“Amazing Experience for the Open-minded”

Lodgepole Gallery and Tipi Village
Montana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience for the Open-minded”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My family just stayed at the wonderful authentic tipi village just west of Browning MT. I live only 30 miles from the village. To the bad reviewers- YOU ARE STAYING IN A TIPI, what did you expect? Yes is it on the ground, yes there are natural things on the ground, like bugs, gophers (along with their holes), etc. but it is supposed to be an AUTHENTIC experience. If you want a hotel, stay in a hotel. As for the price.... our climate in northern Montana means that amazing places like this can only be open for a few short summer months. They must earn their living from mid-may to mid-september. There is no way that any business could operate if they charged bargain rates for this short season.

My experience- My entire family loved it. We had our two sons (ages 3 and 1) with us. They had a blast. We booked an art workshop where we made drums and a par fleche, so fun! Keep sakes by which we will always remember our stay. We did the dinner (PLENTY OF FOOD) very good home-cooked family style dinner (buffalo meatloaf, chicken, polenta, salad, fresh bread, steamed veggies) yummm. We also signed up for the evening talk. After living just off the reservation for 7 years I didn't think I would learn much, but I was wrong. Sign up for the talk to have a better understanding and appreciation for the culture and history of the Blackfoot nation.

Loved it. Want to stay again. Anytime I have family visiting in the summer I am going to bring them here!

Thank you Darrell and Angelika for a great experience and for sharing your love of the Blackfoot culture with me and my family.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank V9702

Superior, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Glacier must-stay”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Great, authentic tipi camping experience. If you like camping and are in Glacier National Park area it is a must-stay experience. Reasonable rates, friendly service and good food (although the quantities could have been a little more substantial for hungry travelers).

While there may be some complaints on TripAdvisor regarding the "primitive nature" of the accommodations, one must remember - it is a TIPI CAMP.... hello? If you want luxury, stay at the pricey park lodges, duh!

The primitive nature of the camp and tipis is actually a nice change of pace from the overwhelming opulence of many other Glacier Park lodges and hotels, plus offers a unique perspective on the Native American history of Glacier Park that really cannot be found elsewhere.

All in all, we actually had a better quality of sleep here than we did during any of our other nights in hotels or park lodges. We look forward to staying again next time we come back to Glacier Park area in a few years.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Scott54880
Asheville, North Carolina
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“At least we did it”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Wanted to sleep in a Tipi.
The experience was nice, but the potholed gravelly incline getting up to the main area was a challenge on a motorcycle. Owners were very friendly and there is no luxury involved in the experience other than they do have an inside restroom shower area. You get a sleeping pad, sleeping bag with a freshly laundered liner, a pillow and a blanket. Wood is provided for the inside Tipi fire and the ground is dirt/dried grass, so be prepared. It is Rustic and authentic.
Not my best nights sleep, keeping the fire going to stay warm, but we did it. One off the bucket list.

Visited August 2013
5 Thank jimmcma
San Diego
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“I slept in a tipi!”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I agree with some of the reviews here which mention that staying in the tipi is overpriced for what you get. But, like me, they all knew ahead of time what it was going to cost and they chose to pay anyway. You didn't actually expect there to be bathrooms in the tipi's, did you? I paid $99 for two people and rented two sleeping bags and mats. This is more than a campground but I had never slept in a tipi before and I wanted to do it. For one night, it was a worthwhile experience.

We did not eat here but went in to East Glacier instead. The bathrooms were clean and so was the common room. There were only a few other tipi's occupied the night we were there so it was quiet and there was more than enough space for all of us to use the bathrooms at the same time.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank AndySD
NYC
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Lodgepole and Twin Medicine Lake”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My daughter and I just spent a most memorable night at the Lodgepole Tipi Village. And I want to say something about the negative comments for this precious little piece of heaven created in the spirit of cohabitant, freedom, sustainability in keeping with the traditional lifestyle of the Blackfeet Reservation. As we were driving towards Browning (the camp is located about 2 miles from the town center) from St Mary where we stayed 2 nights before, we notice how open and natural the landscape is, compare to areas in and around the Glacier National Park. The Lodgepole is very much in keeping with that open spirit.

Camping on this open plain in a well-kept tipi set up in the traditional way-facing the rising sun and against the sun rise-, with a fire-pit in the middle and dry wood readied in two neat piles, one inside and one outside, the canvas of your imagination is open to seeing how the Blackfeet people used to live and roam freely on this land, coexisting harmoniously with all its living creatures (the ground squirrels are a part of the package), and plants; I have seen the most wild flowers here than anywhere else inside the park.

The owners, Darrell and Angelika are gracious hosts and full time artists, dedicated Blackfeet Reservation members whom spent their lives preserving, keeping the vanishing tradition of their people, and making this precious experience available at a very affordable rates to anyone. If you purchase the dinner and breakfast, which I highly recommending doing, you will find the home-cook meals satisfying to your stomach and your souls, specially if you have spend a few days to weeks eating in and around the park.

Another advantage in staying here is the nearby Two Medicine Lake. The drive to the lake from here are physically and visually awe inspiring. The winding road through the majestic mountains and valleys is refreshingly empty, and so is the lake. Its setting is like a smaller version of Many Glacier minus the obnoxious presence of too many tour groups, and because there is no lodging except a nearby camping lot, it is a very peaceful and beautiful place for relaxing exploration. There is a nice general store (in historic 100 years old building) and bathroom facilities, boat and kayak rental and scenic cruise with guided hike. Unlike the larger Lake McDonald and St Mary, Two Medicines is blessed with long pebble beaches and numerous well kept and easy water falls hiking trails where you can access by taking the historic boat ride across. From the people I talked to, everyone said this is the best kept secret (now the secret is out, don't hate me) inside the Glacier National Park. And the stories about the Two Medicine are the most in-tuned with Blackfeet Nation to whom the entire park used to belong. The tranquility and accessibility of this lake makes it my favorite of the three visited on this trip.

If you go, plan an early arrival when there's less chance of strong wind and water is mirror like reflecting the surrounding mountain peaks, you can then rent a kayak and glide along its intimate water ways. Imagine that!

Lodgepole is an experience of a lifetime, it is the only place around the Glacier where you can embrace the sun without obstruction, experience art and nature the way Blackfeet tradition intended; I was very impressed with the aesthetics and details all around, this is a dream weaved together very thoughtfully by two dedicated artists.

A side note about Browning. It is depressing to be there, but that shouldn't be the reason to avoid. 70% unemployment rate is the cause of its appearance, and guess what can change that situation? Your visit. However little you spent or don't spent at all, having people visiting will help change the image of the place and increase employment opportunity for the local people. At a minimum, pay a visit to the Museum of Plains Indians, which houses many exquisite beaded art objects (clothing, tools, toys, instruments) of the Blackfeet people, and a gallery where you can meet another Blackfeet artist demonstrating art making, and have a real conversation to learn about the people and their lives today.

Visited July 2013