“Very comfortable stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cooke City
Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Cooke City
Seattle, WA
“Very comfortable stay”
Reviewed 20 October 2010

THis is a great base for Yellowstone and especially animal watching in the beautiful Lamar Valley. The room wasn't too big, but very warm, cozy and clean.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beasparents

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
London
Reviewed 3 October 2010

We spent 4 nights at the Elkhorn Lodge in Cooke City during a 2-week holiday in Grand Teton and Yellowstone, and could have spent the entire fortnight here. The Lamar Valley - best accessed from the northeast gate - has to be one of the most beautiful spots in the world.
Lisa and Jeff made us very welcome. Our room (no. 7) was on the upper floor of a handsome house with verandah and balcony, and a splendid sunset view. The room was large and spotlessly clean, decor a little dated perhaps but then, we were only there to sleep. It suited us perfectly.
We ate in the Beartooth Cafe one night (quite a queue, but that gave us a chance to sample another of the lovely beers) and the Beartooth Bistro the other nights (sweet staff and a great seafood casserole).
But really, the charms of Cooke City are a) that it doesn't have the brash commerce of Jackson or West Yellowstone and b) its proximity to the Lamar Valley. If you like getting up at 6am to go and watch wolves, followed by a series of stunning walks up Specimen Ridge, along Slough Creek or up Mt Washburn, then base yourselves here.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CathyRhino
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Elk Horn Lodge is a great place to stay if you want to enjoy the quieter parts of Yellowstone National Park. Cooke city is only few miles from the northeastern entrance of the park and allows you to reach the Lamar valley and its wildlife in no time. The Lodge is really well maintained, rooms were clean, spacious and had a fridge/microwave/coffee maker etc... There's a good wifi connection - satellite TV. The owners are very nice and knowledgeable about the area!
Will definitely be back next time I visit this part of the country!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Genetics
Tennessee
Reviewed 13 September 2010

I am reviewing the cabin. My mom and I stayed here for one night. It is a nice location if you are coming out of Lamar Valley and intend on going back into YNP. The cabin is as advertized on the internet. It is quite cozy with plenty of room. It has good heating and insulation. I am not sure if it has air conditioning but doubt if it is needed much in this part of the country. The kitchenette has room for one person but everything worked and is adequate. The bathroom is really more for a 5 foot tall person but the shower was hot and water pressure was good. I could not get the satellite to work but dumb as I can be, I did not see the big book on the dresser listing several operational items in it. My mom hated the beds because they were squeaky and soft but I did not mind them and found a good night’s sleep. I did however dislike the couch which sank way down when sitting in it. At one point, people were sitting outside our window at the small table which was annoying but did not last long. The town is quite quaint. No doubt everyone knows everyone else. It is sufficient for tourists. It has a general store, two gas stations – gas it $3.30 a gallon while it is $3 in Yellowstone, a post office but no bank and no police. YNP rangers have to take care of all calls. There is a Motel 8 and a couple of other lodging but I was quite happy where I was at.

It has a general store and a large trading post. It has bistro and a café and one or two bars with one I think offering food. I believe one was open for breakfast when we left at 7:30 am but I did not confirm as we wanted to get on the road to see wildlife early in the morning…and we did.

Lisa and Jeff are really nice personable people. Check their place out! I don’t think you will find better in town. I took several pictures if anyone would like to see more. They are quite large in size.

• Stayed September 2010
3 Thank HazelEyesFromTN
Newport News, VA
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights while visiting Yellowstone. This location is right outside the Northeast entrance to park. This was perfect for visiting Lamar Valley and other Yellowstone destinations. Great hotel with lots of charm. The room was clean and comfortable. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
New Castle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Lisa and Jeff made a memorable stay for us. They even went out of their way and drove, hopefully to find us, when I left my camera behind. No chain motel would of even considered the thought. But luckily they did find us and saved our vacation!! We highly recommend Lisa and Jeff Ohlingers's Elk Horn Lodge to anyone looking for that 'down to earth hospitality' !

Cindy & Tom Wirl

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank harleymama02
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Loved the Elk Horn Lodge. Ask for an upstairs room, the view is breathtaking.
Clean room, comfortable bed, great shower. Good value for money

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#2 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park
Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area

Been to Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge? Share your experiences!