“I know why it's rated No 1”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cooke City
Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Cooke City
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night at the Elk Horn Lodge. It was clean, the beds were comfortable, and it had everything you would expect in a small town like Cooke City. The owners were very helpful in telling us about the park and restaurants. If I am ever in Cooke City again, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013
cookecitymt, Owner at Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Thanks for staying with us! We truly appreciate your business! Thanks for the kind words, Lisa and Jeff

Reviewed 28 September 2013

This was our third stay at the Elk Horn and we stayed for five nights in Cabin 2. Once again everything was exceptionally clean and well run. The cabin is very cosy and comfortable with plenty of room and you feel really at home here. The beds are really comfy and there is small kitchenette which is really useful.

Jeff and Lisa are lovely genuine people who make you feel very welcome and we enjoy staying here more and more with each visit. Cooke City is a unique and fun place to stay and we will always stay at the Elk Horn when we return.

Thanks again Jeff and Lisa - wish we could get back next year but our drive way beckons (at the moment haha!!)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

It's wonderful to have repeat customers! We know you could choose anywhere and we are so pleased that you return to stay with us year after year! What a compliment for customers to say they feel at home here! Thanks for continuing to stay with us. Who are you kidding?? Since posting this response you have already booked for next year! See you in September 2014! Thanks Jeff and Lisa

Reviewed 22 September 2013

This is a very clean and well run small motel that is owned and managed by a very friendly and accommodating couple. We stayed in Cabin 1 which is an efficiency cabin having a small well equipped immaculate kitchen. Bathroom is well maintained. Decor is western style. Beds are comfortable. We were there three days and very happy with daily cleaning of the rooms. Recommend highly to anyone in the northeast area of Yellowstone. Excellent value.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
cookecitymt, Owner at Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us in Cabin 1! Thanks for taking the time to give us a review and highly recommending our place. Since Jeff and I (owners) do all the cleaning, laundry, hospitality etc., ourselves, we really appreciate your kind words about our establishment and our cleanliness. Thanks again, Lisa and Jeff

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Lisa and Jeff, the owners and operators of Elk Horn Lodge, helped to make our stay a very enjoyable one. We asked them many questions and they were always very willing to help us and send us in the right direction for whatever we were hoping to see--and told us about places to go that we didn't know about. The cabin we stayed in was perfect and just what we wanted---very comfortable. We absolutely fell in love with Cooke City and hope to go back. We will definitely plan to stay in Elk Horn Lodge when we do. I would recommend it to anyone who asks.

Room Tip: We stayed in Cabin number 2 and loved it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LindainPensacola
cookecitymt, Owner at Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay in Cozy Cabin #2 at the Elk Horn Lodge! Some people even call it home! We love to travel. so when guest come here we like to help them enhance their stay while in Cooke City! We hope you guys get to return too! We love having our repeat customers! Thanks for writing a review for us! Lisa and Jeff

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I am a bit amazed that previous reviewers have awarded this inn an "excellent" rating. It may very well be the best in Cooke City, for all I know, but it most certainly is not an excellent hotel. It is a clean but somewhat dowdy and dated property that recalls some of the roadside "motels" of the 50s and the 60s. It consists of two one unit cabins and a two story structure containing 6 units for a total of 8 units. I stayed in one of the units on the upper floor of the two story structure. The bathroom was tiny and the wash basin was in a corner of the bedroom. There was no closet. There were two queen sized beds, an antiquated T.V., two old chairs, and a table. The word "lodge" suggests spacious grounds and a grand hotel in a rustic style. This inn has no grounds at all. It is located as close to streets as possible on two sides and it is built to the lot line line on the other two sides. From my room I looked out on a tiny parking apron for the guests and a city street. From the back of my room I looked out on the parking lot of the Alpine Motor Hotel. I could hear any activity in the parking lot from my room. This hotel is certainly okay as a place to stay for a night on the way in or out of Yellowstone, but don't kid yourself that it is anything special.

Room Tip: Insist on one of the two cabins. They appear to be roomier and you do not have to look down on a par...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EasyHiker
cookecitymt, Owner at Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thanks for taking time to give us a review! We are so sorry that you did not find our Lodge likeable. It is hard to compare Cooke City Lodging with the likes of those you found in Lake Tahoe, Costa Rica, the UK or Scotland! Every year we update our lodging and this year we furnished our guests with 2013 Flat Screen TV'S so I'm not sure what you are used to when you say our TV'S are antiquated? However thanks for mentioning that our rooms are clean as we pride ourselves on our cleanliness! Thanks, Lisa and Jeff

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed at the Elk Horn Lodge while fly fishing a short distance away in the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone. Upon checking in the owner gave us recommendations on where to eat in Cooke City and also a few off the beaten path fishing locations to explore while in the Park. We stayed in one of the cabins which was amazing! Jeff even went to the trouble of tracking down a bar owner early in the morning as we checked out to retrieve a jacket my dad had left the night before. Great service and accommodations! I will stay here every time when I fish the NE corner of the Park.

Room Tip: Cabins are well worth the extra $
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

It was great having you and your Dad as guests at the Elk Horn Lodge! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us while fishing the NE corner of the park! Jeff wished he could have fished with you! Thanks for taking time to give us a review! Lisa and Jeff

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I spent three nights at the Elkhorn and in retrospect, wish that I had reserved a room for a couple of more. The owners were friendly, accommodating, upbeat about their business, and just nice to be around. For example, when I arrived they had just walked in the door from a few days of vacation time, but still made me feel like they would visit for as long as I wanted.

My room was absolutely spotless; it was very nicely decorated, appropriate to the mountain setting. Plenty of room, a comfy chair to read in, microwave and refrig and very comfortable bed.

I really liked Cooke City; like the Elkhorn owners, the town is friendly, informal, and just makes you feel at home. There are plenty of places to eat and/or drink, and I thought the food was very good...plenty of variety.

And, the view...oh, my, the view...I would re-book at the Elkhorn in a heart beat!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We love it when guests feel right at home! That is the greatest compliment we can receive! They don't call Cooke City the Coolest Small Town In America for nothing! Glad you enjoyed all that our town has to offer! Thanks for staying with us and taking time to give us a review! Thanks again, Lisa and Jeff

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cooke City
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#1 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park
Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area

Been to Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge? Share your experiences!