Skyline Guest Ranch and Guide Service
Cooke City Alpine(Cooke City)
US$170
US$160
Travelocity
Soda Butte Lodge(Cooke City)
US$170
Agoda.com
US$174
TripAdvisor
US$172
US$125
Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge(Cooke City)
Chateau Rouge(Red Lodge)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewshorseback ridinglog homehot tubfly fishinghomemade cookiesyellowstone riverevery morninganother guesthour rideping pongbed breakfastpacked lunchhorse corralan amazing cookcats and dogsyummy breakfastwelcoming stay
Reviewed 20 September 2012

This was my second time booking a backcountry horse and flyfishing trip with Skyline Ranch. I have never stayed at the ranch so this review doesn't cover that aspect of their business.
My first trip was in Aug 2011. I had a day alone in the park and I met Luke and 2 of his horses at the trailhead early in the morning. We had an amazing ride up to Pebble Creek. Luke was a great guide and the horse I rode (Bo) was well trained and comfortable. We fished the afternoon away on Pebble Creek, enjoyed a nice bagged lunch and then had a scenic ride back down to the parking area. The trip met all of my expectations and more.
In Sept 2012, I returned to Yellowstone with 4 of my guys friends. I told them that we needed to book a trip with Skyline to ride & fish. The reservation process was simple and easy. A couple days before our schedule date I spoke with Luke about where he thought we should go. We wanted it to be a nice, scenic ride into an area that was fishing well. We choose to ride Specimen Ridge trail down into the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone R. Believe me...good choice!
The trip was everything my friends and I had hoped for. The beautiful backcountry of Yellowstone is amazing when experienced by horseback. We had 2 guys that had never been on a horse but this wasn't a problem. The Skyline horses are well trained, gentle & sturdy. Our guides Luke & Rob made sure that everything was running smoothly as we descended from the ridge into the canyon. Once at the bottom of the trail we were streamside and it was time to wet some lines.
The fishing was great! The access that you get by horseback ensures that the fish aren't getting hammered all season long with roadside fishermen. One of party was a novice fly fisherman and Luke made a point to guide him & show him techniques. he may have lost count of the Cutthroat trout he caught but I kind of doubt it! We had lunch alongside the river and fished some more.
The ride out was just as spectacular as the way into the canyon. My friends were all very happy with the level of professionalism and expertise shown by everyone at Skyline.
I can't wait to book my next trip with Skyline. If you want to do some fishing in a backcountry setting and want to experience the beauty of Yellowstone from horseback then you should book with Skyline. They are the best!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank msa0019
Reviewed 17 September 2012

The Jackson family, owners of Skyline Guest Ranch and Guide Service, were extremely accommodating in helping us book our backcountry trip and guiding us, two novice horse people, on a 6-mile+ adventure into the Montana wilderness.

Their horses and mules are well-cared for and the Jacksons went to special efforts to make sure the animals we rode were appropriate for our riding level. (My husband and I adored Cheyenne and Beau, our trusty and sure-footed friends). We were dropped in a beautiful, remote setting that was recommended by the owner, that more than EXCEEDED our expectations..

The Jacksons have a wonderful setup for the Cooke City area with the riding, fishing/hunting guides and lodging. If you've never been to the area, it's important to understand that Cooke City is pretty remote and accommodations are not terribly fancy but Skyline Lodge is very comfortable. Most people go there to enjoy the wilderness and aren't there to spend time on the internet, hot tub, etc. If you need a fitness center or swimming pool, don't go to quaint Cooke City- you'll be disappointed.

Although we didn't stay at the lodge, we did take a look at the rooms and they are very clean and portray the decor typical of a Montana log home. The rate is very reasonable and having stayed in other places in Cooke, we'd definitely consider the Skyline Guest Ranch rooms for our return visit.

We are using Skyline next year as their service was excellent and the prices were very reasonable for the amount of effort needed to guide two guests and their three-mule load into the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness. It was a trip of a lifetime.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skmwildernessgirl
Reviewed 1 September 2012

The location is great,very close to the NE entrance of Yellowstone. The cabin itself is very attractive. The bedroom was nice. Bathroom was very basic. The breakfasts were rather limited and small in portion. We were expecting a nice large breakfast like we've had with other B&Bs. Also, the internet was up and down while we were there. If staying in the area again we'd likely look into other options but we might stay there again.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
SkylineGuestRanch, Owner at Skyline Guest Ranch and Guide Service, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Though disappointed, I can respect this average rating, as we are just average folks working hard to offer excellent service.
Of course we really appreciate excellent ratings but I do sometimes worry that people might get the idea that we're the Ritz or Hilton when we're just a beautiful log cabin in the woods with horses, kids, dogs and dirt in close proximity.
Our goal is to make your stay as comfortable, enjoyable and satisfying as possible. Please allow us to bring out more breakfast or adjust the menu to meet your needs.
Satellite internet, though sometimes unreliable, is the only option in these mountains, there is no cell service but we do offer free unlimited calls from our cordless landline phone. We're here to help with everything from drying shoes to forgotten battery chargers. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

Best lodging and food in the area. It is very clean and friendly. Best food you can find. I loved staying there. It is a working ranch with horses to rent guides on staff for fishing and horse trips. What is not to love? Wildlife everywhere. We saw there was a moose about a hundred yards away in the creek. Deer and elk also in abundance.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JM82435
Reviewed 19 July 2012

The location and the cabin itself are stunning, and as such we had a very pleasant one-night stop over here. The rooms were basic but well kept with nice clean en suite bathroom. We weren’t there long enough to comment on other facilities, but it seems the ideal setting for a hot tub or grilling. The homemade breakfast was very nice and there was plenty of it, a great start to the day. We arrived in town later than planned and as such we decided to eat before everything closed down, so I called the B&B to ask if it’d be fine to arrive late (almost 23.00 by the time we found it). They assured me it was, and indeed there was someone to greet us when we arrived, but I got the impression they weren’t used to it and this isn’t really a place you can come and go as you please – more your early to bed early to rise ethos. I did wonder if we’d fallen out of favour due to our late arrival, but perhaps it was my guilty conscience and the owners are just quiet people. It’s a great ranch though, shame the horses weren’t shod yet (it is the mountains after all) as we had fancied that. I imagine it is very cosy in winter time too. We would stay again if in Cooke City… Ps. their dog is lovely!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple