“Great night in beautiful Fort Benton” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Union Hotel

Grand Union Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fort Benton
Great Falls, Montana
“Great night in beautiful Fort Benton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I always love staying at the grand union but this was better than ever. The hotel and setting are beautiful. At dinner I enjoyed the food more than usual and asked about the executive chef, I was told he was new and had been there about 3 months. Dinner was fabulous. Best was the homemade bourbon maple ice cream. If you are heading through central Montana it is a must stay or at least taste.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank 98765432198

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Vulcan, alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Both the hotel and the restaurant are great fun. The hotel is like stepping back in time and is in an incredibly beautiful location right on the Missouri River. We treated ourselves to dinner and a night out before setting out in our canoe to journey through the Missouri Breaks. The staff is efficient and friendly as well as being knowlegable about the area. Scenery around Ft Benton is great and the town has many good museums. The drive from Great Falls is not long but is very worthwhile.
Restaurant food is lovely, and served in old fashioned splendor. I wish I was there now!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Cut Bank, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I have visited the Grand Union Hotel in Fort Benton for many years, enjoying the restaurant, the food and the rooms. it is like stepping back into our stat's history to spend time there. What is not to like? The mid 1800's building is right on the banks of the lazy Missouri, and we like t dine outside, weather permitting. the menu and cuisine are simply great, and always something new. We have celebrated holidays, birthdays and anniversaries there, and it feels sort of like home, made more so by people like Dorothy, the manager, and our dear little waitress Mariah. There is no other place in north-central Montana I would rather visit.
Kay and Darrell Peterson
Cut Bank, MT

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I've travelled extensively in my career and, I like to say, I've stayed in the best and worst hotels in the world. I would rank the Grand Union as one of my top 3 favourite hotels.

It comprises everything a great hotel needs: modest size, amazing view (request a river view room), professional staff, outstanding restaurant*, quiet and comfortable rooms, interesting guests, beautiful architecture, and a touch of "no fanfare"/"off the radar".

I've spread the word of this gem to most of my friends and colleagues - and they've all come back and agreed with me. In fact, we've all somewhat adopted Fort Benton as our base of operations for all our Montana adventures (I'd highly recommend reading up on the area before visiting, it'll really enhance your appreciation of its significance).

*Reviewed separately

Room Tip: Ask for a "river view" or a "park and river view"!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Nipawin, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We drove in to Fort Benton to get gas and quickly look around. We were on a long road trip from Canada to California. We found this historic gem and stayed the night. Beautifully restored and well appointed rooms. Peaceful, quiet. The restaurant is amazing and was one of the best meals on our trip. It was such an amazing experience we stayed again on our way home. Room 306, a junior suite overlooking the river was magical. Lay in bed and gaze at river and listen to the birds.

• Stayed May 2014
GU1882, Manager at Grand Union Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
We love surprises too and your thoughtful review sure was a pleasant one to find today! Thank you so much and we hope to have you stay again for another peaceful visit in the near future. Let us know and we will do our best to book you into Room 306 again - the birds and the Missouri River will be waiting!
Havre, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Stopped in without a reservation. My husband and I simply decided we'd had enough cheese burgers. This historic building (built late 1800) is beautifully appointed. I had the ravioli stuffed with lobster claw ($23)and my husband had the rib eye ($29). A small spring green salad and warm artisan bread proceeded the meal. I'm not much for wine, although they had a separate beer and wine menu. I had a mojito. It was fantastic as were both our meals. Nicely presented, reasonably priced, tasted great. We learned that the menu. Changes seasonally. Hotel has 24 rooms for around $160 night. It sits along the headwaters of the Missouri. I think a fantastic place to hideaway for a weekend. North of Great Falls MT on highway 87. They serve a complimentary continental breakfast, granola, fruit, coffee, danish. . . .

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carrie_In_MT
GU1882, Manager at Grand Union Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review from your recent visit to the Grand Union - we are so happy to hear that we have exceeded your expectations! I am delighted to let you know that we have 26 rooms to relax in, and with our Single Queen rate of $135 + tax, the expectation may be even better? We do hope you can return soon for another fantastic meal in the Union Grille and for a stay in one of our rooms. Another chance to impress is always inspiring to our staff. Thanks again! ~ Dorothy Meyer, Manager
Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We live about an hour from Ft. Benton and the Grand Union so it is easy and convenient to come to this historic beauty perched on the shore of the Missouri River. And it is always worth the trip. Although we have stayed as a hotel guest several times over the years, we may the journey most often for the fabulous dining in the restaurant. We just returned from an Easter Dinner and it was just perfect. We were welcomed by the owner, Cheryl and her staff. The dining room was a beautiful reflection of a spring day. And, the food was just perfection. The chef (aargh...forgetting his name) is a recent addition and his talents were on display. The Grand Union does a number of food and wine events or weekend parties. If you are going to be anywhere close by you should make sure to check it out.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Been to Grand Union Hotel? Share your experiences!