“Very clean and comfortable”
Review of Riverside Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gardiner
Riverside Cottages
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Gardiner
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Don't let the one star rant put you off. This is a good place run by good people. Summer rates are high in Gardiner, and at $120 this was the lowest we could find with no reservation. The owner couldn't have been nicer, and refunded us $10 when he realized he had made a mistake. We wouldn't have known. (Note to self: visit in the off-season or try to stay by the West gate.) Room was newish, lots of plugs, flat scteen tv, microwave and fridge, use of hot tub and communal patio overlooking the river.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Dickfluff

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Our family of six stayed for two nights at the Riverside Cottage # 9. This cottage sleeps six. Laura Cox show us around, how to operate the hot tub, remote for satellite, etc. Very thorough information. The cottage is very very clean. Has very nice kitchen with all needed utensils, pots and pans, stove, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, dishes, everything ! Shower is BIG and clean. Beds are good. Kids love the bunk beds ! Kitchen table sits six. Cottage has wi-fi ! Bring your laptops ! Would have love to stay longer at this cottage. Owners are nice. Cottages are about 5 miles to Mammoth Spring northern Yellowstone entrance. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to Yellowstone. Thank you Eddie and Laura for a relaxing night's stay at your cottage # 9. Tong & Molly (Wisconsin).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank joot95
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We visited Yellowstone in July 2011, a group of 8, and stayed at Riverside Cottages for one night. We booked 2 cottages, one had the capacity to sleep 6 people, was nicely decorated with bear theme, had bunk bed. It was a basic room with kitchen. The other cottage had a queen bed, again was nicely decorated with fish theme. Both the cottages were very clean and comfortable. Outside the cottages, there was a deck with the hot-tub, very good to relax in after a long day at the park. They also have a steep walkway to the Yellowstone river. Within 10 min drive from these cottages, there are good dining options. Would recommend this place for a basic short stay option.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank stellarsheen
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We just stayed for one night visiting Yellowstone NP by motorbikes. The rooms were perfectly clean and quiet. The owners were very helpful and nice and didn't mind us checking out late. The hot tub is great after a long day in a cold park.
You will have trouble finding a better value for money in the area.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ArneBerlin
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Road trip. 11 days, 5,500 miles, 10 states, 3 provinces . Best Hotel? Riverside Cottages ,hands down. The owners are so friendly and helpful. You can tell that their hearts are invested in this place and they want you to enjoy your stay. A little quirky, and very charming. Stayed 2 nights,and would have loved to stay a week.

Room Tip: Stayed in main building. Lots of room for 2 adults and 2 teens
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Melinda013
Reviewed 9 July 2011

This was my 2nd most HORRIBLE travel experience in 50+ years of traveling throughout the world. Upon checking in late around 8:30 p.m. at Riverside Cottages overlooking the Yellowstone River on Rt. 89 in Gardiner, Montana, we were greeted by the owner, Edie Cox, who informed us that he and his wife were from Texas. Rather than simply hand us the keys to our ‘cottage,’ he gave us a very thorough walking orientation tour of his property, entering our room and showing us how to use the Dish TV remote and informing us about all of the wildlife that frequent their property, etc….He was very proud of how well they were doing, informed us of how many potential customers they turn away each night, and were building more cabins. My first impression was that this guy was a bit over-bearing when all we wanted to do was get showered and go to bed, but thought, well, perhaps this was simply Texas hospitality in Montana. That is, until the nightmare began. My husband and I had spent a very long day in Yellowstone National Park photographing scenery and writing travel journals. We were sunburned and very tired. I was second to hop into the shower and was soaking wet when the water went cold. Yes, I was miffed, as any of you would have been, after paying $140 for the room. So after taking my cold shower, drying off, and trying to get warmed up whilst watching the shocking news of the Casey Anthony trial on TV, I got up to blow dry my hair and there was no dryer in the room. So, I reluctantly called the owner at 10:00 p.m., ask him how he justified charging $140 for a room that was unable to deliver two consecutive hot showers and requested a hair dryer per their ‘hospitality’ guest card. He immediately became defensive and shouted into the phone, “I haven’t had a complaint in 6 years! I don’t care who you are, nobody talks to me like that! Why didn’t you just call me and I would have come down to take care of the hot water! (I guess I was supposed to have hopped out of the shower soaking wet, find the number to call him, and meet him at the door naked) - I’ll refund your money and you can get out of here!!!” First, I didn’t appreciate being completely disregarded as though my complaint was invalid by his thoughtless reply, “nobody else has ever complained!” Frankly, I consider such an idiotic statement defensive and immature. Rather than simply apologizing, acting in a civil manner, and having his wife deliver a blow dryer, this guy goes off on me! Then the nightmare escalates by this large looming man coming down to our room without a blow dryer, insisting on entering our room to see if the water was hot, while I am standing there in a nighty with my husband already in bed half asleep!!! Upon entering the room, the owner insists on us packing up our things and getting out stating, “Do you have any idea how many times I could have rented this room tonight?!” Here I am, 5’1” tall, facing off with a very intimidating 6'4" man who is verbally assaulting me because he refused to believe his ‘cottage’ didn’t have enough hot water, and was apparently offended that I would dare raise a complaint! I was in no way rude, just succinct and to the point, so it’s not like I was cursing him out or using inappropriate language! My husband, who is older than me, wasn’t about to hop up out of bed in his underwear, face off with an irrational mad man, escalate the situation, and end up in the hospital, so there I was holding my own, a woman of nearly 60 years old, being bullied by the cocky Texan! He was so out of control that I honestly felt threatened as he was shouting at us to vacate the premises. Just then his wife, Laura Cox, enters our room with the blow dryer and goes back to the shower with her hubby and turns on the shower to test the temperature of the water as though neither of them believed me! This is now almost 30 minutes since I was in the shower, so I simply said, “the water heater may have recovered by now.” The hulk spun on his Texas spurs and again repeated he "didn’t care who we were and we had to leave immediately!" I refused to back down and told him we had no place to go out in the middle of nowhere when all the properties near Yellowstone, this time of the year, were booked solid. He didn’t care one iota and kept insisting on refunding our money while attempting to throw us out on our ears! I told him we were too tired to go anywhere, would NOT vacate the room, but I would call the local sheriff instead because we had not done anything wrong to merit being treated in such an abusive manner. Believe me, this nightmare is exactly depicted as it happened – or should I call it a night terror?!?! But alas, the never ending story continues….about 30 minutes later, around 10:45 p.m., when my hair is dried and I am ready to collapse into bed, the hulk came back down to our ‘cottage’ and informed us he had found us a room at the Gardiner Comfort Inn and he would transfer our funds. I repeated, with a very stern tone, that we were too tired to pack up our things and move and would remain in our room for the night. Just as I am about to call 911 for help, he walked off saying, “I hope you are able to sleep tonight!” Well, guess what, after such a shocking and downright abusive experience, I was UNable to sleep at all because I was so emotionally distraught wondering if he would again return! Our grand journey through the West from Arizona through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana was greatly diminished by this travel terror that left me traumatized and feeling quite ill from lack of rest. So the moral of this story is: don’t dare step out of line at Riverside Cottages or open your mouth about anything whatsoever, or the owner may throw you over the rails into the Yellowstone River or feed you to the foraging bears they are so proud of, and you may never be heard from again….travelers BEWARE of the ‘Wild-life’ in Gardiner, Montana!

Room Tip: Try to get a room @ Mammouth Hot Springs or Roosevelt Lodge and AVOID Gardiner, Montana!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
44  Thank WorldSprinter18
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We arrived in Gardiner at 11:00 PM, but our host, Eddie, was waiting to show us our parking spot, help us with luggage, and acquaint us with "our" home and property. We entered the family cottage through a covered patio, complete with table, chairs, and a grill. Inside, the cottage was newly painted and sparkling clean. We had ample room to prepare and eat meals, store food and belongings, and room for our two-year-old grandson to scatter his toys. We found enough electrical outlets to charge DVD's, cameras, phones and i pods and to plug in hair dryers and curling irons. My husband and I had a bedroom and our daughter and grandson were quite comfortable on the living room sofa bed. Best of all, our knowledgable hosts told us the best places for adventures, activities, and finding wildlife. They even loaned us beach towels for a dip in the Boiling River. This is the perfect place for exploring YNP. We did not want to leave.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank curysue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardiner
Best Western By Mammoth Hot Springs
Travelodge Gardiner at Yellowstone Park North Entrance
Comfort Inn Yellowstone North
4 mi away
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Super 8 Gardiner/Yellowstone Park Area
Yellowstone's Absaroka Lodge

Been to Riverside Cottages? Share your experiences!