“Our Favorite Bed and Breakfast!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Butte
Copper King Mansion
Ranked #2 of 5 Butte B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Copper KIng Mansion inspired us to eventually buy our own bed and breakfast. WE stay here whenever we travel through Butte, Montana. Walking into the mansion, it is truly an artistic treasure, a show piece of how the other half lived so long ago. Inlaid wood floors, lovely tiles, incredible wood carved staircase, and other arts and crafts are most beautiful. Much expense was evident in the features of the mansion.

Our room was comfortable, with a huge closet to put our stuff. We shared a bathroom with several rooms, but it worked out fine. Enjoyed the huge,old fashioned bath tub, and the many spray shower was a hoot. The food was fantastic, and our hostess very friendly and hospitable.
I loved all the collections, as I love history. It is one of a kind treasure. I'm sorry that some don't appreciate it!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank beekielou

Reviewed 21 November 2012

A stopover in Butte, MT, turned into a wonderful experience when we stayed at the Copper King Mansion, a friendly B&B with exceptional hosts.

The antiques, the large, historic rooms, and the included tour of the property with our tour guide dressed in the times all added to the experience. The owners gave us terrific recommendation for dinner, with an included bottle of wine.

We were also given personal advice on tour routes and 'off-the-beaten-path' stops throughout the area (and, guess what? the whole area is off the beaten path, so to find and explore hideouts, and architectural features was beyond my expectations, and I've been through the area many, many times), places to pick up the best Montana made cinnamon rolls the size of a small cake.

Feel very privileged to highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for Senator Clark's own room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Glenn_Traveller
Reviewed 17 September 2012

This was my first time in Butte and I was glad we got to do some sightseeing the next day after arriving late. We arrived 9PM. The owners are friendly and went out of their way to find a restaurant for us that was open late. We slept in two double beds. The room (The Family Suite) itself was huge and had a fresco ceiling and lots of cool antiques. The bathroom was adequate though there wasn't a lot of space to put your things. The sleigh beds were comfortable for me although I am 6'2". A large bay window that was open provided a nice cool breeze. Sure, this mansion is not an ideal B&B, adapted for modern standards of comfort. It maintains its historic integrity. But I loved feeling a part of a bygone era and having breakfast in the large dining room. The breakfast was good with fresh cut strawberries, quality orange juice and excellent French Toast. There is a shower in the large bathroom that is an experience many won't try but I used it twice. It was installed early in the 20th Century and is like putting your body in a car wash! You get sprayed from the top and from tubing around the sides. You are enclosed by thick plastic clear curtains. I am glad I did it. But then again, I love history.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank LewisRuff
Reviewed 19 August 2012

The last time my husband and I stayed in Butte, ten years ago, we stayed at a hotel. We enjoy doing the bed and breakfast thing, so we were looking forward to staying here. We really have no complaints, the owners were friendly and nice and the accommodations were comfortable. Running a bed and breakfast/museum of this size must be a lot of work, so there are things that may improve the experience, but what is offered is still very neat. A place I would recommend only if you do not require a shower and do not mind having people who tour the place go through your room during the day.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jenn P
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Our recent road trip took us through Butte and a friend recommended the Copper King Mansion. We booked the Master Suite for $125 with high expectations! Well, this place was a total failure for what we hoped would be a romantic stop in a historic town. This is a very old, broken house stuffed with very old furniture and 10,000 historical items (with 9,500 pieces of junk). The main floor smelled of cigarette smoke (apparently by the managing family). The Master was horrible with really old fabrics, torn, worn and filled with holes! It was 90 degrees outside with no AC or windows that opened. Some windows were cracked. No shower in the corroded and stained tub. No working toilet paper hanger and poorly repaired wood damage in the floor of the bath. Many broken bath tiles. A Standard bed, maybe a Queen? At 10:00 PM the room was so hot that we left and went to another hotel. This is a hotel with little business that needs a hugh investment to fix it up. We left without asking for a refund because they needed the money. We had high hopes and left hot and discouraged. One positive: a hugh fan for miserable guests!

Room Tip: Forget finding a good room here!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sawmill1
Thecopper K, Owner at Copper King Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

We have had done quite a bit of painting in the past year. See the new pictures we posted. We also no longer allow smoking inside the building.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

I was looking forward to my stay at the mansion as I made my way north during a long road trip. I was intrigued by the rich history of the area, and by the story of the house's original owner, Mr. Clark.

Sadly, I was generally disappointed by my stay at the mansion. While the house claims to be a B&B, it is primarily a museum, and it feels that way when you stay overnight. I stayed in the Butler's Room, and while it was quaint and pretty, it did not offer the minimal amenities ANY B&B should have. For example, there was no proper place to set things down. Car keys, purse, wallet, bottle of water or whatever.... just a coffee-table-like thing at the foot of the bed. Hardly any room for my roll-on suitcase. No wi-fi available. I am not a tall man (I'm 5'9")... but I had to sleep diagonal on the bed because it was so short. I realize it's an old bed and people were shorter 100+ years ago, but if you're going to have people from the 21st century sleeping in the house, the amenities should -- to a degree -- support 21st century needs. I believe there is a balance to be found for preserving the original charm and antiquity of the old house, and providing for modern sensibilities. The Copper mansion fails to meet that need.

The hosts were friendly and laid back. I felt welcome when I arrived. Breakfast - served at the large dining room table downstairs -- consisted of fruit cup, French toast, sausages, coffee and juice. It was adequate, but nothing notable.

A young high-school aged girl provided a tour to a small group of us soon upon my arrival in the afternoon. She was charming and informed, and took her time answering our questions.

Contrary to other comments, below, I found the house to be clean. I didn't detect a smell of cigarette smoke in the house, but the mansion does have a distinct smell that I can only attribute to the house's age and the age of its contents. It's old! It's going to have a smell! I do not like that the house has become a warehouse for so many different types of things. The owners (to their credit) have purchased many items over the years, rescuing things from public buildings and other establishments in town... Churches that were destroyed, etc. But there is a lot of clutter in many of the rooms. I think these things detract from the beauty and majesty of the original mansion.

It was interesting to see the house and learn about its history, but I would have preferred to stay at a "proper" B&B or a hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a private bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank DesertDiva1971
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Wow, what a place. The building is beautiful and the proprietors really nice.
Because the house is open for tours all day, you can't check in before 4 and you must be out of your room by 9 am. That's a little tough, but manageable.

The rooms are so much fun and really unique.

Breakfast was a very good French toast and fresh fruit.

Room Tip: I think only 2 of the rooms have an en suite bathroom.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo