Review Highlights
A real Montana Adventure!!

I had only 3 short days, booked at very late notice..but even so: the highlight of my year. The... read more

Reviewed 24 January 2019
suzannesav
Dublin, Ireland
my usa adventure

Reviewed 4 November 2014
Shirley S
paphos

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 July 2015

Would I come back - NO! Rating - Overall 2.5 stars; Cowboy related work/activity - 1 star; Pleasure riding 3 stars. DON'T BELIEVE THE WEB SITE! This is NOT a working cattle ranch. There are NO CATTLE on this ranch. Cowboy activity apparently depends on the needs of another rancher. If he does not have a need, there is no activity. Only 2 days of cattle work were provided: day 1 - 4 hours of herding; day 2- 5 hours of branding et al combined with 4 hours riding. The remaining days consisted of trail rides: 2 times in the same location (Cottonwoods - 1day was plenty); 1 day through scenic high country and 2 days riding around ranch property. The riding totaled 21 hours in a week with 105 hours of daylight.
Prior to coming this week, I ASKED FOR AND WAS TOLD IT WAS THE BUSIEST WEEK AND PERIOD OF THE YEAR FOR PROCESSING CALVES - BRANDING, INOCULATION, EAR TAGGING, CASTRATION AND DE-HORNING. IMAGINE MY SURPRISE to learn that moving cattle for 4 hours and branding et al for 1 day was considered busy.

Date of experience: May 2015
Reviewed 15 November 2014

look at the dates of the previous reviews.
It needs some catching up with now in late 2014. We were 3 pensioner ladies all riders. we had to save for this trip. The owners were not there to help us as Lonnie was very poorly after surgery Elaine had gone barrel racing. Although Lonnie picked us up from Billings he informed us that he had a doctors appointment and would have to drop us off at a store. we were there nearly 2 hours, after our long trip from England we wanted to see the horses and ranch. The horses were good, but quite a few had fungal infection where the girth went,no wonder they had never been washed., we tried to clean our bridles but were told not to, we tried to pick out the hooves, but were told not to. We had only a small bar of soap, no other toiletries, no welcome pack, and no water bottles for the ride the next day to go in saddle bag.
The one hot tub was broken, the other one smelt terrible and you had to use upturned orange box to get in it, it was situated next to the kitchen with rubbish at the side of it,NICE!
The pool table you could not see as there was things piled on top of it, but nobody told us where it was anyway, I only found it as I needed to find the washing machine, no one told us where that was either. it was a matter of have a look round as see what you can find!!!!!
The meals were not good, we were looking forward to home cooking, No there was none of that, one morning we were told that we could only have 1 rasher of bacon, as no body had done the shopping. The horses had this happen I day we couldn't feed them as there was no horse feed, until someone went to fetch a bag.
We did meet some lovely people that made our stay pleasurable Nicky was great, Glen was entertaining, Brad was a gentleman, And Jane was just great, if she hadn't have been there we would have been lost. As they advertise WIFI there was none.
The list goes on
When Elaine came back from barrel racing she asked us if we wanted a go GREAT we thought.
we were told to be ready at 4pm down at barn. 1and half hours later at 5.30 Elaine turns up saying she had fell asleep. Is this the way you treat paying guests, I DONT THINK SO

Date of experience: September 2014
1  Thank jacqueline b
Reviewed 4 November 2014

this holiday was a disappointment as some things were not as i expected. both owners are no longer young. lonnie was in a lot of pain so understandebly we saw little of him.elaine was competing barrel racing so only saw her at the end of our stay, hacked out 1 time with us. we went on 2round ups only.so not much work to experiance...one evening were supposed to do barrel racing at the ranch. we got the horses ready and hung around eventually got message from lonnie it was cancelled, because it looked like rain. it did,nt. again i think he was too crook to appear, the brochure said welcome packs of toiletries,drinks,snacks. only a tiny bar of soap?also in brochure, dutch oven cook out, and visit the mares and youngsters. this never happened.2cooks in the canteen. meals poor the eggs were hard and dry, coffee ghastly, one day bacon had not been delivered, yoghurts poor cheap so tried one had 2trash, one day elaine cooked and was huge inprovement!!11 puddings were written as sumptious??????????????????? most evenings it was ice cream, cup cakes shop bought, oh dear. i paid a lot of money for this trip, i am a pensioner.my other riding holidays in india,sri lanka, turkey, portugal,jordan were excellent value with lots of hours on horse back, i feel i have been cheated this time. the owners need to really be around to check paying guests are getting value. 2spas were advertised, one was broken, the other smelt stale.tack was not cleaned, no hoof picks to check feet of horses! i guess i am used to a higher standard.i wish them luck in the future, but they should consider a representative on the ranch to look after our interests. shirl spratley

Date of experience: October 2014
3  Thank Shirley S
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My best friend and I have just come back from a week at the Lonesome Spur Ranch, and I have to say I have had the best time of my life. Elaine and Lonnie opened their home up to me and made me feel so very welcome.
The riding and scenery is out of this world, rode around the hill and saw the mares and foals, moved cattle in the lush terrain of Nicky's "Jolliette", spent two days herding cattle up the Pryor Mountains, and a day in the arid terrain of Cotton Wood.
Pizza and pool night at Buckeye!!
Brad very kindly to us into Wyoming to a tack shop, and out for ice-cream then off to the 4th July celebrations in Red Lodge and then on to the Rodeo. Mexican for dinner.
The food is tasty and wholesome, and the pack up lunches where perfect.
The horses are amazing, and the ranch caters for all riding abilities. BUT this is a working ranch, so expect hard riding, long days depending on where you are going, and early mornings...horses come first.
I have made some great forever friends. I will be returning, that is for sure.
A HUGE THANK YOU to Elaine, Lonnie, Glen, Brad, Nicky, Barry you are all awesome.

Date of experience: July 2014
Reviewed 27 February 2012

everything, Montana, Wyoming, the ranch, the horses, and the people i have met. the people of Bridge are very nice also, and Lonnie and Elaine

Date of experience: May 2011