“Yes. Just yes.”

Bearclaw Bakery
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Cooke City
Price range: US$5 - US$9
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Closed for the season. Will reopen late November. Thank you for a great Summer. It was a pleasure to have been at your service.
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Bob's Bearclaw Bakery deserves the accolades most reviewers here have given it. I'm really sorry two people felt the need to give it one star, and I'm truly dumbfounded that they felt that's what it deserved. In my book, this was one of the best breakfasts I've ever eaten!

Yes, it's a small place. And to say it's eclectic is a bit of an understatement. At one point during our meal, the sheriff walked in (maybe he was a State Trooper?) and he and the owner walked behind the counter of what looked like an auto parts/snowmobile gear/winter rescue store (albeit, on a very small scale), and were looking at some papers. Meanwhile, over in the kitchen, we noted regular customers helping bus tables, dumping garbage in the garbage can, stacking plates by the sink where they were being hand washed, etc.

All that added to the charm -- to say nothing of the killer French toast! If you're in San Diego, you must have breakfast at the Brockton Villa overlooking the ocean. But if you're NOT in San Diego, stop at Bob's Bearclaw Bakery and get their French toast. Oh, my goodness!

In one sense, breakfast can be the most difficult meal for a chef. We each have our own preferences -- what does "over medium" mean to you, vs. someone else? -- and there's some deep emotional attachment to getting our day started with the right meal. In our case, three different definitions of the doneness of bacon were honored, three different kinds of eggs were prepared properly, and did I mention the French toast?

So, yes. Just yes. If you're spending the night in Cooke City, go to Bob's Bearclaw Bakery. Get there early, though; our stomachs did a backflip when the people in front of us nabbed the last two cinnamon rolls!

2  Thank cmhprh

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Tiny little place serves an excellent and economically priced breakfast. Bakery "to go" if you're in a hurry. Not much left in the bakery after 9:00 a.m. Very popular place with locals and visitors alike.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I wanted to get up and off to Yellowstone early in the morning. Was told that the Beartooth Cafe opened at 5am. I got there at 6am and met Terri (the owner). The smells from the fresh pastries was wonderful! It is a pretty compact operation (shares space with Bearclaw Bob's snowmobile equipment and service), and did not look like a cooked breakfast could be had, but boy was I wrong. The homemade sausage patty was huge and tasty. The French toast from fresh (raisin/cinnamon?) bread was wonderful. It was by far the best breakfast of my 2 week trip. I hope I am through Cooke City again so that I can eat there again.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Very small place and crowded by locals and tourists because it is good! Try the jalopeno biscuits and gravy! Good taste with a bite!!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I'll save you some time if you're reading reviews to decide if you want to go here or not. You're going.

If you want to know what to have, well, I'm fairly sure anything here will be outstanding. I knew the French toast would be great as soon as she pulled the fresh-baked loaf of bread from the baked case and sliced two enormous slices. The BLT Benedict is unreal. The baked goods - we sampled several of them over several days - were top notch. All this in just half of a small building shared with a snowmobile equipment shop.

Why are you still reading this? Go.