G Bar M Ranch
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Clyde Park
See available hotels
Country Motor Inn(Livingston)
View Hotel
My Place Hotel-Bozeman, MT(Bozeman)
Murray Hotel(Livingston)
  • Restaurant
Rodeway Inn(Bozeman)
View Hotel
All reviewssecond homegreat cooktrail ridingexperienced ridersother guestsg barjanamaryhorsemanshipcattledismounthorsespasturefishingsaddlecowboyaccommodations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I had hoped to return to horse camping in Yellowstone this year, but the dates didn't work out so I chose to visit the G-M Ranch instead. What a terrific decision! Everything I love about my favorite back country areas in Yellowstone - wildlife, quiet, meadows full of wildflowers (even in August!), excellent horses, long rides, natural rhythms of the day - all present but with a soft bed, hot bath/shower and meals at a table!

Mike, Maria and Mary Leffingwell are gracious hosts who make a first-time stay at the ranch feel like visiting family. They often have guests from outside the US and I shared my week with Tony from the U.K. and Bel from Munich. Meals were full of fresh fruits and veggies, included grilled beef from their own cattle and other hearty fare all week. Can't say I had a favorite meal because they were all terrific! Loved the ringing of the bell to signal mealtime.

The riding is varied and the horses are "dead broke" (if you don't know horses, that's a VERY good thing), but responsive. I have the habit of mounting on the left and dismounting on the right to keep my stirrups in balance and "Dun Again" handled that like a pro - even the one time I had to dismount AND mount to retrieve my hat both on the "off side" (right) because there was a steep decline to our left. Most days we rode in the morning and afternoon, but on the day we moved cattle we were out all day with a break for lunch after we had gathered the herd.

Accommodations in the lodge were excellent. The cabins look lovely as well. Loved my claw foot tub with shower handle, though at least 2 of the other rooms have showers. No TV and an outdoor "wifi cafe" made it easy to unplug for the week. Entertainment is provided by puzzles galore, games, two books by Mike's grandmother telling the story of the family, lots of books and magazines (several with stories about the ranch).

I hope to return in June for a horsemanship clinic! You can view many of my photos here: https://picasaweb.google.com/108472180719700644626/GMRanchAugust2013?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIHAoaKEp-PaJQ&feat=directlink

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank LeadingWomen
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Our family has been coming to the G Bar M outside of Bozeman for 30 years. The ranch has been owned and operated by the same family since the early1900's and the Leffingwells are well respected ranchers, horse trainers, and members of the community.
There are no hot tubs or coctail hours here as found at some dude ranches. There is good food served family style to all guests and workers together, clean and comfortable accomodations, fantasitic views, and the finest horses around. The daily activities usually involve long horseback rides to check on fences, move cattle, or complete other tasks of ranching. The horses can accomodate riders of all skill levels and are bred and raised on the ranch. I suggest calling as emails are not always answered promplty.

Room Tip: Lodge house has bedrooms with private baths and there are two individual cabins on site.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family