“The Only Place to Stay!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Above the Rest Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gardiner
Above the Rest Lodge
Lake City, FL
“The Only Place to Stay!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2007

Two years ago we had dinner with friends who were staying in the Mansion and were very impressed with the location and house. When we went back this summer we booked 4 nights there and wouldn't have traded it for anything! Yes, the road is a little steep and can be a little "washboard" in some places, but the views and privacy you get when you're at the house is well worth the drive up. The views and wildlife are unbeatable! I recommended this place to friends who went last year. They only booked one night and insisted upon staying in Yellowstone for 2 nights. When they returned home they told me they should have listened to me and booked all 3 nights at Above the Rest. You couldn't pay me to stay anywhere else!!

• Liked — views and location
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank johnson_jlj

Business
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2007

We stayed in the Rich cabin for two nights. Clean, clean, clean... plenty of towels. This is like a two bedroom home more than a cabin. We even used the gas grill provided on the deck overlooking great scenery. It was great to relax with comfort and room like home. I even enjoyed the special touch of candles.

• Liked — felt like a home
  • Disliked — drive up to cabin
  • Stayed June 2007
      Check-in / front desk
1 Thank goandtravel
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2006

I was a bit leary in making this reservation based upon some of the previous negative comments but I was pleasantly surprised! We stayed in the Shirley Bells cabin and we had a great experience.

PROS
- Great location looking down on Gardiner, the Yellowstone River, and the NW entrance to the park.
- The cabin (house actually) has plenty of room for at least 10-12 people and can squeeze in more if you are a bit creative. Each of the 3 bedrooms have two queen beds and the living room has a sleeper queen and plenty of floor space for inflatables/bed rolls.
- The cabin (house) was tidy and reasonably modern. Plenty of kitchen and eating space and the two bathrooms were reasonably sized.
- The elk & moose deer wandering right past the cabin was a blast! One of the previous guests complained about the bison actually leaning against the cars but they weren't close by when we were there and I thought it was great to be close to all the wildlife.
- The ability to go out your back door and hike down to the river was a great opportunity. Don't go without preparation, however, it is a long way to hike back up the hill... a good 60 minute hike if you get out of breath like me!
- We were there in mid-June... the temps were quite cool in the evening and morning and the electric heat was great. There is no A/C in the cabin but we had daytime temps in the high 70s and saw no problem... always a good breeze and the house seemed to stay pretty cool even in the hot sun.

CONS (but nothing significant)
- Our group had cell phone services from both Cingular and T-Mobile -- neither phone would work at the cabin or around Gardiner... I don't know what cell service is available around Gardiner but check in to it if you consider contact with the outside world important... there is no landline service at the cabin.
- While the cabins are only 1.5 miles from Gardiner (literally a stones throw), the trip is via a steeply graded gravel road that has a lot of "wash-boarding". This made it more of an adventure to me but one person in our party was a bit scared by driving on the steep grades. The road is not dangerous... just winding, bumpy, and steep.
- The water is run through a water conditioner so it is super soft... perhaps too much for some people. The softened water has just a hint of sulfur ("rotten eggs") but I had no problem drinking it. I didn't notice any rust in the sink or elsewhere although I suspect that this could be a problem if the water conditioner was not functional.

• Stayed June 2006
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank NomDePlume00
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2006

This was the best place to be if your going to Yellowstone. We stayed in Rich's cabin with our four children. It was situated perfectly with a small dirt road leading to the cabins so that we felt like we were out in the wilderness, yet only 10 minutes from Gardiner, which has stores, grocery, gas, and restaurants.

The Elk and deer came right up to the cabin. The view was heavenly (you can actually see Mammoth). And yet we were warm and cozy during those lovely June wind and rain storms that came in every evening.

The north entrance was full of animals. We stayed in Yellowstone 8 days and were able to reach all parts of the park from the cabin. We saw pronghorn, white tail deer, elk, coyotes, bald eagles, swans, not to mention the mother bear and her two cubs we saw early morning just outside of mammoth on my birthday - what a treat.

My boy cried when he woke up in the car on our home street and wailed "I don't want to go home! I want to sleep in Montana!" We'll be back!

Stayed June 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2006

I have been taking my family to Above The Rest Lodge every summer for the past 10 years. We have stayed in all of the cabins, and have enjoyed each and every stay. I have recommended Above The Rest to many of my friends and co-workers, and all have been pleased with the cabins, the surroundings, and the beauty. These cabins are for those who want all the comforts of home, with nature right outside their door, and with the privacy that a traditional lodging experience does not offer. I have always found our cabins to be very clean and well maintained. I will keep coming back!

Stayed August 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2005

We tried to stay a week at Above the Rest Lodge in Gardiner Montana and ended checking out after one night. The cabin was dirty, no linnens were clean, the owner was not hepful at all. The cabin was in POOR repair. Not at all what is seen on the web site. I would not advise anyone to consider this lodge.

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Gilbert AZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2005

Steph's Cabin was nothing like the information we found on the internet indicated. Old beat up house. The front yard is full of weeds. No TV as indicated (broken?). No pillow cases, no bedding for the extra cot we requested. Coffee pot full of mold. The only bedroom was full of flying bugs from the torn window and slider screens. We checked out quickly.

Stayed August 2005
3 Thank jancox3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardiner
Best Western By Mammoth Hot Springs
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#3 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Yellowstone Gateway Inn
Yellowstone Gateway Inn
#1 of 6 in Gardiner
Super 8 Gardiner/Yellowstone Park Area

Been to Above the Rest Lodge? Share your experiences!