Countryside RV Park
Super 8 Dillon(Dillon)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$86
Travelocity
Comfort Inn Dillon(Dillon)(Great Value!)
US$90
FairBridge Inn Express(Dillon)(Great Value!)
US$112
Priceline
TripAdvisor
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
  • Free Internet
Rainbow Valley Lodge(Ennis)
All reviewslevel gravelnice campgroundbig rigseasy accessgrasssitesrvwififishingdogcanadainterstate
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I agree with the other poster on this RV park. It is very restful, great views. The owners are very nice. They all went out of their way to make sure we are safe and secure. One owner boasted about the fishing! Said he caught 12 trout the day before!! If we are ever this way again, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diana W
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Having just come over the passes from the smoke-inundated Bitterroot Valley and Hamilton, MT, I had my mind set on spending a few days at the RV park in the south end of Dillon, in town, as we had 4 years previously. But the drive through the mountains saw no relief from the Idaho fires smoke, and seemed awfully long. So as the day progressed and we headed east on Hwy 278 past side routes to destinations we'd explored back in 2008, like Bannack and the locally popular Elkhorn Hot Springs, I was pretty much ready to pause.

As we approached the Beaverhead Valley and I-15, on my right loomed a tall beaconed sign that said "RV Park", a place I'd kind of ignored the last trip, since it wasn't actually in town and as close to grocery stores, museums, and fly fishing shops. But this looked invitingly easy to get to, compared to the other park, which I knew would require a short stint of in-town driving and trying to locate it again. Temptation got the best of me, and at the last minute I slowed and swung the coach right and onto Sawmill Road and then into the roomy entrance of Countryside RV Park. Boy, that was one of the best spur-of-the-minute decisions I ever put on the board.

I'll get the negatives, such as they are, out of the way first; 1) the park could use more shade, but it's trees are there and young and will one day provide the intended cool respite, and 2) the posted in-park speed limit was ignored by many, including the owners/staff on their ATVs and their contractors, and a little dust and noise occasionally broke the otherwise peaceful ambience as they rocketed past our coach's picture windows.

That said, I have to maximize points for Countryside in every other category, because despite over a week of forest fire smoke sneaking over the Bitterroot and Beaverhead mountains, our stay was nevertheless enjoyable. The park is only a few minutes south of all the amenities of Dillon... hardware and grocery stores second to few, fuel stations and restaurants, a great old-town worth a walk through, a huge and very special museum, Lewis and Clark historical sites nearby (arguably the most important of the expedition), several world-renowned fly fishing shops and guides, and of course the venerable Beaverhead River flows alongside the town. The last trip, I caught 2 Brown trout a hop skip and jump from where the freeway access ramp hits the main drag in town.

As to the park itself, though not in town, it is perhaps more centrally located, because it is closer to the well-preserved historical ghost town of Bannack, the hot springs near Polaris, the larger fish below and in Clark Canyon Reservoir, and the significant Lewis and Clark site below that body's surface, memorialized in signboards lakeside. Less than a half mile east is Poindexter Slough, a well known Beaverhead fly fishing challenge. Surrounding the park is a horizonful of mountains, no doubt snow capped in the spring and early summer.

As mentioned, the park is pretty darned easy to get in and out of, and easily seen from the freeway, especially in the non-daylight hours when the flashing beacon high above the huge park entrance sign leads you right to it. I'd say nearly half the sites are level pull-throughs, full hookups with choice of 30 or 50 amps, and definitely big-rig friendly. And I've never run into this before, but they actually allow you to wash your rig on your site. So I did. No extra charge. I began to see why this park is one of the rare ones very highly rated in Good Sam's Trailer Life Directory.

You know how just about every RV park you go to claims it has WiFi as a benefit to staying with them, and then you try to use it from your rig, it's worthless, and the management gives some lame excuse about their router getting old or you're parked in just the wrong spot, or they don't understand why you can't get on. Well not at Countryside. They keep their system top notch, and use a high antenna off the office roof. In the 2 weeks we were there, only once did the WiFi fail, and they had a guy working on it post haste. Now, we weren't at the far end of the park, but a few long-term rigs were, and I assume they wouldn't stay out there if they couldn't benefit from all available park features, like Internet access.

We opted for a 30 amp hookup, since in September we had little need to run our roof airs or anything particularly power hungry, and we paid a little less as a result. There is no doubt in my mind, after a summer of travel across America and Canada, the owners of this park offered us the best value of any private, full service facility we encountered, and I hope they can keep providing such value in coming years; park fees are making it tough to use an RV anymore. Unlike many parks, Countryside includes any lodging services tax in the price, so no one has to calculate it each time, and after a week of paying day-by-day, they gave me the 7th day free and $20 back - in my case credit toward the 8th day.

By that time some of the forest fire smokey haze was dissipating from the horizon each day, and we opted to stay even longer, 15 days total as I recall, and of course they happily credited me at another week's rate. Even though close to the freeway, and large hay trucks traversed Sawmill Road and adjacent Hwy 287, it wasn't particularly noisy. That said, since this is ATV country, there may be more of them roaring around the park mid-summer, I'm not sure. I don't think they offered cable TV, but several stations came in off-air with our roof antenna and booster, so we were content enough with our boob tube.

The owners, who emenate a Texas-like friendliness, were phenomenal, though sometimes unavailable because they were running around on their ATV, servicing the park, setting sprinklers for the nice green lawns, or over dealing with construction issues with their contractor, as they try to get their new home finished before snowfall; that last one shouldn't be a problem for them next summer. Of course all that work kept them busy, and perhaps somewhat excused their speeding through the park faster than their own posted limit.

If away for a day, they have certain park residents that man the show for them, and everyone was super-friendly and helpful, and full of local information. Since we were there pretty much day-to-day, never knowing exactly when we were going to move on (since we liked it and there too much and got in a lazy laid-back mode), if I couldn't catch up with someone to pay my bill each day, no problem... with a smile they would say to just look them up the next morning.

Countryside is your kinda place if you like parks manned by people that ask you almost every day how your stay is going and genuinely seem to care that you have an enjoyable time while at their facility, who have a little tolerance if you aren't gone by precisely checkout time, or in my case, don't fret if you don't pay the next night's fee the first thing each morning. Keep in mind we were there after labor day - under mid-summer conditions where the park is more full or more heavily scheduled, they likely couldn't be as lenient, since like any responsibly managed park, they obviously have a commitment to those coming in with reservations and other paying guests. In that case, as a responsible RVer, you should make every reasonable effort to adhere to the normal checkout time.

In conclusion, I have to say kudos to John and Valerie, and Monty the dog too, at Countryside RV Park, and a big thank you for a particularly relaxing, laid-back couple of weeks. I didn't get out and fish quite as much as I'd liked to have, but the no-worries attitude and character of the place was contagious, leading to one of the best (and laziest) RV park stays of our 6 month 5000+ mile trip.

Well, not entirely lazy... I got to wash my coach and car!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple