“Dream Day in the Park”
Review of Parks' Fly Shop

Parks' Fly Shop
Ranked #1 of 2 Shopping in Gardiner
More attraction details
Owner description: Parks' Fly Shop is a full-service fly shop and fly fishing outfitter that has been serving southwest Montana, the Yellowstone River, and Yellowstone National Park since 1953, under continuous Parks family ownership. We are a small "old-fashioned" shop focusing on our region-specific guide service, a large selection of area-specific fly patterns (around 45% designed and/or produced locally), and outfitting anglers for the Yellowstone region. In addition to our fly tackle, we stock conventional fishing gear, bear spray, binoculars and spotting scopes, apparel, and various other odds and ends. You may also be interested in the Gardiner Guesthouse, our affilated B&B, owned by Richard and Nancy Parks.Please check the How-To section of our website or contact us for plenty of free information on fishing the Yellowstone area that will help make your trip a success, whether you're fishing on your own for an afternoon or with our guides for a week.
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I've done 3 guided trips with Park's, shopped there many many times, and am consistently impressed with the shop and guides. It's clear these guys know what the hell they are doing and love doing it. My most recent trip was with Ben, who is truly a fisherman's fisherman. This guy is NUTS about fishing and has as much fun putting clients on fish than if he were catching them himself. I've been fly fishing in Montana most of my life, but my friend on this particular trip was on his second day ever. Ben knew exactly what to do so that we both had a GREAT time. The big rivers were muddy that day, so we headed out to the upper Gardiner river in the morning, a drop-dead gorgeous hike, and we netted loads of beautiful brookies in 2-3 hours, and the day just got better from there. We then headed to another smaller stream that had much more technical fishing and absolutely nailed the prettiest cuttbows and rainbows I've ever seen. What a day.
All in all, I've probably done 30-40 guided trips in the past, and this trip was THE BEST I'VE EVER HAD. I am definitely coming back next summer for more, and more, and more...

Aside from the guide trips, the shop is fantastic. Nobody knows as much about fishing in Yellowstone than Richard Parks, in fact he literally "wrote the book" on it. He has imparted his abundance of knowledge on the shop staff, and they will steer you in the right direction. Yellowstone is a dynamic place and the rivers and streams are constantly changing, these guys know all the places to hit and when to hit them.

1  Thank jasonhass
in 30 reviews
"casting"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Took a hike to the Black Canyon of the Yellowstone with Ben in July 2013. After an hour and a half hike we came to a deserted stretch of the river. This half mile stretch of river was teeming with eager Yellowstone Cutthroat trout. The fishing was fairly easy and with Bens encouragement and knowledge my son and I caught many trout. It was the type of trip you dream of taking. If walking isn't your thing they also offer float trips on the Yellowstone. Give them a try. Call early.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

July 2013 was the second year in a row I've fish with Park's. July 2012 caught my largest brown trout.(see photo the shop wall) These guys know their stuff, friendly, knowledgeable and always go the extra mile to answer questions, concerns, whether in the shop or on the river.sure 8am on a busy day is not the time to walk in any fly shop asking if you can fish worms or maggots. The head guide Walter has a wealth of experience, when Walter's tied his "purple haze cripple" on, did I believe it would catch anything?NO... shows what I know,each time I've lost count as to how many fish I've caught and released.

LongsforCutts, Owner at Parks' Fly Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Thanks for the review and we'll see you this summer!

Walter put the photo of your brown on our website. Go to the Guided Trips Page, then to the River Float Trips Page.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

They come recommended for a guide but after talking with them they seem to be very cocky & pushy about what they are selling. This may have been because we are not veteran fly fishermen. We did not book with them because they wanted to make sure that you had a perfect cast before they would take you to anything but minnow water.

2  Thank rjr88
LongsforCutts, Owner at Parks' Fly Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

We are sorry you found our attitude problematic. We do, however, stand by our suggestions as to where to take clients. Yellowstone Park is a great place to learn how to fly fish, but the area's larger and/or spookier fish are unkind to beginners, so for a first fly fishing trip we always suggest going for small, aggressive fish instead of the big ones that see lots of pressure from experienced anglers. This gives you a lot of chances to learn how to recognize strikes, play fish, etc., and gives you a much better foundation for when you go for bigger fish next time. Other outfitters in the area offer similar advice.

You certainly don't need to have a perfect cast to go for larger fish and we apologize if this is the impression we gave, but some experience is necessary. Information on what to expect and what kind of experience is recommended for each type of trip we offer can be found in the Guided Trip FAQ section of our website.

Incidentally, around 25% of our guiding business comes from beginners, around 90% of whom we take to smaller streams for lots of smaller fish.