“Simple motel, but it works for me”

and 1 more site!
Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cooke City
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This was the second time I've stayed at this motel. It isn't fancy, but it's nice enough, clean enough and modern enough. For me, it is the perfect place to stay when I am visiting Yellowstone's Lamar Valley. Staying in this motel, I can view wildlife in the evening in Lamar Valley, stay overnight not far from Lamar Valley and then view wildlife again the next morning. Just like my previous trip, we were able to see grizzlies and wolves in Lamar Valley. On this trip, we saw grizzlies during the evening and grizzlies & wolves the next morning. If we hadn't been staying nearby in Cooke City, we wouldn't have seen the wolves. Cooke City is also a great gateway to the Beartooth highway, which is by far the most scenic entrance or exit to Yellowstone.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Recently came to Yellowstone to see the sites and animals. Our room was clean and comfortable. Was great to have wifi available as my cellular service was not available there in the park. Was able to grant us our request for a ground floor room.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Three of us were in the Yellowstone area fishing for a few days and we spent a night at this hotel. Our rooms were clean and comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was the usual fare, but filling and free. We checked in about 7pm, with a reservation, and the young lady on the front desk was very pleasant and friendly. The hotel is located in the heart of Cooke City.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed in Cook City on our way to Yellowstone. In general it is your typical small town missing friendly people who's businesses only thrive on tourism. The guest services on the late afternoon evening was not only rude but argumentative. When I call the front desk for the wifi password she hung up on me after I asked to repeat the password to her. No pets allowed but she had her own dog in the office area. No help with directions, etc. I would not stay again. Room was clean but that is the best thing. You could hear ever toilet flush or shower in the entire facility so stay on the third floor if possible. Housekeeping was knocking on doors at 600am to clean which was very rude.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank C J
Reviewed 16 September 2013

our room was fine but there was very few parking places close to the hotel. The night clerk on Sept. 2nd was very rude, didn't seem to know her job. Several customers had to tell her that it was Monday "Labor Day:, she argued with them that it was Sunday. The next night on the 3rd there was a different lady and she was fine. We have been staying at Super 8's in our different travels but it seems like our points are posted for some stays right away and others not for a long time!! Over all we like the hotels and have stayed at Wyndham hotels quite a lot.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
2  Thank Glenn H
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at this property for one night in late August on a whim. We had intended a different route for our trip, but at the last minute decided to change our itinerary and stay in Cooke City without a prior reservation so we could get up before dawn and enter Yellowstone for some wildlife spotting.
I was very tired, and so stayed in the car for check-in. My husband returned after a good long while and reported the front desk staff as being friendly, but had a rather odd request. For $116 we could sleep in the last available room in the hotel which had 2 queen beds, but must use only one of the beds. Apparently, if we utilized the second bed, we'd be charged an additional $10. OK, strange request that I, as a frequent traveler and current front desk employee at a hotel had never heard of, but whatever... we can share a bed just like every other night.
The hotel is clean, if furnished on the budget side. This is what I'd expect from a Super 8.
The real problem came in the morning as we were leaving the hotel. We got up and out the door before dawn and exited the back door. There is a set of about 5 cement steps to get down to the parking lot. That back entrance is not illuminated, not even a fixture that I could see. Just as I was commenting to my husband that they sure could use a light back there, I missed a step and down I went. Lucky for me, I landed on my carry-on-sized suitcase which broke my fall. If I was older or more frail, I could have easily done myself far more harm and I hate to think of this happening to someone again.
Being that we got up so early for a reason, I decided to push on and offer my feedback later rather than go into the office at that moment and register my complaint.
Within 24 hours, I'd emailed the hotel via the Super 8 corporate website. Shortly thereafter, I discovered an automated reply that the email address was not active, so I tried again via a direct email to the manager found on the Cooke City Super 8 website. It has now been over 2 weeks since I registered my concern, and asked for a reply so I would be assured that this matter was being addressed for future guests, and still no reply.
Given the lack of attention to communication channels provided for guests, on top of a safety hazard, I would not recommend a stay at this location.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Adventuritis
Robert S, Manager at Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

As the manager I did send a response to the guest I have a contractor adding a light for those stairs. I thank her for bring this to my attention.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

We stayed at this Super 8 because we wanted ride the ORV trails, Clean rooms and beds, there is no need for AC at night with the window open and the ceiling fan on, day time would be nice on the hot days, we had a 2nd floor room, if we had the 1st I do not no if i would sleep with the window open, Complementary breakfast is not the best, but it is free and will fill you up, The people at the desk were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
#6 of 6 in Cooke City
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#2 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park

Been to Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area? Share your experiences!