“Nothing compares...”

Triple Creek Ranch
NJ
“Nothing compares...”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

When my sweetie's 60th birthday came around, I wanted something really special. We are fortunate enough to get to travel around the world for work/pleasure, so finding something really nice and unique required some research. Based on recommendations from the internet and a friend/travel agent, I booked Triple Creek Ranch.
Words can't adequately express my satisfaction with my decision. This place is amazing. Located at the base of Trapper Peak the scenary is spectacular. The lodge is stunning! Food is exceptional. Cabins are beautifully appointed with even the smaller ones having small dining areas, sitting areas w/ fireplaces, double showers, jacuzzis... you couldn't ask for more. Highlights... the homemade cookies in the room each day.
Activities for everyone regardless of your general activtiy level. Horseback riding, cattle herding, bird watching, fly fishing, river rafting (w/ Boomer and River), or just relax with puzzle in the lodge. The owners' extensive personal art collection is rotated daily into the lodge for guests to enjoy.
The staff at Triple Creek is without equal. From the front desk to the wranglers, everyone went above the call of duty to ensure our stay was perfect. Suggest you let Catharine help you plan your adventures.
Hope this was helpful if you are considering Triple Creek. Would love to answer questions if I can.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DivingDonna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 October 2009

My husband and I recently returned from the most perfect, relaxing get-away imaginable at Triple Creek Ranch in Darby, Montana. The trip was a surprise for my husband's 40th birthday. Typically we take island vacations and I was eager for us to try something completely different and was searching the internet when I stumbled on T.C.R. Every single review I read gave glowing accounts of wonderful trips. I decided to throw caution to the wind, step outside the box and head for the hills...or HUGE mountains (I'm from CT...we really only have hills here), and I'm so thrilled that I did. During our stay - 4 nights and 5 days - we enjoyed lovely, cool, Fall weather (we were there from 9/29 - 10/3/09) that made it very attractive to spend lots of time outdoors during the day and cuddle up infront of the fireplace in our cabin or spend lots of time in the hot tub on our back deck at night (reserve one of the cabins w/a hot tub...it's a must!!! SO RELAXING after a day of hiking or horseback riding!!). The meals were outstanding - absolutely delicious!! My husband and I ate until we about burst every night!! The presentation of the food was lovely with meticulous attention paid to every detail of every course. We did not have a meal we didn't like, but if we did we knew we could just send it back and ask for something else as all food is included and the staff cannot do enough to please you. I never, EVER, had an empty wine glass (and I love my wine)...as soon as it would get low one of the dining room servers would sense it somehow and it would fill right back up again...and the house reds were all VERY nice. I particulary liked their house Cabernet selection; from Oregon...the name escapes me, and the Shiraz. My husband likes the fruity drinks and had lots of fun with the bartenders (especially Kendra) coming up with delicious drinks with fresh squeezed OJ and Lime Juice...you just can't go wrong w/fresh squeezed. We went on a one hour trail ride on one afternoon and a two hour lunch ride the next day - both times our Trail Guide was Jared - outstanding, helpful, kind, interesting person!! I'm new to horse riding and needed a lot of help adjusting my stirrups and he kept working with me until they felt just right, and was more than willing to answer our numerous questions about the area (this being our first time in MT, we had A LOT of questions) and about horses and all sorts of things - really great guy! The horses were very gentle and we were in love with the beautiful scenery as we ambled through the forest trails. Every single person we met from the staff (special accolades must be paid to: Michael and Tatum for outstanding dinner service, Leslie for her immensely helpful and comprehensive Ranch orientation/tour, Katherine for always keeping us on track and making sure we were enjoying every moment, can't BELIEVE I FORGOT YOUR NAME - SORRY!! but the wonderful breakfast server who just began working at TCR on 9/30, she was such a joy to see every morning, so kind and attentive...you're going to do great at TCR, you're just exactly the right fit for the Ranch!!) to the guests had a great, positive, up-beat personality...there were no "Debbie-Downers" or "Negaholics" to be found...Heaven. Listen, if you're thinking about trying a ranch vacation - this is the place for you! If you're looking for peace and beauty - this is the place for you! I promise you will not be dissappointed - Give Triple Creek a try and when you show up, tell them Melissa and Kurt say HI!!! We'll see you again someday...hopefully someday soon :)

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DiscoDog
United States
Reviewed 26 August 2009

Location: About a 1.5 hour drive from Missoula Intl Airport, this place is hidden away. But the drive is easy and quick, breezing along the main Hwy with only a couple turns.

Food: The food is very very good. Dinner is definitely the strongest performance of the day - each day you are offered choices from a 4 course menu. All of the food is "New American" influenced. Breakfast is solid, but the french toast and pancakes weren't good. Lunches, are mostly sandwiches, especially since you'll find yourself off-ranch doing an activity during these times. Overall, the food is solid, but after 4-5 days, you'll be craving something different.

Drink: All liquor and drinks are inclusive, and they have all the top shelf liquors. You can even request them to stock your cabin with drinks and liquors of your choice. There are 5-8 wine choices that are included in your stay - these bottles are ok - you could find them at retail for about $7-10/bottle. But they do have an extensive wine cellar which you can choose to pay extra for. The bar in the Lodge is spacious and cozy - a place to play games and relax. If there's no bartender there, you're allowed to make yourself a drink.

Activities: All the activities are well planned and fun. The Cattle Drive is highly recommended and a once in a lifetime experience. The on ranch Horseback riding is also fun, and the wranglers are so nice and friendly. Hiking trails are everywhere.

Cabins: The cabins are clean and spacious. However, they do look a little outdated - they should consider remodeling some of their "luxury" cabins. The fireplaces are a nice touch, and are set up for you every morning after you use them. A nice touch are the golfcarts that you are given to get around the property in. Their toiletries are l'Occitane and their bathrooms are huge, probably close to 350 sq ft. They also have free Wi-Fi, which is slow, but usable (though you will probably try to avoid contact with the outside world anyway).

Property: Quiet. Relaxing. You might meet some other guests - everyone is relaxed in jeans - but you could also totally avoid contact if you wish. We probably only saw 20 people on ranch the entire stay we were there...we might have only spoken to 10 of them including staff. It's a very secluded and peaceful atmosphere. The firepit is a nice place to gather after dinner. They will bring out smores and any drink requests.

Service: Service bends over backwards to meet your every request. The only caveat is that the servers and waitstaff (whom you'll do most of your interaction with) are seasonal employees - which means they are barely trained, young college students, and you won't find the same professionalism or confidence you might expect from a Relais and Chateau property. Because of the lack of formality, sometimes you'll feel you might be asking for too much (you'll have to remind yourself of the price tag, and you'll feel better asking). Also, service basically stops around 9pm, so if you wanted a late night snack, you'd probably be left hungry.

However, you may enjoy the fact that they are very casual instead of professional - it's probably a personal thing. If you can get past the colloquial or casual service, you'll find that they will do anything to meet your needs. But for me, and for the price I was paying, I would rather have service that is expecting what I need, instead of having to ask for it. eg) they should offer and advertise mid-day dining or late night dining, I'd rather not feel like I'm making an odd request or making someone go out of their way. Relais and Chateau quality service should be seamless.

In summary, an outstanding place. However, for the high price tag you might expect flawless service and a professional staff - this isn't the case. Expect more casual service, yet it's service with the intention to please. Also expect outdated cabin decor and average breakfast and lunches. But in the end, you'll be happy, rested, and amazed by Montana.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank rorothedog
Valrico, FL
Reviewed 21 August 2009

My husband and I, our daughter and boyfriend, stayed at Triple Creek Ranch in early August. It is as close to heaven as one can get. We drove RVs, floated on the river, rode horses, shopped Hamilton, worked puzzles and at other times did nothing at all. We loved our cabin with its view of wildlife from elk to chipmonks. The food was superb, the staff was gracious, the horses were fat, and our every want was seen to by someone. The chef's table with the wine pairing is an event not to miss. Other than a little withdrawal from lack of Blackberry, everyone had a perfect time.

• Stayed August 2009
2 Thank Crazyponylady
NYC/CT
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Triple Creek Ranch is truly one of a kind. From the moment we arrived, we were blown away by the combination of the natural beauty of Montana and the phenomenal service at Triple Creek. Our cabin was great and the scenery breathtaking. The staff was so low key yet incredibly welcoming and helpful, trying to meet our every need and help us decide on activities for each day. When we went horseback riding we were packed delicious lunches--for hiking, not only did we get our lunch packed, but also a backpack with sunscreen, bug spray, etc. It is really unique that a luxury resort provides such personal service included with everything else. The dinners were wonderful and it was such a treat to go to the bar afterwards and have a specialty drink made just for us. We relaxed by the pool in the afternoon and used the tennis courts as well. The whole experience was like staying at the home of a very wealthy friend with an amazing ranch! We have traveled a lot and stayed in some great places, but Triple Creek is truly special--romantic, beautiful, fun, relaxing, and more. It was worth the trip from the East Coast and we will definitely be back!

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JBBBK
Paris
Reviewed 24 July 2009

This was our second time at Triple Creek Ranch and nothing has changed. Everything was wonderful. We will go back next year too. My only concern is the manager of the ranch is retiring. We are hoping that nothing changes.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flyfish1000
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Great location for winter travel. The nearby ski mountain, Lost Trail, is a hidden gem if you enjoy uncrowded slopes with good snow. A quality cross-country ski area is also in the vicinity, though we didn't make it there. The staff makes the resort the place it is, cheerfully fulfilling any request. For instance, on request they set up an impromptu tour of the neighboring CB Ranch (same owner at TCR) allowing us to see the new calves that had just been born over the past couple days. Lots of wildlife in the area to see, from an elk herd resident on the property to white-tailed deer, bald eagles, and others. Food and drinks are all inclusive and are of excellent quality. You do not go hungry at TCR. Cabins were nice and homey, stayed in one with a jacuzzi on the deck and a working fireplace. If I had to make a negative comment (admittedly minor), the cabin decor might benefit from a refreshing, though one of the tv's in our cabin was new and had a blu-ray player (they have a fairly extensive DVD library of popular movies). The wireless internet connection (believe is DSL) is also a bit slow, but you are out in the middle of nowhere. Also wouldn't be upset if they offered twice-daily room cleaning. So given those very minor items, the rest of the stay is all upside, from the staff to the food to the available activities like free horse rides. Guests seem friendly as well. Will definitely try to get back to check out another season, or perhaps make TCR a regular winter destination.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple