Reviewed 28 July 2011

A stunning location and wonderful rides so can't say I didn't enjoy the holiday - The ride with Cathy and Kevin the absolute highlight and the most wonderful people - felt safe and confident in their company -
However the organization and general facilities left a lot to be desired - Cabins compact and poorly furnished - lack of drawer/hanging space, not cleaned during stay, no change sheets or towels - not all on suite and if unlucky enough to get one cabin you will have to share bathroom with anyone who happens toneed to use it as it is located within the cleaning store and not locked! Food average but depends if another new chef is in situ
If you want something ASK for it -there appeared to be a hierarchy of guests - some who got more attention as known and others who were left to their own devices when not on a long ride or cattle drive - no alternatives arranged or apparently thought about.
Appreciate that 'working ranch' but you have paid a lot of money and entitled to certain standards

Date of experience: July 2011