“Gem in a small town”

Continental Divide
Price range: US$20 - US$44
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: CLOSED FOR THE SEASON. The Continental Divide painstakingly prepares the best available fresh local and regional ingredients using the traditional methods of Europe. The extensive wine list is chosen carefully from large and small producers to match the cuisine. In true Bistro style attire is casual, but the cuisine is upscale. Weather permitting Alfresco dining with mountain views is extremely popular. Established in 1982 by Jay and Karen Bentley, the Continental Divide created a reputation for seasonal fine food in the small town of Ennis, MT. The restaurant was known far and wide for not only the French-Creole cuisine but for the engaging service of Karen Bentley. The restaurant was passed on to Eric Trapp in 1999 who proceeded to build on and refine the concept to a Continental-Bistro model with a larger wine list, an emphasis on game and seafood, and encouraging family friendly service. The Continental Divide moved to a stand alone location one mile north of town in 2006 and is open from Mothers day through October for dinner. Eric Trapp has been the Chef/Owner of the Continental Divide since 1999. Eric's training by Lyle McCullough in Ellensburg Washington began in 1983 and he worked in Seattle and Maui over the years refining his style and love for great food and dining experiences. The recreational opportunities of Montana that he shares with his family inspire Eric to bring fresh enthusiasm to the restaurant each new season.
Aurora, Colorado
“Gem in a small town”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The food was so wonderful. My husband had a beef tenderloin that almost melted in your mouth. The vegetables were fresh, cooked to perfection. The service was spot on. It is in a nice location and dining out on the porch was very nice. I hope I can revisit next time I'm in the area. Will recommend to family and friend in the area.

Visited July 2014

Clearwater, Florida
“An undiscovered treasure!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

This wasn't my first time dining at the Continental Divide and hopefully it won't be my last. I first ate here nearly 20 years ago, 20 years later it is still fantastic and it is still one of my favorite restaurants of all time. I only get out to MT every 4-5 years but if I'm in the state I will find a way to eat here. This year we made the nearly 3 hour round trip from West Yellowstone to eat at the Continental Divide and it was worth the drive! The meals are unique, with everything from classic steaks, duck, elk, bison and trout... the hard part is deciding what to order. The chef does a masterful job of pairing his dishes with unique sides that compliment the flavors of the entree and everything is presented beautifully. No fine dining experience is complete with out an amazing wine list and the Continental Divide has just that with wines from the US, South America, Europe and Australia. Unfortunately I had an hour and a half drive after dinner or I would have had a couple more glasses... The service is always great, quick, accommodating and knowledgeable.
If you are in Bozeman or Big Sky and certainly if you are in West Yellowstone (the restaurants in West are very average) do yourself a favor and make your way to the Continental Divide. Ennis is a quaint little town with some neat shops and the Continental Divide might be the best kept secret in the West!

• Visited June 2014
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Best Meal in a Long Time.. No Joke”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My husband and I were staying in the Ennis RV Park and read about this place on Tripadvisor and decided not to cook and walk over.. OMG what a GEM of a place. The Menu is unique and flavors have a lot of thought into them.. I had the Duck and it was melt in your mouth,tender and the sauce was wonderful. My husband had the Veal Picatta which was free-range and again the chef hit it out of the park.. The owner/chef came by the table to visit and no wonder it is so wonderful,because he takes so much pride in his baby.. The fresh vegetables that came with the meal were still crispy.. Perfect
Thanks..we will be back

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank one1badpirate
Mobile, Alabama
“Best cuisine in MT”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

You name it and if they have it here it will be spectacular! The duck is fabulous it all is. The whole experience here is special.

Visited July 2013
Belgrade, Montana
“Do not miss this restaurant!!!”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Oh what a wonderful meal!!!
We were actually on an RV trip staying within walking distance to this little unsuspecting plcae. It is only open for dinner with reservations prefered.
Our server was a young gal named Madison. She will be excellent with a bit more experience. She was well informed of specials and shared them with us. We shared a Caesar Salad for starters. This was good. I ordered the Bonelss Roasted Duck breast with crispy skin. It came with a mango sauce that was mouth watering. Served with Whole grain mix of Quinoa, Lentil, Beans & Aramath. Right up my alley of flavors and textures. My husband had Elk Chops rubbed with delightful spices and cooked perfectly. His meal came with polenta and nice mixed veggies.
The owner & Chef Eric, came around to all his guests and check to make sure everything was the way it was supposed to be. When he got us, he was taken back with all our compliments.
Our meal and experience well exceeded our expectaions! We have already recommended friend to go and eat there. You will not be disappointed~

• Visited August 2013