“Perfect Montano Experience”

Ranked #7 of 10 Speciality Lodging in Ennis
Virginia
“Perfect Montano Experience”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Quaint log cabins with large rooms and their own wonderful restaurant and bar. My husband and I loved it and the friendly staff. Staff were a great resource for Yellowstone and flyfishing base. Within walking distance of the main street of Ennis. Great Montano experience!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stayed here with my cycling group and it was one of the better places we stayed. i liked the log cabin - it was rustic, but the bed was comfortable and my room was clean. It wasn't fancy, but it had a nice vibe and enough space and the shower worked well - very important after bike riding 80 miles in the summer heat! I appreciated that it was very quiet at night and i slept well.

Room Tip: The cabins at the back looked best.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank califbikegal
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed 11 August 2012

This facility caters to locals and views outsiders like a vampire views blood.....you are just prey. The restaurant, to their credit, is GREAT. But the casino/bar is just plain nasty and it is run by discourteous, nasty employees who have their nose so far up in the air that there is an inch of snow on it at all times. They do a lot of "fund raising" here, but it seems like the money interest is for their own coffers....This was probably a beautiful and fun property back in the 40's, 50's, and maybe the 60's, but it needs to be cleaned up and maintained properly, instead of just slapping paint on and calling it a day...it's just awful.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Taylor W
Ennis, Montana
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This is a review of the hotel portion of this business only. The restaurant is a slightly better experience.

I live in Ennis and would not normally stay at a hotel in town but there was a problem at home that made it necessary to get a hotel room for the night. This was the only place that had a vacancy and allowed pets, so I had to take what I could get.

The price was steep (I think it came out to $78 after paying for my dog). The room was small and run-down on the inside, but that part of it I can get over. The part of it I could not get over is the bed. This thing was like a stack of cardboard with sheets on it. I kid you not...I got out of bed and lifted the bottom sheet to see if I was laying on just the box spring without the mattress. There was a mattress there, but it was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on and I have slept in some pretty uncomfortable places during my 6 years of active duty military service.

I planned to complain to the management the next day, but did not. I cannot believe that they have that bed in that room. With the money that they made off me in that one stay they could go and buy a good used mattress from a thrift store somewhere and it would be much better. Why would they choose not to improve this terribly uncomfortable bed?

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Eric J
Independence, Oregon
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Nice simple cabins with a good restaurant and bar as part of the property.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 28 August 2011

I am on the road for my job most of the year and have never even considered writing a bad travel review until my experience with Sportmens Lodge in Ennis MT. It is beyond horrendous. I can get over bad lodging/crappy accomodations but the rude 'its not my responsibility' attitude i got from the staff that quickly turned into gross incompetence left a bad taste in my mouth. It sucks because most independent hotels are better than the big chains and i try to support them whenever possible, but a place like this gives them a bad name. Stuff like this doesnt fly at the worst chains. There is no better advertisement for a Holiday Inn Express than Sportsmans Lodge.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank J B
Chico, California
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Arriving at the Sportsman's Lodge we were told we were to check in at the bar. Believe me there was no warm welcome at all. We were given the keys to our cabin and that was about it. From the outside these cabins look rustic but nice. However, the inside was not what I expected. The towels and sheets are thin, the bathroom small, dingy and there is no electrical outlet for a hairdryer etc. Our room was very dark even with two windows that were covered with tattered curtains. We stayed here because we were traveling by motorcycle and wanted to be able to walk to dinner and to town.
In all fairness the restaurant at the Sportsman's Lodge is very good and has friendly service. The bar area definitely catered to the locals.
We were able to walk to downtown Ennis from the Sportsman Lodge. Ennis itself is a nice little town that caters to tourists and fisherman. It has some nice shops, art galleries, a park and beautiful surrounding scenery.

Room Tip: I do not believe there is a best room.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennis
Fairweather Inn
Huntley Lodge
Huntley Lodge
#8 of 13 in Big Sky
Big Sky Resort Village Center

Been to Sportsman's Lodge? Share your experiences!