“Not for families or fussbudgets, but a cool place”
Review of O'Haire Motor Inn

O'Haire Motor Inn
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Great Falls
Austin, TX
“Not for families or fussbudgets, but a cool place”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I was hesitant about OHMC, in spite of friend's assurance who stays there regularly. His tolerance for smokiness and old carpet exceed mine, but we did want to imbibe at Sip n Dip and not drive, so I decided we'd try one night, and move second night if need be. The OH grew on me and we stayed both nights. The folks aim to please and front desk was very helpful. The labyrinth of musty, old carpeted hallways, with weirdly stenciled doors from the confusing bi-level parking, doesn't create a great first impression. Frankly, they are a eyesore (and is there such a thing as a nose-sore?) Our third floor end room---#313, King bed w/ fridge, etc---was pleasant enough, though, with nice light, clean and well appointed, though some corners of it did, at times, smell a little bit smoky or stale (but I'm super sensitive to off smells--my husb thought it was 100% fine). The carpet was notably clean and new. The sheets weren't scratchy and the bedding was modern and fresh. The bathroom was sparkling clean, and we liked the vintage green and yellow tile. Great cable TV, wireless did not work in our room but the ethernet cord did. For the price (about $79/nt), we got two nights' fantastic sleep, very quiet room. Our friend on second floor did not fare as well one night, when a Sip-fueled lovers quarrel erupted in the wee hours. Not for families, as the Sip n Dip bar is at the heart of the place. I'd stay there again, and can recommend #313 if you can roll with the spirit of the place.

Room Tip: Away from the Sip n Dip and not facing the main street. King w/fridge #313 was nice.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Scootered from Denver to Calgary and stayed at the O'Haire Motor Inn on the way - great find! Had a bike washing station in the garage (got the bugs off the scoots), fun Sip n Dip lounge with excellent food (no mermaids on Sunday :( though April made the evening fun... Rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Barb V
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Rode our scooters from Denver, CO to Calgary CA. The O'Haire Motor Inn was one of our stops along the way. They had a wash station in the parking garage where we removed the bugs and grime before enjoying a very nice meal in the Sip and Dip Lounge. April took very good care of us and recommend some nice meal selections. Started the next day out with a big breakfast at the O'Haire. We were there on a Sunday so we did not get to observe and enjoy the mermaids...we were so disappointed but had a great time at the Sip and Dip. Motorcyclists, Scooterists will find this place very welcoming.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kim E
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Its been 35 years since I stayed here with my parents. This time I still had my parents but now I brouht my wife and son. We've stayed at the mid-town and the Greystone all within 2 blocks of Ohare. Ohare has a pool and the mermaids, the rooms are also very clean, the beds were more comfortable that the other hotels I mentioned. Great place and our new favorite.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Found this place reading reviews like you are. I love a divey motel, and while this place is that to a certain degree, it's rooms are completely descent, and the bar is a trip with good, cheap drinks. We ate from the restaurant menu, and the food was excellent! Will stay here every time I'm in Great Falls.

• Stayed July 2013
Medicine Hat
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This is not my first time staying at this Hotel. Arrived late with no reservation but the lady at the front desk treated me as though I had booked the complete hotel.The parking is excellent you have a choice of the main level which is completely covered or the second floor which has a partial cover.There is also a bike wash station complete with buckets rags all kinds soap and cleaner. The rooms are fresh and inviting. Over all a great place to stay and inexpensive.

Room Tip: If you are in doubt ask to see the room before you decide if you want to stay or not.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Pat D
Butte, Montana
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Stayed at the O-Haire Motor Inn mostly because it was the only place in Great Falls available under $150 the weekend we were in town. For Saturday & Sunday the rooms were less than $100 per night. I have to say I was a little nervous because I knew the motel had been around for a good long while. I have to say that the bathrooms were some of the cleanest I have ever seen in ANY price range. Not a speck of grime, mold or mildew - everything was sparkling clean. It was amazing. The room was also very, very clean and comfortable. The AC worked just fine and covered any noise from the street. I would recommend this motel to anyone if they were looking for an affordable, clean, comfortable place to stay. The neighborhood is a little sketchy, but since parking is in the garage or up on top, it wasn't much of a concern.

If you go, you MUST stop in at the bar and stay until Pat has played a few songs for you. I can't even begin to explain the experience of watching mermaids, listening to Pat play the organ and having a drink. He style is a mix of a day at the ballpark, a spin through a Polka Festival and a cocktail at an AARP Convention.

Also, breakfast at the attached restaurant isn't bad at all.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple