“Average Tourist Area Room”

Best Western By Mammoth Hot Springs
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Gardiner
Concord, CA
“Average Tourist Area Room”
Reviewed 26 July 2009

This was a typical tourist area motel, well worn, fairly clean, not that comfortable, and way overpriced for what you get. With the worst pillows I have ever slept on, you know the kind that props your head up all night at a 45* angle. But there's not much compitition in this small town so...

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
NY
Reviewed 21 July 2009

There are pros and cons. I think it's probably the best place in town to stay, there are no real big name nice places there, as the town is truly only active for about 4 months, so whoever is there already (in terms of big name places), is there.I don't like outdoor doorways, as I hate bugs in my room, and this is a problem for anyplace like that.I wasn't aware that the room I chose was not in the main building, and I had just had a bad experience the night before with bugs , but the hotel was sold out, and I had to keep that room. The room itself has been remodeled, with new carpet, new paint, new furniture, it was a nice room. There were however bugs in the room, flying things, you couldn't help it, they were all over outside. What bothered me was that there were dead bugs in the tracks of the windows, housekeeping should vacuum them up. Also, when I was in the bathroom, I noticed they hadn't vacuumed the bathroom floor well, there were many hairs on the floor, and on closer inspection, there was something that looked like blood on the base of the toilet. That turned me off, as I realized the place looked nice, as it was modern and new looking, but housekeeping obviously doesn't clean very well. The other problem was my husband needed internet access for business, and it worked for all of an hour, before we lost all service. They claimed it was a lightning strike, I have no idea. There was some lightning, nothing so bad. So again to wrap it up, it is probably the best in the area, not a great place, but better than what else is in the area.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mittmott
WV
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Once I got there and checked in my room was not ready even after 4:00pm... Then when I could finally go to my room, I got there. Room was fairly clean. I had no wash clothes or hand towels. They left me 2 big towels and had to call them up(they did deliver some) there was long black hair all over the bathroom floor and shower.. Then we could not sleep because the room above was so loud and must have walked the floor til 2am...Called front desk, never helped. Next morning we asked to speak to the manager and low and behold she didnt come in till 8am, we had already left for the day. But we got her number tried calling at least 3 times, she was always busy. Never returned our call.....Thats CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR YOU..... STAY AT THE COMFORT INN ACROSS THE STREET.... No breakfast.... etc. for the price........

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank z01929m
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 24 June 2009

First off, we found Gardiner to be an excellant location to tour the northern portion of the Park (Lamar Valley, Mammoth Hot Springs, etc.). The 5 mile drive to Mammoth Hot Springs is scenic and provides ample wildlife viewing, including mountain goats, pronghorn, elk, deer, and bison.

Our family of four stayed two nights in a suite, which has two very comfortable queen beds (in separate rooms), a sofa sleeper, and full kitchen with dining table. The room was reasonably clean and very quite. Staff was helpful.

The motel has an onsite laundry facility - very convenient. However, plan to have your laundry done by 9:30 pm as they lock the door at that time, as posted (actually, they came by at 9:40 to lock the door). My two loads of laundry were in the dryers, so they let me back in to retrieve the dried clothes once the dryer cycles ended.

Our second floor suite was on the back side of the main building and the view out the windows was of the adjacent, apparently very low end, rental cabins. Why someone would have a spare tire leaning against the exterior of their rental cabin is beyond me. Not a big deal, as we did not spend much time in the room and kept the shades drawn while we were there.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ThingsToDoPlacesToGo
Gillette
Reviewed 24 June 2009

We spent my birthday weekend in Gardiner. Stayed at the Best Western Mammoth Hot Springs. Upgraded to a river view room based up reviews here. I figured I was worth it considering it was my birthday. Glad I did. The room was as discribed here, new linens, new carpet and with all the rain they have been getting the Yellowstone River was running fast and loud. Great sleeping background noise. The building the rooms are located in doesn't look like much but we had room 406 which is accessed by a walkway facing the river. Perfect. Not a balcony but enough room for benches so you can watch the river outside your room. Worth the extra cost. We also went white water rafting, ate at Helen's (based upon reviews here). Don't bother! Blah, expensive frozen food put in a frier. Also ate at Sawtooth Deli and wish we would have skipped Helen's and ate twice at Sawtooth. We had the buffalo burgers and they were good, moist and not a bad price. Last day in Gardiner we ate breakfast at Yellowstone Mine. The breakfast buffet was good and fairly priced. Of course we went through the park and saw lots of wildlife and babies. A perfect time to see Yellowstone at it's finest. Everything was so green and the crowds were low.

Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 2 June 2009

First, please note that most hotels in Gardiner say "Mammoth Hot Springs". They are in Gardiner, not in Mammoth Hot Springs which is within the park over a mountain pass from Gardiner. We had booked a first floor room on the river side since the motel does not have an elevator. None was available except for a suite, which the girl at the desk couldn't upgrade us to. She called the manager who said no after she found out that we were going to stay for 3 nights. She was hoping against hope that even in the off season she would sell it. The young receptionist was able to bring our bags up to the second floor for us. However, though we had a nice view of the river, the room was not very clean, the rate doesn't include breakfast and it is more expensive than the Comfort Inn directly across the street, which is $10 less per night and includes breakfast. We transferred after the first night. Best Western was readily agreeable to allow us to change 3 night reservation to a 1 night stay.

Two nights we had dinner at Mammoth Hot Springs hotel, which is reasonably priced, with good food and service. One night we ate at the restaurant attached to the Best Western as most other restaurants in Gardiner were not open in mid-May. My wife's meal was inedible & was sent back. She ended up just having salad and french fries and part of my dinner. Waitress deducted her order without being asked to.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BocaGators
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 21 May 2009

I went around and around trying to decide on a hotel for this stay and finally went with the Best Western Mammoth Hot Springs based on accommodations (2 Queens + private bath, free wifi, updated rooms), location (walking distance to meals, bars and easy access to the park entrance) and availability of a River View room.

I will say that the River View is worth it, for three reasons:
1. You will have a view of the Yellowstone River rather than a view of the motor inn next door. Which is nice for a number of reasons I'll let you come up with.
2. These rooms have been updated with Damask(esque) linens and more modern furnishings, so none of the polyester floral bedspread business you'll likely find in the other rooms on this property, and elsewhere in Gardiner, I imagine.
3. The rushing river noise at bedtime is especially relaxing and lovely.

The room itself (2 Queens) was adequate for us three gals for the weekend. The toi and shower are together in a closed bathroom, while the vanity is just outside - convenient for more than one person trying to get ready before a day at the park, etc.

The view from the room was incredible, see the photos. Unfortunately, there's not a balcony on the 2nd floor where we stayed, so we just opened the windows and enjoyed the breeze/view/rushing water noise from the lounge chairs in the room. I think if you stay on the first floor, you have more of a balcony, but I didn't go down there to check it out. I didn't see any chairs, so I'm not sure you're encouraged to, like, hang out in front of your room.

The bathroom was clean and tiny, with a full size shower over tub. Nothing much more to say than that.

They provided in-room coffee/tea/etc, but we didn't make use of it, and frankly could have used that space for other stuff, but whatever, no biggie.

The other room amenities were adequate. Cable TV was fine - no trouble there. But the wifi was a little spotty and when we called the front desk one morning because it was down, they said, "Uh. OK. I"ll, go, reset it or something." After which, they did exactly nothing. We were going into the park at that point anyway, so whatever. Just don't expect Tech Help from the front desk staff.

A nice amenity is the good sized fridge in the armoire. They don't prestuff it with useless and expensive snacks, so you're free to load it up with your daily rations and/or bottles of gin and wine. Just saying.

The location of this place was pretty decent and we did walk to breakfast/dinner/drinks every day. Of the places we visited, Tumbleweed Cafe and Bookstore was definitely the high point. We had breakfast (bagels, eggs, great coffee, teas) and lunch (amazing wraps and panini) there on multiple days and found it to be an excellent option - very fresh and homemade. I recommend the Hazel wrap - delish. The dude at the counter was very friendly and talked us through their little bookstore offerings, too. We sat outside and enjoyed the weather, lunch and free wifi on more than one occasion. Two thumbs up.

We went to Outlaw Pizza on our first night there. I wouldn't go back, mostly because it's just marginal pizza, but I didn't expect much from it to begin with. The waitress was very nice though, and they have Fat Tire on draught, which is excellent.

We did visit the Yellowstone Mine with attached Rusty Rail cocktail lounge, and while our dinner was fairly decent (steaks, baked potatoes, buffalo burgers, etc), the wait staff was pretty awful. They acted like they'd never seen a rush before and were, well, just rude. They pretty much just acted like we were bothering them with our pesky questions about, "May we have a table for three?" and other such ridiculousness, while they raced around clearly hating their lives. The woman behind the counter yelled at my friend when she offered her credit card because, "Hello, Missy, can't you see I'm counting out the drawer right now?! Give me a minute!" Awesome. The redeeming quality here was the lounge which, while definitely full of similar rude freaks, had a bar stocked with Bombay Sapphire and bar stools shaped like horse rear ends, which makes me happy. I think my cocktail was like, $4, too - which is not bad coming from CA.

We went to K Bar one night for their allegedly "amazing" pizza and enjoyed another marginal pie. Not that it was bad, necessarily, because when is pizza really *bad*, but nothing to get excited about. Fat Tire in the bottle here. Just so you know.

We tried the Town Cafe on our first day there, since the ever-popular Sawtooth Deli was perpetually closed, and actually found it to be a decent stop with good breakfast (no wobbly bacon or lead pancakes here) and fun wait staff. Menu's not half bad, so we went back again during our stay.

As for the "Hot Springs" part in the name, there, just pay that no mind. This is not any closer to Mammoth Hot Springs, or any hot springs, than any other hotel in Gardiner. It's just called that because the first major sight inside the park from this entrance (the North one, just to be clear) is Mammoth Hot Springs, a cool 5+/- miles away. The hot springs at Boiling River, however, are a bit closer, just after you enter the park.

If you're looking for hot springs and don't want to shimmy into the river but would rather dip in a spring-fed pool - you could try out Chico Hot Springs in Pray, MT - about a 45 minute drive from Gardiner. We shot up there one afternoon around 4pm or so, and found the poolside bar and soak in the pools to be a nice way to end the afternoon. A few margaritas go down real nice in a natural hot spring soak. The pools are open late (until 10, I want to say), so you can go after a long day at the park and just soak. Call ahead for dinner reservations, though, as they book fast. They have a locker room with showers onsite, if you want to freshen up. It was about $6.50pp for a day pass to soak in the pools. Nothing fancy, but we met some interesting folk.

As for Yellowstone itself, this hotel and town (Gardiner) provide a good jumping off point for entering the park and a decent place to land at the end of the day. Just remember to request a River View room so you don't end up with a skanky bedspread and a view of the motor lodge next door. OH! Almost forgot, if you want to stock your fridge with, uh, the necessaries, there's a little grocery store within walking distance that is pretty well stocked and carries a nice selection of liquor.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends