“Fly Fishing Adventures of a lifetime.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cooke City
Skyline Guest Ranch and Guide Service
Ranked #1 of 1 Cooke City B&B and Inns
Lithia, Florida, United States
“Fly Fishing Adventures of a lifetime.”
Reviewed 3 October 2012

My wife and I have spent a week at Skyline with Victor and Liz for the last eight years. I go there to travel to remote areas by horseback and experience wonderful flyfishing adventures. We stay at the lodge each night comfortable ,yet rustic. The accomodations are great , but the hosts are what keep us coming back. Liz and Victor are wonderful people, who genuinely want to take care of your needs. I have been visiting the west for many years ,but once we found Skyline, we knew these were the people we would return to each year. I completely trust Victor to watch out for my wife while we are fishing and Vicki just has the most enjoyable times. Skyline has provided us with a wonderful experience that we both love. No other place fits us like Skyline.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Fred M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Springfield, Oregon
Reviewed 2 October 2012

My husband and I love to hike and camp in the area (Beartooth Range) and have used this B&B exclusively for a few years now. This is a Montana-style, cozy, homey, ranch-style B&B run by people who really care. It may not have amenities like TVs, VCRs, or whirlpool baths, but the rooms are spacious and clean and the hospitality outstanding. Liz works very diligently to make a country-style breakfast each morning, and the large, family-style dining room is equipped with an ample self-service beverage counter where we can prepare apple cider, cocoa, or another beverage before sitting down. As we begin to sip our coffee, Liz promptly greets us with a friendly smile and announces the basic menu for the day while taking our order for particulars, i.e., yogurt flavor, fruit, etc. I've never asked her for seconds but have observed another guest ask for seconds (biscuit and gravy) without any problem. I often request less food, as I get full fairly quickly and hate to waste food, especially at someone else's house! We like the upstairs rooms best, as they are quieter and roomier. The Absaroka room which is on the main floor between the front door and the front desk is somewhat noisier and smaller and perhaps best for someone who has too much luggage/gear to take upstairs and/or a need to wake up really early and leave expeditiously. We do enjoy seeing all the horses within 25' of where we park our car and look forward to using the guide service and riding the horses in the future. My only suggestion for improvement would be to make an easier-to-read sign on the wagon out by the entrance. We can see the word "rides" in big prominent letters, but the actual words "Skyline Guest Ranch" are smaller and less noticeable, prompting us on our first trip years ago to drive right past the sign and entrance! Thanks, Liz and Vic, for all that you do!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are quieter!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Wendy W
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Where to begin other than EXCELLENT on all fronts. Great down home friendly service in a big slice of heaven away from the hustle and bustle of life nestled in the trees. If you leave hungry, that is your own fault. The meals are amazing in the quality, one would think you are at the Ritz! Well done Liz and Vic. Seen you this winter again!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Merv O
Jefferson, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 26 September 2012

This B and B makes you feel comfortable from the minute you step inside to the smell of the wood burning stove. We were surprised and happy that our room had neither tv nor phone! The bed was comfortable and the softest sheets that I have slept on! Cell phone access is limited everywhere in and around Yellowstone, so they have a house phone that you can even take to your room to make free calls. Private bathroom was excellent. Breakfast second morning included handmade cinnamon rolls that were worth getting up for. We stayed two nights and never felt like we had to lock the door we were so at home.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kathy K
Chanhassen, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Have used Skyline Guide Service many times over the years for flyfishing in Yellowstone Country. This year Luke out did himself and took 4 of us on one of the best adventures ever. Not only is Luke a great guide but he is personable and accomodating. Highly recommend Skyline.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul N
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We used Skyline as our base for exploring North Yellowstone, and what a great choice. Great location, warm and friendly welcome. The rooms were spacious, clean and well appointed, and we had an interesting and different family breakfast every day.

Just outside Cooke City with quick access to the wonderful Lamar Valley. We took advantage of and really enjoyed the morning horse ride from the ranch, a great experience through the forest and on hillside trails.

Would recommend to all, and would also love to visit in winter !

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Cavans
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 20 September 2012

This was my second time booking a backcountry horse and flyfishing trip with Skyline Ranch. I have never stayed at the ranch so this review doesn't cover that aspect of their business.
My first trip was in Aug 2011. I had a day alone in the park and I met Luke and 2 of his horses at the trailhead early in the morning. We had an amazing ride up to Pebble Creek. Luke was a great guide and the horse I rode (Bo) was well trained and comfortable. We fished the afternoon away on Pebble Creek, enjoyed a nice bagged lunch and then had a scenic ride back down to the parking area. The trip met all of my expectations and more.
In Sept 2012, I returned to Yellowstone with 4 of my guys friends. I told them that we needed to book a trip with Skyline to ride & fish. The reservation process was simple and easy. A couple days before our schedule date I spoke with Luke about where he thought we should go. We wanted it to be a nice, scenic ride into an area that was fishing well. We choose to ride Specimen Ridge trail down into the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone R. Believe me...good choice!
The trip was everything my friends and I had hoped for. The beautiful backcountry of Yellowstone is amazing when experienced by horseback. We had 2 guys that had never been on a horse but this wasn't a problem. The Skyline horses are well trained, gentle & sturdy. Our guides Luke & Rob made sure that everything was running smoothly as we descended from the ridge into the canyon. Once at the bottom of the trail we were streamside and it was time to wet some lines.
The fishing was great! The access that you get by horseback ensures that the fish aren't getting hammered all season long with roadside fishermen. One of party was a novice fly fisherman and Luke made a point to guide him & show him techniques. he may have lost count of the Cutthroat trout he caught but I kind of doubt it! We had lunch alongside the river and fished some more.
The ride out was just as spectacular as the way into the canyon. My friends were all very happy with the level of professionalism and expertise shown by everyone at Skyline.
I can't wait to book my next trip with Skyline. If you want to do some fishing in a backcountry setting and want to experience the beauty of Yellowstone from horseback then you should book with Skyline. They are the best!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends