One of the most pleasant stays anywhere ever and we nearly missed it - I hope you don't mind me telling a little story: The problem is they were/are in the process of remodelling the grounds which means when we saw the sign and stopped just past the lodge, all we could see was a muddy track and an old shack. But we'd been travelling for hours (driving from Jackson Hole) and didnt look round properly. We also knew we were still 15 miles from the skiing. So we carried on to Big Sky ski resort and looked at the hotels there and thought maybe we'd forget the booking and stay right at the resort. Luckily the hotels are a bit dull and we decided to spend one night at the RRL and see the next day.
Back we drove to the lodge and found the right building. Inside it was lovely and the staff were very friendly. They showed us to a gorgeous room (pondside luxury king) a lot like a log cabin with an amazing bath, shower, double sink and dressing area. The room had a flat TV hidden behind a picture and a view across the pond to a lovely old barn on the other side. But they said the bidet was broken so the next day they would move our stuff into a (pondside luxury) suite which was the same as we had but with a seperate living area with another flat TV hidden behind a picture.
The main lodge is lovely too - comfortable sitting areas and a very good restaurant.
1. The breakfast is a bit thin (juice, coffee, buns)
2. The remodelling of the grounds
But it was hard to care about either of these things when the rest of it was so wonderful. In addition everyone we met in Montana was really friendly, the scenery is amazing, the ski resort of Moonlight Basin (attached to Big Sky) is great for the type of skiing we like to do (long sweeping blue runs and some glade skiing) and above all it's really quiet - we parked every day right near the slopes and one day one of the guides even carried our skis to the edge of the slopes for us.
Of course it helps to be staying in the best room but on this occasion you really get what you pay for and I wouldn't hesitate to go back (which we would love to do) or recommend it.
And finally, when we got to Bozemon Airport to fly out we parked about 50m from the 2 storey terminal building which was like something out of the 50s. The check-in staff were friendly, there was a decent cafe and the plane (we flew from the UK in and out of Chicago) only had 2 seats either side so it was like being in First Class. All in all we much preferred it to Jackson Hole.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rainbow Ranch Lodge is an intimate twenty-one room hotel and gourmet restaurant located on the banks of the Gallatin River in Big Sky, Montana. Whether riverside or pondside, accommodations at Rainbow Ranch Lodge provide a sanctuary for post-adventure relaxing or a romantic getaway for two. Located in a sweeping valley in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, the Rainbow Ranch Lodge's location is ideal for both summer and winter activities. Our proximity to Yellowstone National Park affords our guests endless opportunities for outdoor adventure and exploration, including world-class fly fishing, horseback riding, hiking, whitewater rafting, and kayaking. Whether you choose an experienced local guide service or venture out on your own, the breathtakingly rugged, natural beauty of southwest Montana will restore and rejuvenate your senses. One of the top 10 winter destinations in North America, the Big Sky area offers a variety of winters activities including downhill skiing at Big Sky Resort, Moonlight Basin and Lone Mountain Ranch, as well as cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, dog sledding, and winter fly fishing. If your winter preferences lean more towards comfort and warmth, the Rainbow Ranch Lodge's spa services and luxurious guest rooms provide the perfect alternative to a day spent outdoors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers and Booking.com so you can book your Rainbow Ranch Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rainbow Ranch Hotel Gallatin Gateway
- Rainbow Hotel Gallatin Gateway
- Rainbow Ranch Montana
- Rainbow Ranch Lodge Montana/Gallatin Gateway