Review Highlights
A real Montana Adventure!!

I had only 3 short days, booked at very late notice..but even so: the highlight of my year. The... read more

Reviewed 24 January 2019
suzannesav
Dublin, Ireland
Unforgettable trip

A friend, my daughter and I went to Lonesome Spur Ranch last summer 2017. Elaine, Lonnie and Mary... read more

Reviewed 15 April 2018
SilviaS6462

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 November 2014

look at the dates of the previous reviews.
It needs some catching up with now in late 2014. We were 3 pensioner ladies all riders. we had to save for this trip. The owners were not there to help us as Lonnie was very poorly after surgery Elaine had gone barrel racing. Although Lonnie picked us up from Billings he informed us that he had a doctors appointment and would have to drop us off at a store. we were there nearly 2 hours, after our long trip from England we wanted to see the horses and ranch. The horses were good, but quite a few had fungal infection where the girth went,no wonder they had never been washed., we tried to clean our bridles but were told not to, we tried to pick out the hooves, but were told not to. We had only a small bar of soap, no other toiletries, no welcome pack, and no water bottles for the ride the next day to go in saddle bag.
The one hot tub was broken, the other one smelt terrible and you had to use upturned orange box to get in it, it was situated next to the kitchen with rubbish at the side of it,NICE!
The pool table you could not see as there was things piled on top of it, but nobody told us where it was anyway, I only found it as I needed to find the washing machine, no one told us where that was either. it was a matter of have a look round as see what you can find!!!!!
The meals were not good, we were looking forward to home cooking, No there was none of that, one morning we were told that we could only have 1 rasher of bacon, as no body had done the shopping. The horses had this happen I day we couldn't feed them as there was no horse feed, until someone went to fetch a bag.
We did meet some lovely people that made our stay pleasurable Nicky was great, Glen was entertaining, Brad was a gentleman, And Jane was just great, if she hadn't have been there we would have been lost. As they advertise WIFI there was none.
The list goes on
When Elaine came back from barrel racing she asked us if we wanted a go GREAT we thought.
we were told to be ready at 4pm down at barn. 1and half hours later at 5.30 Elaine turns up saying she had fell asleep. Is this the way you treat paying guests, I DONT THINK SO

Date of experience: September 2014
1  Thank jacqueline b
Reviewed 4 November 2014

this holiday was a disappointment as some things were not as i expected. both owners are no longer young. lonnie was in a lot of pain so understandebly we saw little of him.elaine was competing barrel racing so only saw her at the end of our stay, hacked out 1 time with us. we went on 2round ups only.so not much work to experiance...one evening were supposed to do barrel racing at the ranch. we got the horses ready and hung around eventually got message from lonnie it was cancelled, because it looked like rain. it did,nt. again i think he was too crook to appear, the brochure said welcome packs of toiletries,drinks,snacks. only a tiny bar of soap?also in brochure, dutch oven cook out, and visit the mares and youngsters. this never happened.2cooks in the canteen. meals poor the eggs were hard and dry, coffee ghastly, one day bacon had not been delivered, yoghurts poor cheap so tried one had 2trash, one day elaine cooked and was huge inprovement!!11 puddings were written as sumptious??????????????????? most evenings it was ice cream, cup cakes shop bought, oh dear. i paid a lot of money for this trip, i am a pensioner.my other riding holidays in india,sri lanka, turkey, portugal,jordan were excellent value with lots of hours on horse back, i feel i have been cheated this time. the owners need to really be around to check paying guests are getting value. 2spas were advertised, one was broken, the other smelt stale.tack was not cleaned, no hoof picks to check feet of horses! i guess i am used to a higher standard.i wish them luck in the future, but they should consider a representative on the ranch to look after our interests. shirl spratley

Date of experience: October 2014
3  Thank Shirley S
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My best friend and I have just come back from a week at the Lonesome Spur Ranch, and I have to say I have had the best time of my life. Elaine and Lonnie opened their home up to me and made me feel so very welcome.
The riding and scenery is out of this world, rode around the hill and saw the mares and foals, moved cattle in the lush terrain of Nicky's "Jolliette", spent two days herding cattle up the Pryor Mountains, and a day in the arid terrain of Cotton Wood.
Pizza and pool night at Buckeye!!
Brad very kindly to us into Wyoming to a tack shop, and out for ice-cream then off to the 4th July celebrations in Red Lodge and then on to the Rodeo. Mexican for dinner.
The food is tasty and wholesome, and the pack up lunches where perfect.
The horses are amazing, and the ranch caters for all riding abilities. BUT this is a working ranch, so expect hard riding, long days depending on where you are going, and early mornings...horses come first.
I have made some great forever friends. I will be returning, that is for sure.
A HUGE THANK YOU to Elaine, Lonnie, Glen, Brad, Nicky, Barry you are all awesome.

Date of experience: July 2014
Reviewed 27 February 2012

everything, Montana, Wyoming, the ranch, the horses, and the people i have met. the people of Bridge are very nice also, and Lonnie and Elaine

Date of experience: May 2011
1  Thank montana63
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Thank you once again to Lonnie, Elaine, Mike and Luke for a great holiday.
I have been lucky enough to be travelling to the Lonesome Spur Ranch for some years now and it gets better and better.
I would like to point out here that this is a Working Ranch and not a guest or dude ranch. I go to experience a working ranch which includes everything and I mean everything! From catching and saddling the horses to rounding up and moving cattle sometimes being in the saddle for 8 hours. There's branding in the spring and sorting in the Autumn so very hands on work. Hard but not fast riding however when out on a pleasure ride there's plenty of opportunity for 'cantering'. we get that opportunity to when learning to 'team rope' in the arena which is great fun.
As to the ranch itself its come on so much since my first visit. You can stay in the big house, the Bunk house or the cabins. I like the big house. All of them are ranch furnished and are very homely with there own facilities.A welcome basket awaits you with fruit and nibbles which I replenished when out.
There's fresh bedlinen and towels for those of us lucky enough to be there more than a week you just ask. Eating is in the main barn and Mike as ever served up great food and plenty of it. The only time I had to put my hand in my pocket was on off ranch activities such as the rodeo which happens once a week through the season. We went out at least three times a week in the evenings, the rodeo, Sunday evenings meal at the local bar, paid by the ranch, and at least one trip down to the Little Cowboy Bar and its museum, a must.
If you go at the right time of year there's the Indian ride over the land that Custer rode on the way to the Battle of the Little Bighorn and you get to sleep in a Tepee!! A great experience riding the Indian ponies with Indian guides.
Now the most important thing, the horses, there great all standards are catered for and unlike some ranches you get the chance to ride different horses although there are favourites!!!
All in all a great holiday although there's lots going on there is time for yourself even if its just sitting on the veranda looking a the views or taking a walk up Schwend Hill.
Please do try it but remember its a working ranch.

Date of experience: September 2011