“Had a great time”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cooke City
Cooke City High Country Motel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Cooke City
“Had a great time”
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Was down there for snowmobiling the motel was great they were very nice clean and well equipped. If i had anything to complain about it was the tv wish i had a HDMI hook up to watch my gopro videos when i was bak thank u for the great time. We stayed in the one cabin and we had the apartment very good

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cody S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Brandon and Page are awesome people always willing to help out they really make you feel at home. High country is near the end of town so the sled noise is not to bad. Their hot tub is always well maintained. Great people and great rooms at a killer value. High country will always be my first choice when staying in cooke city!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Natefloen
Red Lodge
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My husband, two of our great friends and I stayed at the High Country this last weekend and it was amazing! The owners set us up with two rooms that adjoin each other and one had a kitchen. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the kitchen was fully appointed with everything we needed to make our coffee and breakfasts (that we brought with us) before we started our adventures for the day. Cooke City is the real deal- a total rustic Montana experience, especially in the winter. At one point it was snowing and blowing hard enough that the roads (the highway from Gardiner and the snow mobile path on the unplowed part from Chief Joseph) were both shut down for a few hours. Nobody batted an eye. I think it takes a special kind of person to live there year round. Everyone we talked to was super nice and there is a great sense of community. It is unlike any other place I have ever been- I love it!

As a self-proclaimed city girl turned Montana resident 6 years ago, my advice for traveling to Cooke or most places near a national park in the west is this: adjust your expectations accordingly and you will have an incredible time! In my opinion, a hotel room in such a great location is a launch point for fun... you get to stay someplace close to all the snow mobiling and skiing action that the surrounding area has to offer. The owners of the High Country are extremely nice and accomodating, and even brought me a hairdryer (my one really high maintenance necessity, I will admit!). They have great plans for renovations, but even as is, our room was just great. About Cooke: don't expect a grocery store or cell service. There is one (maybe more?) bar that serves food and I was told there are limited supplies at the gas stations. There is wi-fi at the hotel but we were unplugged for the weekend and didn't use it. What to expect: a clean room with a hot shower and a cozy bed (we also had a tv with a ton of channels, Direct TV, maybe?) There was a coffee pot in the room and we brought our own coffee since we are picky, so that worked out great! Access to the park and wilderness cannot be beat. I am still reeling from how much fun we had and the views we got to see! The owners are great people, buy them a drink and have a chat if you get the chance! We will be back for sure, we are already planning dates. Definitely staying at the High Country!

Room Tip: We stayed in the duplex behind the two-story building where you check in. We were told these are the...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank PickyJen
Grace, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed 2 nights in Cooke City over Labor Day Weekend. This was our 2nd visit to High Country Inn and the 1st one was good. The 2nd not so much. They put us in a duplex that had a bad smell. I used the extra blanket for a pillow because the ones on the bed were very very flat. When they cleaned the room the 1st morning and seen the blanket folded up for a pillow you would of thought they might had brought us more pillows. We motorcycle rode both days a long way and wanted to sit in the hot tub and relax, we did the first night but were told that it closed at 9 p.m.! We found the lady to be rude and insulting about the whole situation. We were on vacation we wanted to hang out and the hot tub was the only place since they have porches but provide no chairs. BUT she informed us it was quiet time, Were adults it's only 9 p.m. and WE ARE ON VACATION! I don't think they like bikers. At 8 a.m. on Saturday morning there was a guy hammering on their new office. Did not want to hear that!!! Will NOT be staying there again.

Room Tip: If your a biker do not stay here. I think it may be a commune type place.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Moose M, Owner at Cooke City High Country Motel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Hi,
My wife and I own the Motel. I apologize if we seemed rude. I do remember your group actually and it was not 9 o'clock, it was 10, which consequently are our quiet hours as some people are sleeping by then. You all were being very loud and I was trying to be considerate to the other guests. I told you that it was fine that you hang out in the hot tub, but to please keep it down as you all were yelling (having fun, sometimes it sounds the same).
We have NOTHING against bikers. We love motorcycles. My wife and I both have motorcycles and have had a lot of great people on motorcycles come through town that have enjoyed their stay, I am sorry you were not one of them.
If you wanted more pillows, all you had to do was ask. We give people pillows all of the time (kind of a hobby of ours). Everyone has different sleep needs.
There was a bench on your front porch, so yes, we do provide seating outside. We appreciate sitting outside, so we assume everyone else does.
The smell in the room? I am not sure, we haven't gotten any complaints to that nature.
As far as the guy hammering outside, we have a very short building season here (4 months), so we have to make hay while the sun shines. That guy was most likely me. I started work at 8 am as most people are actually out of their rooms and gone by then.
, Brandon (owner)
Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 29 October 2013

arriving in Yellowstone on Aug. 18th to stay for 2 weeks at the Lake Lodge cabins we arrived to a fire only a few miles away, after 3 days of being on pre-evacuation orders and smoke that at times was so bad we couldn't see the lake only a few 100 yards from the lodge front porch we decided to try and find alternate lodging, if you've ever been to Yellowstone in the summer you know this is almost impossible without a reservation, we called Brandon and he took over, got us the 2 rooms we needed for the remainder of of 11 days, we moved up the next day and he and his wife Paige were so accomadating, even moved one of our party to a cabin when it was available, They are in the middle of construction but all the workers were friendly and respectful that we were there as guests, there are lots of dogs around, which is fine with me, Hi to Raven :) we had a great time and were able to continue on with our vacation as usual, being in the NE area were were able to see wolves and bears everyday after. My parents and i are so grateful to Brandon and Paige for helping us on such short notice. I have read other reviews of people complaining about the rooms and what they come with, if they want the Four Seasons they should look somewhere else other than Cooke City, this is not a luxury resort town, most people know they are coming to a small town and motels like The High Country are common, when i go to Yellowstone i am looking to spend time in the park watching the wildlife and experiencing the outdoors not staying in my room, so as long as it's clean, warm and the bed is comfy i'm good.
If you are looking for a great place to stay just 4 miles from the park entrance that has great hosts, i would definately recommend it, Brandon and Paige are also adding onto their office space to include a store, can't wait to see that, they are always doing things to improve the place, Good luck to you guys
see you next spring !! Bill, Jessie and Karen Johnson

Room Tip: if you can get one of the cabins, they are great
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Karen R
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We wandered out of yellowstone on a cold and rainy day and found ourselves in Cooke city. We were sad we were losing an entire day at yellowstone due to the weather but once we found ourselves in Cooke City it didn't seem to matter! Paige was amazing and her cabins are beautiful.
If you are looking for a luxurious hotel for $200/night with all the accommodations this is NOT the place and as a matter of fact neither is Cooke City. I've read the reviews and I want to say to the complainers, "YOU ARE ON VACATION IN YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK!!! DID YOU REALLY EXPECT YOUR ROOM TO HAVE A BAR, PLUSH PILLOWS AND TOWELS??? COME ON PEOPLE!!!"

If you are looking for real people who work hard everyday to feed their family and pay their taxes then you have come to the right place. Paige and her husband are kind giving people with beautiful souls and they offer some very nice cabins for a reasonable rate.

We have a service dog due to a seizure condition and they guy up the street wouldn't let us stay with him as he has a NO DOG policy. If you want to write terrible reviews they should be written about what a jerk the guy up the street is not because Paige didn't have fresh coffee for you in the morning! Geez people..... This is a privately owned cabin situation NOT THE HILTON! I'm glad the jerk up the street wouldn't let our service dog stay at his place because it enabled us to meet Paige and her husband!!! thank you thank you!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Quijibow
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My wife and I recently arrived in Cooke City on a cold and rainy night only to find the entire town without power.Directed to the High Country by a local resident Paige welcomed us warmly,adjusted the daily rate given the fact that utilities were limited and provided us with a clean and comfortable room. On waking in the morning with power restored Paige and Brandon both inquired as to our well being and were most helpful in providing direction and advice regarding further travel into Yellowstone Park. The High Country represents Cooke City and the surrounding area in an exemplary manner.We didn't miss the internet,plastic cups(we liked the mason jars), free coffee, continental breakfast or countless TV channels. We did like the warm family feeling on a particularly inclimate day and left having made new friends.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#2 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park
Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area

Been to Cooke City High Country Motel? Share your experiences!