“Experience that tops all others”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Emigrant
Mountain Sky Guest Ranch
Reviewed 18 April 2013

My family of 4 plus my mother spent a week at Mt. Sky in late July. I have traveled a lot, and must say that I give this a "5" because the service throughout the whole week - including the wranglers, the chef and wait-staff, reception, kid counselors, and others who we came in contact with were all superb. The General Manager Yancy makes it a point to get to know your name during the week, and the meals & activities are set up to encourage friendly interactions with the other guests that week. The food is delicious and prepared by a professional staff. We arrived with limited experience with horses, but left being totally comfortable riding multiple hours a day because of the excellent training and friendly, knowledgeable wranglers. The ranch has enthusiastic and experienced kid counselors who make sure that your kids have a GREAT time every day - my kids have stayed in touch with the new friends they made last summer. The placement of this ranch in Paradise Valley affords spectacular views, and a fresh trail every time you head out. The main lodge is "western" luxurious (think Teddy Roosevelt) and the cabins are kept in top condition. We're going back, as I hear most guest do after their first visit.

3  Thank L M

Reviewed 28 December 2012

We've gone to Mountain Sky for five years. Same week every summer. We met wonderful families our first year and because of the way Mountain Sky is set up many of us returned every year. Our kids looked forward to seeing each other every summer and we looked forward to seeing our Mountain Sky friends from England, Chicago, Washington DC, California, New York and Connecticut and to meeting new people every year. Mountain Sky is beautiful. Idyllic might be a better word. A throw back to a simpler time when kids of all ages could run around the neighborhood and hang out and everyone knew their neighbors. Of course the horseback riding and the wranglers are great. But if you don't want to ride you can hike, fish, white water raft, sit by the pool, get a massage, do yoga or just sit on the front porch and rock away. The food is outstanding and if you want something different just let them know and they'll figure it out. The cabins are cool - sort of 5 star rustic. Everyone has a living room, fireplace and separate entryway. Love the breakfast, lunch and dinner rides and one year 8 of us took and 8 hour ride . We got caught in a rainstorm about an hour from the ranch and felt like we were actually roughing it for an hour. When we're not at Mountain Sky we still see our friends. We've even taken other trips together but nothing is quite as special as Mountain Sky.

Room Tip: Everyone always seems to like the cabin they are assigned best, but if you don't after the first...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank A N
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Mountain Sky is a wonderful place to go. The activities are for individuals and families. Service is top of the line and the staff is wonderful. We are staying in contact with families we met while at the ranch and we are going back next year. This place is beautiful, relaxing and the prettiest place to be.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

Run, don't walk, to Mountain Sky. Beautiful location, exciting activities, sumptuous meals (not food, curated meals), and all knot together by a staff that is in danger of being adopted at the end of every week. At the end of the very first day, we all agreed that if we left that moment, I would be our best vacation ever.
A magical place. Don't know how they do it, but I'm going to be sure we are part of that magic over and over again.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Pagemurray
Reviewed 17 December 2012

My family has been coming here every summer in August for 18 years. I look forward to it all year long, thanks to the amazing staff, scenery and activities. Mountain Sky is a great place for families of all ages (when we started going I was 7 years old, and I still love being there with my family at 26). I love to go horseback riding, but if that's not your scene, you can go hiking, fly-fishing, relax by the pool or get a massage. There are also tennis courts, as well as a golf course (which is relatively new, and which I've not made use of yet). It's relaxing, but you'll never be bored. I cannot recommend Mountain Sky highly enough!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank KatieR512
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My wife and I had a great time here. I think most people will, with certain qualifications. This is a place for people who want to be outdoors and experience rural Montana. There is no television or radio on the property. There is excellent free wi-fi available, but only in the lodge, not your cabin. It is assumed that you want to horseback ride or hike. Golfing is also available. There really isn't much else to do here. Having said that, those activities are what I wanted to participate in, so I had an excellent experience.
The ranch exists in two incarnations. In May, September and October they have adults only lodging. In June, July and August it is family camp, where you stay for one week periods. I stayed in September, so I know nothing of the family camp. I have heard during family camp they have many activities designed for children, but I can't speak to that.

I can say that the cabin my wife and I stayed in was really big, with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. In terms of size it is the largest room I have ever gotten. Food comes included with your daily room payment. Breakfast and lunch are all you can eat buffet. Supper you have a choice of main course. I thought the food was excellent. There is a lot of staff around, and they are friendly and want to help.
The horseback riding was the highlight of our trip. I haven't been on a horse for 25 years, but they found one that worked for me. They have both morning and afternoon rides and the staff who worked with the horses really knew their business.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank davidcalifornia
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Mountain Sky is an exceptional ranch. Beautiful scenery, wonderful cabins, delicious food and fantastic fun. We came with our two children and they are already asking when they can return. You can do as much or as little as you would like. Thank you for a wonderful trip. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emigrant
Buck's T-4 Lodge
Lone Mountain Ranch
#3 of 9 in Big Sky
Paradise Gateway Bed & Breakfast
Yellowstone Country Bed and Breakfast

Been to Mountain Sky Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!