All reviewsextensive renovationsdowntown corethe king size bedcoffee makerwould stay againfireplacesinkearplugsfridgepillowsdeskremodelingclerktubmt
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed here one night on route. The renovations did not help and the rooms were being decorated in a Gothic style. There was not tea/coffee facility in the rooms or available elsewhere. There was some noise overnight and the police had to remove drunks in the street alongside the hotel. Rooms were clean and tidy more than adequate for one nights stay. Not impressed with the dog in reception but the lady was helpful giving us information on where to go in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I was looking for a cheap room for a quick one night stay in Great Falls and I got what I was looking for... for the most part.

The motel is in the historic downtown section of Great Falls and is an easy drive from the i15 interstate. It's right close to Wal-mart and other stores just across the river. The exterior is something to be desired but renovations are expected to begin in the coming months and will be a nice change for sure. Unfortunately though the new renovations will have to compete with the large dilapidated abandoned building just two doors down.

When you enter the lobby you'll find a nice surprise, it looks great compared to the outside. The clerk was very friendly and showed me various room options by taking me on a tour. Extensive renovations are still ongoing inside and it shows for sure. The carpets need to be replaced, a door to the outside on the top floor was missing and touch up on various other things are still underway--not a problem though, that's to be expected for a place undergoing a major overhaul.

The single queen-sized bed room I stayed it was gorgeous... upon first inspection. The room really was great. It's completely modern with great floors, a fascinating large sink, plenty of mirrors and great space. All the furniture and fixtures are modern and new. Honestly, it looks like a studio apartment more than a hotel room for $50 a night! The room came with a good sized fridge, great lighting and as a bonus had a wall-mounted electric fireplace with back lighting! I was quite happy with it.

Now that being said there are a few things to consider:
I was told that my room was fully renovated, but I suspect there's still some work to be done. There was no framing around the A/C and so you could see all the duct tape and insulation and it made the room very noisy since all the outside traffic and noise could be heard very clearly. In addition there were some areas that still needed painting and the bathroom door was rather unpleasant. It's a minor thing but it was covered in water stains, dirt and what I think was a smear of blood or red paint.

The plumbing is very noisy in the building. This is a historical building that is quite old so you can't expect it to be completely silent but whenever one of my neighbours turned on the tap it made a terribly loud noise in the bathroom that would make it impossible to sleep. This was easily remedied by closing the bathroom door though.

The A/C is very noisy when turned on and as I mentioned lets a lot of noise in the from the outside. I could hear a group of drunks outside at 12 a.m. clear as a bell even though all the windows were closed. In addition, at 7:30 a.m. I was woken by a pigeon sitting on the A/C who was cooing loud enough to wake me. Although the walls are made of stone and the doors are solid steel you could hear your neighbors very clearly, so it wasn't a quiet stay or a quiet sleep.

Of note, the room wasn't exactly squeaky clean. There was quite a few strands of hair in the bathtub and on the towels. One of the towels in my room was also stained black. There was dust in some places and the floor needed to be swept.

All-in-all for a single night stay it did the job but I wouldn't stay more than one night in a row due to the above. As a side note, you can't make long-distance calls but you get a cordless phone.

One more thing - At 3:30 am. I received three phone calls in a row. The first two calls I accidentally hung up because I couldn't see what button to push. The third call I answered and a woman on the other end send "What's that noise?" and hung up. I then unplugged the phone from the wall and went back to sleep. I'm not sure if it was a prank call or a wrong number--odd to say the least.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I realized when we drove into Great Falls that I might have made a bit of an error in the location that I chose for our hotel, although it was within walking distance to the C.M. Russell Museum that we had come to see. It came back to me that twenty odd years ago being right downtown in the city was a bit of a seedy proposition. Well, it turns out that slowly, but surely, the downtown area’s older architecturally stunning buildings are being refurbished and it is defiantly turning the corner. The Greystone Inn where I booked our rooms is not prepossessing from the exterior, although the sign says that exterior renovations are coming, but once inside I realized that we had really landed on our feet. It has been completely redone and the rooms are wonderful. Very upscale linens, all tile and laminate floors (thank God – I hate hotel carpet) and redone baths – although harvest gold fixtures still. Retro I guess. We were very comfortable and around everything we wanted to see. The clerk was very helpful and friendly. While downtown is still evolving, as it were, the hotel is CCTV-camera-ed within an inch of its life, so security is not a concern. For a very reasonable $60 per night, we’d stay again in a minute.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ljrobertson
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed at the hotel during July 2013 and on arrival were apprehensive! The exterior is very drab and uninviting, as is the lobby and reception area (undoubtedly due to a combination of the downtown location and ongoing renovations).

That said, once greeted by the hostess, the slightly eccentric "Davidena" and her small dog (both of whom were very warm and friendly), we were immediately upgraded from a queen to a king room, which we found to be clean and tidy and excellent value, considering the cheap price paid for the overnight stay in the first place.

The exterior lets the hotel down and I think that many potential patrons passing by may move on, based on what they see from the outside (we had booked via internet in advance) but the exterior bears no resemblance to the interior rooms (or at least the one where we stayed!) and although it must be said that the interior décor is somewhat "Gothic" in appearance and will not be to everyone's taste, it is perfectly clean, tidy and adequate as a stopover on a road trip or similar and is unquestionably great value!

Davidena was able to recommend an eating/drinking venue in downtown Great Falls which turned out to be excellent and I don't think we would have found this without her guidance.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed here while just passing through. For 65 bucks a night I got a king room which had all the fixings. Nice bed, nice tv, really fast internet and the shower was out of this world in terms of water flow, I felt like I was showering under a magical rain forest waterfall.

Overall, this is up there on one of the best value hotels I have ever stayed in. great price, great rooms and friendly staff.

Room Tip: the hotel is in remodel at the moment. Get a room with finished renos.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo