We wanted someplace scenic. Check.
We wanted someplace authentic. Check.
We wanted someplace fun. Check.
What we got was so much more!!!!!
We drove to Nice Quarter Circle Ranch from California, and the closer we got, the more spectacular the scenery. How nice that Teton National Park and Yellowstone just happened to be on the way. We couldn't believe how lucky we were when driving up the river valley from West Yellowstone we actually got to turn in to "our" driveway and stay in the middle of the most beautiful place ever. As we drove toward the ranch on the 5 mile drive along the Taylor Fork River, we were speechless. And then we saw it. A gorgeous ranch in its own little valley.
We were greeted very warmly, shown to our awesome cabin, and given a rundown of the place. We took a walk and marveled at this wonderful place we had found. The week officially began with the evening happy hour where we met our hosts. Kim, Kelly and Kameron were fantastic- fun, knowledgeable, friendly and the real deal. You immediately feel the history of the place. Then the dinner bell rang and we were off to the gorgeous lodge. Amazing fireplaces, and trophy animals lining the walls. Then great food, breads, fruit, coffee, desserts. We loved the food all week. The kitchen staff was very pleasant and so accommodating. I really enjoyed the bell they rang each meal time. So nice to hear that bell 3 times a day, calling us in for another wonderful meal.
The next morning the riding began. The horses are unbelievable. I've ridden all my life. My own horses and plenty of "rental" horses. These were unlike either. They're the real deal as well. These horses live on thousands of acres, and are rounded up every spring. They're happy and healthy and sturdy and sweet. They're obedient and gentle. Some of the guests were not experienced, and some of us were. They matched us up with the right horses, and they were happy to switch if anybody wanted to. I loved my horse, but ended up riding another one mid week. Then I kept riding that one. It was better than a candy store.
And we loved the wranglers. Very capable young people working under a seasoned head wrangler and the Kelsey family. The wranglers lead all the rides, but they were more than that. They were knowledgeable guides and funny and friendly and tailored each ride to the desires of the group. They kept everybody safe, and offered local lore and flora and fauna identification along the way. We really enjoyed getting to know each one.
Off the ranch, I went alone on a river raft trip one day. How great to have that just down the road. It was a great river trip.
Speaking of river, it was so nice sitting on the porch of our cabin looking out at the little valley and the grand mountains and the river and hearing the river rushing past the ranch.
Oh yeah, the fly fishing- whether in the pond or the river, the equipment furnished and an expert guide/teacher. And watching the little trout trying to get upstream. So fun.
This review is already too long. Here's a summary:
GREAT horses, people, scenery, food, activities, staff, gift shop, cabins, location, fly fishing, hiking, etc etc etc. The week flew by.
Absolutely recommend Nine Quarter Circle!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lifelong memories and familial bonds are just two of the amazing “side-effects” to an All-Inclusive Dude Ranch vacation. While the deep rest and relaxation rejuvenate you, the awesome scenery will feed your soul. The many activities and sports that you can enjoy will provide you with experiences and memories that last a lifetime! Finally, and most long-lasting, are the strengthened ties that your family will experience. Adjacent to Yellowstone Park and surrounded by millions of acres of National Forest and the Taylor-Hilgard wilderness area, our family-oriented vacations feature riding for all ages and all levels of horsemanship, blue-ribbon fly-fishing, incredible scenery and traditional hand-crafted log cabins and furnishings – all served with the West’s best hospitality! You may also enjoy hiking the area, viewing wildlife and wildflowers in abundance and you can even bring a bike to explore some awesome mountain trails! In addition, you’ll have the opportunity to engage in many other traditional activities such as campfire, hayrides, square dance and more! In addition to all of these benefits, our on-site fly-fishing guide, the children’s programs, meals, and much more are all included in your stay! These all combine to create a unique and ideal location for your vacation. Owned and operated by the Kelsey family for over 60 years, the Nine Quarter Circle is “magical”. Come and experience the place “where time stands still”. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- 9 Quarter Circle Ranch
- Nine Quarter Circle Ranch Hotel Gallatin Gateway
- Nine Quarter Circle Hotel
- Nine Quarter Circle Ranch Montana/Gallatin Gateway