“Excellent service and wonderful knowledge”
Review of Parks' Fly Shop

Parks' Fly Shop
Ranked #1 of 2 Shopping in Gardiner
More attraction details
Owner description: Parks' Fly Shop is a full-service fly shop and fly fishing outfitter that has been serving southwest Montana, the Yellowstone River, and Yellowstone National Park since 1953, under continuous Parks family ownership. We are a small "old-fashioned" shop focusing on our region-specific guide service, a large selection of area-specific fly patterns (around 45% designed and/or produced locally), and outfitting anglers for the Yellowstone region. In addition to our fly tackle, we stock conventional fishing gear, bear spray, binoculars and spotting scopes, apparel, and various other odds and ends. You may also be interested in the Gardiner Guesthouse, our affilated B&B, owned by Richard and Nancy Parks.Please check the How-To section of our website or contact us for plenty of free information on fishing the Yellowstone area that will help make your trip a success, whether you're fishing on your own for an afternoon or with our guides for a week.
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Did a full day with Phil as my guide. It was slow because of silt form the rain. But we caught plenty and some nice large cutthroat trout. Phil is an easy going guide that knows his stuff well and knows every part of the river!

The shop itself carries some attitude, but has great flies and the staff is knowledgeable and will offer information to help you catch some decent fish.

1  Thank bbally

Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

Visited this shop several times over 5 days and took an all-day float with their head guide and an associate. They know the area fishing, stock great flies and write excellent books (Parks' Yellowstone fishing guide, Wiese's fly pattern book that includes histories and design notes). Only downside: the owner and his head guide seem harsh and even bitter. Please understand, I'm recommending the shop, but be prepared for some "astringency," so to speak.

1  Thank BRsystems
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I have been visiting Yellowstone National Park for the past 10 yrs and have been dealing with the knowledgeable folks at Park's Fly Shop for the whole time. They are the closest fly shop to the fabled Yellowstone waters. Everyone has always been more than friendly in every aspect of our visit whether it is recommending flies, a river to fish, or even the best place to grub and grab an adult beverage. Richard, Walter, Ben, and Wilson will help make your Yellowstone trip the one of a lifetime!!

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I spent a full day on the Yellowstone river with Walter Wiese. The fishing was excellent. It was one of best days I have had fly fishing. Lots of bugs and lots of fish.

Walter is an excellent guide and has a really good handle on the local bugs. He ties some excellent patterns as well.

If you are in the area, Parks Fly Shop is worth a visit. Stop in for well tied flies and good information for fishing the Yellowstone as well as the rivers in the Park.

I will go back and definitely use Parks for another guided trip.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

This was my first fly fishing adventure to the Yellowstone area. I booked a walk/wade trip for the Gibbon and Firehole Rivers. Due to warm temps my guide (Walter) offered me some small creek and river fishing. The morning was filled with beautifully colored west slope cutthroats and the afternoon consisted of larger rainbows, browns and a mountain whitefish from the Gardner River. Walter is extremely knowledgeable and patient, when untangling line and even late in the afternoon while he was waiting for me to catch up to him. (If you are not used to high altitude, it will affect you.....) WHEN I return to the Yellowstone area, I will definitely book another trip with Parks Fly Shop and would recommend their services to anyone looking for a great day of fishing.

2  Thank Flyfisher410

Been to Parks' Fly Shop? Share your experiences!