Cooke City High Country Motel and Cabins
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Cooke City Alpine(Cooke City)
US$159
US$176
TripAdvisor
US$128
US$125
Travelocity
Chateau Rouge(Red Lodge)(Great Value!)
US$92
The Red Lodge Inn(Red Lodge)(Great Value!)
US$119
Travelocity
Soda Butte Lodge(Cooke City)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewshot tubthe ownerlamar valleyseparate bedroomthe toilet seatsmall townspent one night herewhite fluffy towelsfudgelast minute reservationsmall storepots pansgreat little placeyellowstone parkcharming townbeds were comfortablenice room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 May 2013

First of all Cooke city is located in a spectacular setting, and is the perfect place to explore the Lamar valley and Northeast of Yellowstone.

We stayed at the High Country one night in late May (low season).
Benji (owner or staff?) was a really nice guy, very laidback and easy going. We got upgraded to even better rooms, very large, one of them with a kitchen and a great fireplace !
In the morning we came back at checkout time from early-morning wildlife watching , but he said it was no problem if we checked out later so we could first have breakfast in Silver Gate.

The rooms were not brand-new, but were nice, very large and the beds are very clean. It was a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: The room that is closest to the street (7 or 8?) is very nice with a kitchen and a fireplace. We had a great stay in that room: in low season Beartooth pass is closed, so there is not a lot of traffic on the main road. But maybe if the pass is open it is possible that there is more traffic? Just a detail to consider.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We travel to Cooke City a few weekends in the winter/spring to do some skiing, and this is the only place we stay. Lounging in the outside hot tub, looking up at Republic Peak, Town Hill, and the Fin after a long ski tour is my little slice of heaven. We have stayed in a refinished room and one of the cabins, and they were both well maintained and clean. To all the whiners on here: this isn't the Super 8 off the highway-there's no maid cart with fresh towels to come clean your room every day-but Benji, the solo employee who maintains this place day in and day out on his own, is there to take care of anything you need. This is the motel experience I wish was in every small town in Montana. Rumor has it they won't be open next winter, and we are already worried about where to stay in Cooke on our ski trips! Thanks for the great spot!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Moose M, Owner at Cooke City High Country Motel and Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Hey, We have no intention of closing next winter, so no worries. Benji does rock and we are sorry he won't be there anymore, but has assured us he will be popping in from time to time to help out. My husband and I will be taking the helm. I am glad that you like the Motel because we love it and we will see you next winter, Paige, owner

Reviewed 13 September 2012

I've been travelling all over Montana since coming into retirement and nothing beats hitting the open road with very little set plans. This mentality settled me right into Cooke City for the first time years ago during one of my short trips to see the Beartooths. I decided to try out the High Country, I think I'm just predisposed to like small rustic cabins over the alternative big box hotels. Anyway, my instincts did not disappoint. The rooms were clean and comfortable, while the staff was present at a moments notice and very knowledgeable of the immediate area. This is what has kept me coming back to the High Country every time I venture back through Cooke City.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I traveled through yellowstone this past weekend and had the pleasure of staying here. I did a little poking around in the city before settling on the high country. What sold me was how helpful and courteous the staff was. They reassured me that if i needed anything they would provide it to me. They also suggested some local spots for good food and drinks. I stayed in one of the cabins, and it was very clean and orderly, not to mention the beautiful views of the surrounding mountains that it provided. Overall, i know that if I come back to Cooke City, I will be staying with the high country.

Room Tip: If going solo, or with a partner the cabins are awesome!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank GrandHaven04
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I have stayed in Cook City every year for over 20 years, and stayed at the High Country this year because we had to book late and our usual motel was booked. our stay was from 9-6 2012 through 9-8-2012, we would have stayed 2 more nights but were lucky enough to get a room at another motel for our last 2 nights.
We needed a double and they told us they were giving us a suite which consisted of living room, kitchen, bedroom and a couch that pulled out into a queen sized bed.
When we checked in they were only able to provide 1 key to the room, we just made do. On going in the room the first thing we noticed was how stained and dirty the carpet was and
there was only 1 chair in the living room and it was broken.
During our entire stay, the room was never cleaned, trash never taken out nor provided any clean towels or wash clothes.
the mattress on the pull out bed was so old and worn that you had to sleep on steel springs, I ended up just sleeping on the sofa, as it was.
on the day we checked out I asked why the room was never touched I was told " you could have asked ". This would have been hard to do since the office hours were from 8am to 8pm and we left and returned to our room when the office was closed. I advised them that some things were expected when you stayed at a motel.

Room Tip: If you want a clean room, and good service you need to stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends