“Ok, just ok”

Econo Lodge Ponderosa
Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Great Falls
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel because we had been camping the last 2 nights, it was really hot and we really wanted to use an outdoor pool. The hotels we were looking at online all had indoor pools, but low and behold, we found one and this was it. I booked online and we decided to try our chances around noon to see if a room might be ready. The lady looked at me like I was crazy, so we went to a movie. Check in is 3 pm, we came back around 3:45 and tried to check in and I was told there was nothing ready for me. We are tired, hot and exhausted. I asked if we could use the pool until it is, she said yes. We parked, got our stuff to change and went to the pool where there is nowhere to change, so I go back to the lobby and ask if there is a bathroom and she tells me there isn't, but she was nice enough to let me us the staff one. When I come out from changing, she tells me our room actually is ready and that this guy had been told our room was his, but that it isn't so here are our keys. I wasn't asked for ID or the credit card I used to check in which was a little weird. We take our keys to our room, I open the door and there is a suitcase, and I can see snacks in the room, so we immediately turn around and leave. We go back to the front desk again where the guy from that room is standing because his keys no longer work. She upgrades us to a king room at least that IS ready, so we are finally able to get into our room. The pool was alright, other than the kid who was spitting all over and the drunken idiots giving Canada a bad name who want their dog to swim although the sign specifically states no pets even allowed on the deck. We don't REALLY mind because the dog is cute and pretty short haired but everything about it was so redneck which is not the hotels fault, but it would have been nice if people were checking once in a while. These people also let their ashtray blow into the pool without a second look, so when my husband and I saw some kids coming to swim (we were out at this time), we took it upon ourselves to use the skimmer to get the crap out of the pool. I'd never stay here again but it served it's purpose.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsay D

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights. The room was fine with a comfortable bed and decent A/C. Also nice to have underground parking (very cramped spaces, though).
The problem was with staff. The front desk people were both incompetent or rude. They didn't know which rooms were available or clean, even with our reservation. Neither could read their computer screens and mumbled that they didn't understand what they were seeing. When asked a question, they sometimes just walked away without answering. They often spoke to each other, complaining about themselves, while customers waited. We saw many customers waiting at the desk because their keys did not work or there were no lights working in their room or asking about breakfast.
Our room was not on any housekeeper's list so it was not cleaned. We finally just asked for more towels. The front desk didn't care when we told them about poor housekeeping.
The breakfast was slow, greasy and small portions. For example, a fruit plate was 2 slices of orange, chopped. My scrambled eggs were runny so I sent them back for more cooking. They returned with a gray hair from the cook's long hair or scraggly beard. Coffee was weak and a second cup was never offered. Hotel guests could not order from the main menu -- instead had 5 breakfast choices listed at $5 each.
The pool had nice chairs but the pool bladder was torn and was a tripping hazard.
We regularly stay at Choice hotels but this one should be removed from their list.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor. The elevator was slow but at least it worked. It was dirty and smelly so...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 161Johnson
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This motel is an older downtown motel with an underground parking garage. The room was spacious and comfortable and the service was good. The breakfast was served in their own restaurant with tickets issued to us. Menus items included choices of bacon or sausage and eggs to French toast and even fruit offerings. We enjoyed our stay

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Priceline landed us here en route from Glacier to MN. Parking ramp 6'3 clearance, had to park on street. Room better than expected. Downtown location interesting with bar basically connected to patio/pool area. Older, has character...!

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Fifteener
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is a great hotel to stay at in downtown Great Falls. I liked the retro look of the outside. Our room was spotless and very comfortable - the beds were so soft. You get a voucher that is good for a free breakfast from the hotel restaurant - I really appreciated that, as my pancake and bacon breakfast was delicious. The front staff were helpful and answered all our questions. I loved the outdoor swimming pool - especially the fact that it was heated! I will stay here again!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the pool have a pleasing view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2014

You can tell that this facility has been here awhile. Signs of wear all over - but still, public areas were kept clean as was our room - just in need of a complete over haul. Our king room was large - but the desk was tiny. There was a couch, but since there was room - a more comfortable chair would have been nice. Pool area was maintained. Breakfast is at the restaurant and you can choose off the lite menu for no charge - both my husband and I found something we liked and it was a nice change to be waited on. Here is the list of my hot button criteria below.

Hotel Evaluation Criteria

Lobby staff - very friendly and helpful
Carts available - weren't the newest - but they did their wobbly work
Elevator to upper levels - yes, but very small and dingy
Road noise - not really, but you could hear street noise of people when bars closed
Parking under facility - a beat creepy, but kept car out of elements

Room General
-Easily Accessible plug by bed (CPAP user) (only 1 wall plug on 1 side)
-Plug by desk (computer) - only 1 wall plug
-Bed Comfort - good
-Chairs/Couch - only couch (hide-abed), not very comfortable
-AC cycling noise - maintained temperature, no constant fan setting, some cycling noise

TV
# channels available - ok
Quality of reception - good for most, PBS very poor
Sleep timer - didn't notice

Refigerator/Freezer - had both, worked well
Microwave - yes
Coffee Maker - yes, single cupped

Internet
-Speed - good
-Ease of connection - fine
-Requires log on acceptance - yes, and came up several times during our stay

Bathroom
-counter space - nice double sink area with lots of space for "stuff"
-tub - run down, but usable
-shower (shelves, water pressure) - good, takes awhile for hot water (we were on 4th floor)
-overall size - very small
-outside sink available - yes

Breakfast - at restaurant, free when you order off lite menu - reasonable options including eggs and meat and fruit

Restaurant
-onsite (not open in evening)
-within walking distance (Bert and Ernies and Subway)

Fitness Center - none
Pool - could use some maintenance, but it looked clean and lots of people were using

Room Tip: I would not have been comfortable on street level. Our room overlooked the pool area and we did not...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gwen G
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

The staff was friendly & helpful!
The room was adequate! The air-conditioning was loud but did cool!
Our room was situated on the ally side of the building... Not good!!
There were people in & out of the outside door all night long! There were people putting things in the dumpster! There were people shouting all kinds of cars pulling up
& then leaving! There was loud music loud cars loud people!! Basically it was a terrible night!! Didn't get any sleep don't plan to eat breakfast so can't tell you about that!! Its been a long night leaving this God forsaken place at first light!! Very unhappy!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends