“A Warm Welcome”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cooke City
Cooke City High Country Motel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Cooke City
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My wife and I recently arrived in Cooke City on a cold and rainy night only to find the entire town without power.Directed to the High Country by a local resident Paige welcomed us warmly,adjusted the daily rate given the fact that utilities were limited and provided us with a clean and comfortable room. On waking in the morning with power restored Paige and Brandon both inquired as to our well being and were most helpful in providing direction and advice regarding further travel into Yellowstone Park. The High Country represents Cooke City and the surrounding area in an exemplary manner.We didn't miss the internet,plastic cups(we liked the mason jars), free coffee, continental breakfast or countless TV channels. We did like the warm family feeling on a particularly inclimate day and left having made new friends.

1  Thank Fred S

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Paige and Brandon and the staff of the High Country Motel have been most accomodating. We love the view of Mount Republic. We really appreciate the dog friendly atmosphere. Our cabin is warm and cozy. The bed really comfortable. We have been here for three weeks. Love the authentic atmosphere of the motel and the town itself. We ain't in Kansas anymore. We found ourselves very content in this rugged and rustic spot in the mountains. Thanks to everyone here for their efforts on our behalf. Bill Anderson. Wichita, Kansas

2  Thank Bill A
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed in one of the cabins. We are used to simple rooms however we do expect SOME service for $120.00. There were no cups in the room. Later we found out from the owner that the mason jars on the shelf were the cups. There was a coffee pot but no coffee. The owner said to bring your own. Bring your coffee, filters, cream and sugar. One little bar of soap. There are other places to stay in this town. In fact when we told the owner our disappointment she suggested Elk Lodge. Since i did stay at Elk Lodge one night, I totally agree.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Parkhopper59
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Little cabins in a small town. Perfect experience that we were looking for! Didn't find it here. Cabin was run down. Bathtub was stained, spout constantly dripping. In a way it resembled the pics, if the pics were taken 40 years ago and Photoshopped. What disappointed us most was lack of coffee in the morning. I notice the description promises coffee makers. Yes, there was a full sized coffee maker in our room, but no coffee or filters. I'm sure we wouldn't have found coffee filters anywhere in town. I approached the owner about this and she said she didn't intend to supply coffee as she couldn't afford anything but the cheapest packages. She also went on to say that out of 1,000 visitors only 10 had complained and that if this wasn't the experience we were looking for we could go to another place in town. In fact, she recommended the place across the street! Well, we did stay there and they had coffee! And, cups! And it was very nice. I paid quite a bit for this room and really expected to be treated nicely. Out of a weeks vacation in Yellowstone, this was the only bad experience I had with accommodations and people. Everywhere else, and everyone else was so nice. So smack my butt and call me outta this place!

Stayed: September 2013
Moose M, Owner at Cooke City High Country Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Hi,
I would apologize for the lack of coffee, but I already did when you approached me at the coffee shop where I was getting coffee as well. It is easy for people to complain and tell us what we should and shouldn’t provide at the Motel, but they never take into account the logistics of such things and that it isn’t as easy at it may seem. I have looked into carrying coffee at the Motel, but it is very expensive and the only ones that are affordable are very cheap and I have to say that I do not want to serve bad coffee. Next year we will have complimentary coffee in the office, but still none in the rooms. We also do not like the waste involved in the one pot packages. The coffee shop next door is darling and thus far, most of our customers have enjoyed there visit and getting out and about the town to get a fine cup of coffee next door. You started your complaint stating that we did not have drinking cups as well, which we do, but since you didn’t see them, you blamed me for that as well. After apologizing for the lack of coffee and realizing that you were not going to be satisfied, I did suggest that you stay at one of the other Motels next time that I do no for a fact carries coffee as that seemed most important to you. The coffee makers are filter-less, so even though you could have easily found coffee filters in town, you would not have needed them. We have given our own coffee to customers when they have asked and I told you that as well, but you were upset that you had not thought about it the night before. As far as the pictures of the rooms, they were taken last year and were not photo-shopped. We have done a LOT of work on the motel and we are stoked to have all of our rooms, drippy faucets and all (and consequently that particular faucet is being replaced). The cabins are not run-down at all and have been impressively taken care of by the previous owners who also took pride in this place. The staining is from hard water that we have very little control over and the new faucet should remedy to a point. As I left you, I ran into another customer that spilled over themselves saying how much they loved it and how great we were, so I take all feedback, even the good stuff, with a grain of salt. Our motel is not perfect, but it is a work in progress, comfortable, and clean and the location is amazing.
I also noticed that today another person in your group posted a review based on the same experience. I am sorry that you didn't like your stay, but posting two reviews is driving the point a little too hard. SInce we are new to the motel game, I try to take our bad reviews constructively, because we do honestly want people to have a good experience with us. We intend to continue with our improvements, however two reviews from the same group is one too many.
, Paige (owner)

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Stayed here two nights while touring and fishing the Lamar Valley. Hosts Brandon and Paige are friendly and welcoming. Cabins are clean and nice. Cooke City is a super cool little town. Loved my stay here and would definitely return.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank mglambo
Reviewed 8 September 2013

It is all about your expectations. When you go to your cabin after registration you are surrounded by all kinds of things that formerly had wheels. When you get there, you’ll find the cabins clean and spacious, with a little porch to sit out of you are so inclined.

Don’t expect any luxuries. You will not find them. If you need a quiet clean room and don’t mind the surroundings, you will..

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Moose M, Owner at Cooke City High Country Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Hi,
I am sorry that you did not have a good stay at the High Country. We really do take a lot of pride in our place. I noticed that you stated that there were a lot of things that used to be on wheels on the property. If you are speaking on the airstream that my family and I have had to reside in, there are actually wheels still on it and it is out of here as soon as our living quarters are done. The campers are at the back of the property on the ally, so it should have been barely visible from your cabin.
As far as amenities go, we offer wifi, hot tub, microwaves and fridges in the cabins (which you stayed in), and complimentary toiletries as well. We do have a limited selection of channels on the television as we have instead chosen to invest in our outside space like putting a hot tub in, steps down to the creek behind the motel, and a teepee with fire ring and a horse shoe pit as well. The rooms do not have phones and there is no cell phone service, but we do offer a public phone in the two story. Most people come to the mountains to "un-plug" anyways, but I can see that being a frustration.
We can't do everything overnight, but we certainly would like to and plan to continually upgrade the Motel as we can.
Our place has spectacular views all around and I am sorry that you focused on the campers. That part is our of our control.
Paige

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Spent one night here before waking and traveling to Yellowstone. Room was basic but CLEAN. Cleanliness is a huge factor for me and my family and you never know what to expect when stopping at a locally owned place. My family and I slept well and if I ever travel this way again, I would not hesitate to rebook. Also, be prepared to "unplug." Nice owners and staff too!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family