“Very comfortable”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fort Benton
Atlanta, Georgia
“Very comfortable”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed here before and after our canoe trip on the Missouri. The staff was friendly and helpful; the owner was onsite much of the time. Everything is well done and comfortable. The food was very good. The atmosphere is casual and relaxed, but all the amenities are there. Stroll out along the river and down the streets of historic Fort Benton. We would definitely stay there again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The first thing we love about this place is its location along the Missouri River. Although technically not listed as a wheelchair accessible suite, we are so glad that we splurged and spent a night in a corner suite facing the river. The room was spacious and doors were plenty wide enough for my chair. We loved being able to open the windows to the outdoor air and river sounds--what a rare treat! The buffet breakfast was substantial and good--we especially enjoyed the muffins and jams.
My only disappointment was dinner at the Grille and is the reason I give this place four stars instead of five. The setting is perfect and last year we had amazingly perfect food. BUT this year did not measure up to our memory. First, nothing on the menu warned me that the shrimp dish would be so hot that it would completely destroy my appetite. Then, after my mouth cooled off I ordered dessert only to get a beignet completely uncooked in the middle. To their credit, the staff apologized and gave me a free replacement dessert which was a lovely rhubarb custard with huckleberry compote. We were a bit amused and disappointed in our artisan cheese platter appetizer over which someone had drizzled a balsamic sauce which was tasty but made the crackers and grapes messy to eat. Our sense is that the chef might be a bit young and new. I hope he returns to cooking food based more on the local area rather than a Cajun/Lousiana style. If I want New Orleans style seafood and Cajun cooking that's where I'll go. In Montana, I'd rather have more western style food.
Despite this, we plan to return because this truly is a lovely place in an historic and friendly place. It's a bit expensive but so worth it. I'll return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We had a great one-night stay at the Grand Union. You really step back into history here (when the hotel opened, the guests arrived by steamboat!) but you still get all the modern amenities, like free Wi-Fi and a complimentary continental breakfast. The setting of the hotel along the Missouri River is beautiful, and there are lots of interesting historic monuments and sites just steps from the hotel. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff very friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 6 August 2013

old west hotel at its best.spent two days in fort benton, there is much to see and do the hotel is beautifully restored we had a second story room overlooking the river. the patio dining was outstanding. the only thing not up to par was the breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Canon City, CO
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My only regret is that we didn't schedule enough time on our trip to adequately enjoy the town of Fort Benton, Montana. The Grand Union itself is stunning, and located right on the Missouri River where Lewis and Clark led their expedition. The rooms are wonderful and the patio is gorgeous. The hotel is a slice of history frozen in time--perfect! Don't miss this one!

Room Tip: Room 301 overlooks the river!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

I came to Fort Benton expecting to male a quick stop, but after walking the waterfront, I decided to spend a couple of days. The hotel charmed me from the moment I walked in the door. I was going to stay for one night, but opted for two when the clerk gave me a junior suite overlooking the river for a very reasonable price. When you explore te town, you learn what a key role it had in the development of the Prairies on both sides of the border. Well worth the stop.

• Stayed July 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Modern comforts: they have an elevator, the A/C works, the bathroom has enough elbow room, comfortable bed, and there's enough room on the desk to work on your laptop.
Benefits of an old historic hotel: a nice view of the river, grand staircase with carved wood banisters, period appropriate oil paintings, in-house bar and restaurant.
All this at a reasonable price.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Grand Union Hotel? Share your experiences!