“The Best Yellowstone Has to Offer”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cooke City
Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Cooke City
West Jordan, Utah
“The Best Yellowstone Has to Offer”
Reviewed 21 May 2010

As a photographer I have been spending a month a year in the Yellowstone area. I have stayed at most of the Hotels in West Yellowstone and Gardner never finding a place that combined good service with good value. Finally, my search is over.

The Elk Horn Lodge was by far the best hotel that I have stayed at. The rooms were spotless and comfortable. The beds were the most comfortable I have experienced. The hotel staff (a husband and wife) were extremely friendly and helpful. Every room had Wi-Fi and sattelite TV (with more channels than you will find in any other hotel). And all of this came at a savings of $30 dollars a night over hotels in West Yellowstone.

I am glad to say that I have found a hotel for all of my yearly stays in the Yellowstone area. Elk Horn, you will see me again and again. Thanks for your assistance and your friendliness. You and your hotel were excellent!

If going to Yellowstone I would strongly recommend to you the Elk Horn Lodge. You won't be dissipointed!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Bartman801

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Sheridan, Wyoming
Reviewed 22 April 2010

We stayed a week in this lodge and couldn't have asked for a better, more pleasant experience. When we needed something, they provided. We were there for a hunt and they were just as excited about the harvest as we were. You can't get more down to earth than Jeff and Lisa. WONDERFUL people and we are forever grateful for the experience and time spent in Beautiful Cooke City, MT....God Bless

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Just got off the phone after trying for two weeks to reach them--finally got an answer!
Not friendly and not interested in booking for only one night.
How disappointing after having wasted so much time!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank GlobalStPaul
cookecitymt, Owner at Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge, responded to this review, 22 March 2010
We actually live on site and are open year round and have not been away. We also have an answering machine and return all of our messages promptly.
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 26 January 2010

My daughter and I spent a week at Elkhorn Lodge in Cooke City and rented their private "cabin". The owners were had recently purchased this but were so wonderful and helpful I would stay there anytime. The cabin was very clean and had everything we needed plus, as far as we were concerned, is in the best location for visiting Yellowstone. We saw so much wildlife and ended up staying away from more southern part of the park because of congestion. We discovered the "bakery" while we were there and they whip up a great breakfast and the owner bakes fresh, delicious coffee cake daily. If you want a place away from the crowds to kick back, relax and enjoy real Montana I would recommend Cooke City and the Elkhorn Lodge. One note ~ they just had one cabin so it is booed far in advance but were hoping to have another available soon.

3 Thank Gringo1
Concord, NH
Reviewed 23 November 2009

Owners take pride in this lodge! Attention to detail! Check in was fast and friendly, all my questions were answered. The two bed cabin was clean, quiet and peacefull. Stayed three nights. Gas log burning stove, small kitchen area, bathroom was spotless, cable tv. The lodge felt like "home away from home". I have stayed three other places in Cooke City over the years; The Elk Horn Lodge would be my choice to date.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank retairforce
DFW, Texas
Reviewed 20 August 2009

Just prior to 6-day backpacking trip in Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness and also after coming out of backcountry, my wife and I enjoyed a couple of nights at Elk Horn Lodge (Rm #5 and then Rm#6). Both rooms were comfortable with great amenities for the area. We had the opportunity to visit with owners Jeff & Lisa - some of the friendliest and most gracious hosts you'll ever meet! We have already planned a future backpacking trip in the AB Wilderness ... and will defintely stay with the Ohlingers at Elk Horn Lodge. Be sure to ask them for local restaurant suggestions ... they made a great breakfast suggestion for folks headed west. Again, great place to stay - comfortable, clean, with excellent amenities (really appreciated the Wi-Fi given the lack of cell phone reception). And Cooke City is perfectly located to visit the AB Wilderness in addition to NE Yellowstone area.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DVernon
Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed 17 August 2009

My husband stayed here the 3rd night of our trip after doing the Roosevelt Lodge Chuckwagon Cookout. Be aware because of the buffalo blocking this road it may take you awhile to get there if coming from the Roosevelt lodge area. This was the case with us. The cookout ended about 8 pm but we came across buffalo jams across the road four times so it took us until 9:30 pm to get there.

When we did arrive we were the last to get there at 9:30 pm that night but the lady at the reception desk was waiting for us. The room was on the second level up the stairs and had a large bed, a small kitchen table, microwave and refrigerator. It was a good sized room and the bed was comfortable. We were told the town was under a boil water restriction so not to use the water from the faucets. There were 4 bottles of water there for us to use to drink with and brush our teeth, ect. I was fine with this but my husband didn't like at all and after showering the next day didn't feel very clean.

One other thing about this town is that there are pay phones to use. There is absolutely no cell phone service here. It is a very small old west town. The people are friendly and the scenery is beautiful which make up for it.

Overall we had a good stay but I might skip staying in Cooke City next time on my way around and make it a day visit instead.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#2 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park
Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area

Been to Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge? Share your experiences!