All reviewsmissouri riverbeautiful historic hoteljunior suitemontana historycentury hotelmodern convenienceswalk along the rivergreat view of the riverhistorical markerslewis and clarkpedestrian bridgesmall townhotel restaurantthird floorcomfortable roomsroom was largefresh fruit
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Amazing job restoring this historic hotel. The love and care are reflected throughout. Reception staff were terrific and displayed a sense of pride in both their town and the hotel. Definitely would stay here upon a return visit. The only thing that kept me from giving 5 stars was the retaurant. I ordered a meal and it turned out the last portion had been sold. The waitress or the chef made a substitution without ever asking me what I would like to order instead. Also, one member of our party requested a side of mashed potatoes and got lentils instead. One expects better service from such a nice establishment. Food was excellent--it was the service providing the food that disappointed us.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cmb12150
Reviewed 29 September 2012 via mobile

The Grand Union Hotel is a very beautiful place and has been perfectly restored. There is nothing to say about that and we strongly recommand to stay there if you plan to stop at Fort Benton.
However we were disappointed by our diner. It was globally good and affordable. But we have asked twice whether we could choose any meal proposed (there are 2 different menus) before we confirmed that we would have diner at the restaurant on site. Once we were sat, it was an other story. We had to move to the "saloon" part of the restaurant because we wanted to order less expensive meals.
There was plenty of place in the main dining room. How would has it harmed to bring our meal in one room or another ? We felt very lonely at our small table in the corner, as if we were punished!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Cigogne72
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Was told by two folks that we should go and stay in the Grand Union Hotel in Fort Benton, Montana. So we did. They were very helpful over the phone while making our reservation, letting us know the restaurant was not open on Tuesdays, so we changed our stay to Wednesday to enjoy the restaurant. Went to check in and couldn't find anyone at the counter, wandered around the entire first floor... finally found Cheryl in the dining room... she was very attentive, checked my husband and me in, gave us the key to the junior suite, and we took the elevator up in this 150 year old holel and couldn't get into our room, the key wouldn't work. Back downstairs, she came upstairs, got the door open with a smile (button had been pushed and key wouldn't work). Wonderful attitude. The room was clan and charming, the plumbing was fantastic (sometimes in old hotels, it's NOT). We had a corner suite, looking out over the Missouri, and down the banks from the other window. Quiet, very comfortable beds, and a nice place to spend our 33rd anniversary! She even brought us extra coffees for the kerig coffee maker in our room!

Room Tip: Choose the river view, we even saw fish jumpin'.
1  Thank Dranger
Reviewed 22 August 2012

This hotel and restaurant are incredible. You can tell that the restoration was a labour of love. We met one of the owners, Cheryl, who seems to be very "hands on". It is worth a trip to Fort Benton just to stay in this hotel. We had the largest suite- the Master Suite - and it was beautifully redone. The furniture is classic. It feels like you are in the living room of a turn of the century home but yet you have the comforts of a flat screen tv (very large) and the Internet (complimentary).

The bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom is nice although the shower is a little small. There is a quaint claw foot tub which is also practical as it has a shower head and hose attached to it.

Our room had three long windows that looked out over the large deck at the front of the hotel. One of the windows was larger and had an entrance to the deck and the screen was loose. It would have been easy to go out on the deck. But it was old and there was no furniture on the deck so I asked if we were permitted to use the deck. I was advised that it wasn't a good idea as the railing was not very sturdy. This is my second "complaint" if you will. (The first one was that the shower was small). That room would be priceless with access to the deck and furniture on the deck. It could even be offered as an option to have private dining on the deck (for a fee of course). I think it is too beautiful a view to not use that spacious deck. Personally I love hotel rooms with decks and think it would add so much more value and prestige to that room to have deck access. While I did not step on to the deck I reached out and touched the floor and it seemed to be sturdy - if it is just an issue of the railings I would highly recommend the deck upgrade to be the next labour of love that the owners undertake !!

The menu at the restaurant was varied and interesting but not too "out there". The food was incredible and the prices were reasonable. The service at the restaurant was amazing and not just our server. I observed many other tables and servers. Everyone was professional and friendly. A table next to us was a little obnoxious - "city" people trying to show how learned they were. The young waitress was respectful and responded to their many "concerns". We got the feeling that the servers were very tight knit - a little later an older waitress spoke to them very politely and let them know that she was their server's mother. I admired that. She was not threatening or rude in any way - but i believe she let them know they couldn't push her daughter around, which was good. To be clear their waitress was nothing short of amazing. Too bad they didn't realize it.

Our waitress was also very skilled - in so many ways. I dislike servers who are trying to be cool all of the time. These servers were just good,honest people with fabulous people skills. Here's what I liked most about our waitress (and the general attitude of everyone employed there)- any time I asked a question and they couldn't answer it, the answer was, "I don't know but I will find out for you!". And sure enough, she did. Some of the big chain restaurants could learn a thing or two from this staff.

A few final comments - it would be nice if the hotel had some sort of recreation, like a pool and an exercise room. But maybe they don't want to attract young families or business people. I was just thinking of traveling with children and how kids always want a pool. I realize that is probably not possible but an exercise room should be. All they would need is a room in the basement, a treadmill, bike, elliptical and some weights (or not) and they would be set. As well, thinking about travelling with children, it would be nice if they had the option of larger suites, with a separate bedroom. Even the suite we had could have had the area with the bed in a separate room and then a sofa bed for kids But again, maybe this is not meant to attract young families.

As far as a romantic place, it is top notch. If you have ever stayed at the Palliser Hotel in Calgary, the room decor is similar, without the exorbitant prices.

I can say, without hesitation, that we will be back. This is a lovely gem in a quaint town.

1  Thank xxhermxx
Reviewed 9 August 2012

No complaints about the hotel, cleanliness, location; all great. We travel there for dinner 3 - 4 times a year, but it seems the quality of the food has dropped since the new Chef took over. Pretty bland, nothing edgy, but still the same price. Wine glasses have shrunk to the size you'll get at any Chinese restaurant and even the side of bread has gotten smaller. (We had to request it last time, didn't automatically appear.) Kinda sad, it's always been our "go to" place.

1  Thank B L