“Weren't open” 3 of 5 bubbles

Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: 1St Drive-in in the state of Montana. Authentic 40's diner with its original fountain, counter and cast iron grill. Matt's is known for its 100% ground round hamburgers, homemade fries and ice cream. It has been family owned since 1943, and prides itself on the quality of its food. Very nostalgic, listed on the National Historic Registry.
“Weren't open”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Tried to stop by for lunch but they are closed Sundays. I respect business that close for Sundays but I wish somewhere on your site you had hours of operations. I wasn't sure what to rate them since we weren't actually able to experience them so I said 3 since I had to fill it out to submit this review. We were really looking forward to the food after reading the other reviews!

• Visited July 2013

Phoenix, Arizona
“Best malts with homemade ice cream”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

Met friends passing through Butte the same time as we were, and found this great old fashinoned soda fountain/diner to meet up, as it is easy to reach from the interstate. We voted the malts and shakes with homemade ice cream as the standouts here, but the cheeseburgers with hand cut fries were a close second. This is the real dea! Eat here and skip the chains!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Mary S
“A Classic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

Stopped here for dinner one night on an epic road trip from Clearwater, FL to Kodiak, AK. It was about 6:00 pm on a Saturday - several other places in town that showed up on TripAdvisor were closed already, surprisingly. Let's just say I'm happy they were! We ended up at Matt's, got a couple of the last seats at the counter, and felt like we were immediately whisked into a 1930s Rockwell painting of a classic diner scene. Very attentive and friendly servers manning the bar and soda fountain! We ordered and had food in a couple minutes. The bacon cheeseburger, with all the fixings was top notch (a top ten lifetime burger for me), fries were crispy and fresh. Chatted with some friendly locals, who had ordered "the usual," and quickly noticed the prevalence of milkshake tins at everyone else's plate. I caved, ordered a chocolate shake, and was rewarded with the most decadently mouthwatering milkshake imaginable, served with the whole blender tin serving - enough to fill the tall glass twice! I can still taste it as I write this.

Bottom line: if you are driving along I-90 wondering where to eat in Butte, this should seriously be your first and only option - for the unbeatably genuine historic dining experience and for the delicious burgers, just do not leave without ordering a shake!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank NorseViking
“Funky, historic building and history.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

Traveling east, stopped on our way to Yellowstone. Recommended through Tripadvisor. Yummy cheeseburger and fries. Simple menu but worth the stop.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Buffy R
Edmonton, AB
“Nothing comes close to Matt's Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

We first visited Matt's two years ago, and I have been craving their burgers, fries and shakes since then. Matt's is good, plain, simple food -- not a ton of toppings like some of the burger chains provide. Their burgers are made with ... wait for it ... meat. Not fillers and seasonings. Just good ground beef. I don't usually eat fries unless they're spectacular fries, and the fries at Matt's are that. And oh ... the milkshakes <insert choir of angels singing here>. They are how milkshakes are meant to be. And bonus -- they make their own ice cream.

Service is quick, professional, and friendly. Very nice ladies who make you feel welcome.

We're from Alberta, so a trip to Butte is doable, but 600 miles is kind of far to go for a burger. Still, for Matt's, I would do it. We'll be back again. Matt's Place -- please never change.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank EdmontonCarol_8

Been to Matt's Place? Share your experiences!