“It just gets better and better”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Union Grille

Union Grille
Price range: US$13 - US$31
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Serving Montana Regional Cuisine in a Historic setting. Patio dining next to the Missouri River. Many ingredients are locally sources and our trained Chef cooks dishes according to the season. AAA three diamond rating.
Calgary, Canada
“It just gets better and better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I've eaten in this hotel's restaurant many times over the years. It continues to get better and better every time.

Without exaggeration, my recent entre was the best steak I've ever had. An unbelievable and exceptional menu - I'm always torn to be limited to one choice.

Visited May 2014

Helena, Montana
“New chef, better results”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Looks like the Grand Union is back when it comes to dining and delivery! We were critical of the food the last time we reviewed this place and were reluctant to return. With a new chef recently announced it was worth our time to return for an anniversary dinner and it truly delivered. From the spicy shrimp appetizer to the black cod, it was a great meal and we're now anxious to return.

Many things on the menu are truly homemade, like the pasta, the blood orange sorbet, and the ice cream. It adds a great touch and it's apparent the chef likes to blend some pretty daring flavors that when combined, really add a great touch to the dining experience. The black cod was cooked perfectly and was topped with a sweet reduction but plated on a bed of wasabi infused mashed potatoes. At face value, an odd combination, but a terrific experience when you start to dig in.

Adding casual fare to the menu helps expand some of the options and is a smart move. The only negative from the menu was the Pasta Carbonara which was swimming a bit too much in sauce and excessive in pancetta. Regardless, it was still a tasty dish.

Glad to see that the Grand Union has stepped up again and congrats to the management for selecting an excellent chef to change things up. We're back.

Lethbridge, Canada
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

It may take you a little ways off the beaten path but the Union Grille Restaurant inside the Grand Union Hotel in Fort Benton, Montana is well worth the drive. Several times a year we travel nine hours round trip just to eat here. The dining experience is an overall delight, portions are just right, the price is great and the food itself - words are hard to find to describe the creative and flavorful dishes coming out of the kitchen. Chef Benjamin Thorpe has a very unique take on the dishes he creates, they are magic to the taste buds and on our most recent trip he delighted an entire restaurant, not to mention the birthday girl, with a rendition of Happy Birthday in Italian. Talk about making a lasting memory. From the first bite of appetizer right through to the dessert we were in culinary heaven. Already planning our next reservation!

Chinook
“The best of both worlds!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Who would expect to find this fine-dining experience along the "bloodiest street" in the west?
This was my 3rd visit for dinner over a span of time and every time I am impressed with the ambience, the view, the exceptional meal and service. This last weekend, Ben and staff prepared dinner for around 40 women. My daughter usually avoids me in public settings but she sat by me at dinner so we could sample from each other's plates. We had several ladies with allergies or diet restrictions and the entire staff graciously accommodated our every need. I've been home for 2 days - I haven't prepared a meal yet because I know it could never measure up!

San Bernardino, California
“Food hasn't changed but taste different.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I've been here several times over the past 2 years. This last year the food was amazing but recently, they have aquired a new chef. I guess they're doing the same menu but it just doesn't taste the same sadly. It's still good food but nothing like before. The restaurant itself is always gorgeous and the atmosphere is great though. I loved our waitress!