“Absolutely loved it, but...”

The Resort at Paws Up
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Greenough
Chicago
“Absolutely loved it, but...”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Let me start as many of the 4 star reviews have - we had a fantastic time at Paws Up. We travelled with another family (4 kids and 4 adults) and stayed at River Camp. Loved the tents, loved the beds (despite at least one other review here), couldn't beat the view, the access to the river for "swimming", skipping rocks and fishing, etc. The dining pavilion here is smaller than the rest, so you are right there with the other guests at the camp, but it is worth the setting. I do not think we would have enjoyed the trip nearly as much if we were staying at Creekside, Moonlight or one of the houses. The food was great. Not 5 star gourmet, but really yummy (and plentiful), especially in the outdoor setting. The bar-b-que at the rodeo was some of the best we have ever had. We loved pretty much all of our activities - rafting (Jesse our guide was great), fishing with Sanford, a staged, but fun nonetheless, cattle drive, shooting clays for the whole family (twice we liked it so much), guided archery for the kids, and an afternoon at the lakehouse for casual, trashy fun. We also liked walking (really more of a walk than a hike) and biking the trails on the property. Our kids were ages 11 - 14 and could easily go off on their own to play on the Grizzlyman Trail, hike or simply run around.

So, what is the but. There are so many. First, many on staff could have been better trained. Examples include the woman working the desk at the wilderness outpost who informed me we would be back from rafting at Noon. We were back at 3. It is an hour plus drive each way. How did she not know that? The first cache was missing on the geocache course. After looking around for 20 minutes we went back to ask about it. The answer was something to the effect of "oh yeah, other people haven't been able to find it either. It must be gone." This was from the guy who had just given us the GPS and sent us on our way. Perhaps he could have mentioned it in the first instance (see also the upkeep comment below). It was often very hard to get a clear, straight answer out of folks. Everything was a bit vague until you got off by yourselves with the guides who would tell you the real scoop. It was almost as though those on property were looking over their shoulder and were afraid to answer a question outright. We wanted to know how we could get a beer at our camp. You would have thought we were the first to every ask such a question. Second, the upkeep on parts of the property. This is Montana, so everything was a bit rougher around the edges than a place like Blackberry Farm. OK, a lot rougher around the edges. Small things just weren't taken care of. The ping pong paddles in the rec barn were all broken, there was an ATV stranded by our camp that had supposedly been there for over a year, every robe had broken belt loops. None of these are a big deal, just be aware that everything isn't perfect despite the price. That being said, we hit our limit when out on a hike on one of the farther flung trails. It literally disappeared. Clearly no one had taken a look at it in a season or two. No signs, no path. Same story with the mountain bikes you could grab for a self-guided ride. Regular maintenance was clearly not in the program. Supposedly the bikes on the guided tours were much better, but we were paying enough and independent enough to want to ride on our own.

Finally, the only issue that threatened to really negatively impact our time at Paws Up - the tipping policy, or lack thereof. We have been to other places with hefty price tags and dedicated staff. At each the tipping policy was very clear. At some it was a clear no tipping policy and staff would refuse a tip if you tried to give it. At others, it was a clear tipping encouraged policy. At the latter types of places we have had folks regularly with us so that it was clear who to tip and you could do it at the end. Paws Up is neither, nor. There is a 20% resort fee and the website talks about that and then says any additional tips are at the discretion of the guest. Apparently that means you should also tip. $$$$. Even more annoying however, is that the people with whom you interact change constantly and you never know when you are going to see someone again. Do you tip every time you leave camp because your butler might not be there when you return? What about the waiters, every ride you take, etc.? You would literally have to have your wallet out at every turn if you were to tip regularly. Yet, by the end we figured out tips were pretty much expected and then felt guilty about those we missed at the beginning. They absolutely need to fix this. It almost erased the magic of the moon over the river and the s'mores.

We loved it, but...

Room Tip: Stay at River Camp, Pinnacle or Cliffside. No matter which one you choose, make sure you get a tent...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank CML548
GeoffreyCampbell01, Manager at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your review and candid feedback. While I am glad that you absolutely loved your stay with us, I am very sorry about the issues that took away from your experience. We have already begun to address each issue individually to ensure that your concerns are an isolated incident. Training is extremely important to us. We should have better anticipated your needs by providing clear and accurate information. This involves everything from answering questions at our Wilderness Outpost to providing quick and efficient service at your camp.

Regardless of the rustic and rugged atmosphere, cleanliness and proper working order of all of our amenities is our expectation as well. We have addressed your issues in the rec center as well as physically inspected robes for broken loops. We think this is a very big deal and take it quite seriously. I personally enjoy hiking on our trails and find that most are well marked. I have noticed that a few trails have become overgrown and difficult to find, even with the trail markers. We are addressing those issues as well.

In regards to our mountain bikes, they are in high demand and we are actively inspecting each bike to ensure they are up to our expectations. I apologize that they were not well maintained. The ATV in question is actually our new 4-seater ATV that’s available to guests to demo. We apologize we didn’t make this more clear. We will communicate with our staff to ensure they are pointing this out in the presence of guests.

I was very concerned to hear your feedback about our tipping policy. The resort provides for gratuities for staff members in their compensation; however, guests can provide for additional tips above and beyond what the staff is already receiving if they believe the service merits such a reward. Every member of our staff is appreciated for their hard work to make this place special. We apologize for any confusion and will improve and clarify our communications on the subject.

I certainly hope that we have the opportunity to restore your confidence in Paws Up. On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for staying with us and again, our apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I live in Manhattan and deal with the everyday hustle and bustle ....
I NEEDED THIS PLACE....
When you arrive Montana - you feel like you.ve stepped back in time, back to the time
of Lewis and Clark. You have arrived....The last, best place -

The air is so crisp and clean you can almost taste it -
The scenery is amazing and you just know you.re in for something different .
The ride to the resort was a beautiful ride along a path cut thru the trees and
along the Blackfoot River. Just picture perfect.
Then you arrive PAWS UP ....."WHAT CAN I SAY"? - I have been in the travel industry for
35 years and have stayed at my fair share of DELUXE resorts --
PAWS UP beats them all. set on 37,000 acres , there is something here for everyone.
We stayed in a beautiful Wilderness Estate home and I must say "We felt like we were home".
I inquired about 'squatters rights' because i knew i didnt want to leave.....
The home is decorated with a western flare, but , very sublte , very classy and just
beautiful little touches that make you realize how much thought went into decorating these homes.

The views from our massive porch were just impressive. You could see horses and cattle in the distance and I couldnt imagine I was acutally here to do a 'real life cattle drive"
BY FAR the best experience I ever had in my life . You would have thought i.d be a real CITY SLICKER. For 4 days --- i WAS A COWGIRL !!!

The food was TOP NOTCH -- the service was OVER THE TOP AMAZING, and
there are activites for every skill set, every age group -- THERE IS SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE AT PAWS UP.

I spent 4 days here - and I was so relaxed and rejuvenated -- I.m already planning my return
Dont put this place on your "maybe someday" -- or "bucket list"
BOOK THIS PLACE NOW - PLAN ON GOING TO PAWS UP NOW -
trust me - It will be the best trip you every take --
I.m back one month already - and - I.m still on a MONTANA HIGH --

HEIDI B.....Manhattan , New York

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank HEIDIPRO2014
GeoffreyCampbell01, Manager at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you so much for the amazing review, Heidi! If anyone is at a loss for words to describe "The Last Best Place," you nailed it! It sounds like you took some of that cowgirl magic with you back to Manhattan. Once a cowgirl; always a cowgirl. Thanks again for staying with us. I look forward to your next visit at Paws Up!
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Our family vacation to Paws Up has easily secured the position of "best ever". I planned the trip and had very high expectations, but didn't share much information with my husband and sons (ages 8 & 11) because all too often, resorts over promise and under deliver. This was a rare instance where the experience totally eclipsed my expectations. We loved the laid-back vibe and understated elegance -- paired with exquisite attention to detail -- at Paws Up.

Afterward, my son told someone that the kids menu was awesome, and that -- no offense -- but Paws Up was even better at grilling steak than mom and dad. I had to explain that the "steak" in question was filet mignon, and that I'd never actually served it to the kids at home. Rest assured that the adult menu was equally impressive to my husband and me.

From the food, to the rafting, to kids corps, to the Grizzlyman Trail and watching World Cup at Tank -- we loved it all. Can't wait to return as soon as schedules permit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MovingKindOfGirl
General M, Manager at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for the feedback! I am glad we exceeded your expectations. I agree that our kids' menu would make most steak houses envious! It sounds like everyone got to do it all, including some World Cup time as well. We can't wait to see you again soon as well! Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Jenks, Oklahoma
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Let me start with the spa treatment in the tent;
I ask Laura to just put me to sleep and she did ( and I believe she made the thunderstorm happen too , loved the sound of the rain on the tent!)! I miss it already! We had 5 houses in the wilderness estates, they were all decorated beautifully . Good was out of this World amazing! My fav was the Chuck wagon dinner. Fishing was fabulous and scenery was beautiful! There was so much more I haven't mentioned because there is not enough space! Just want to say thank you so much to EVERY STAFF PERSON! Taylor you are an amazing Conciearge !

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Oceanhead
Thank you for your glowing review! We all enjoyed getting to know you and your family during your stay. I look forward to sharing your feedback with the team. Laura and Taylor are both amazing and are thrilled that you had a great time. I hope to see you again in the near future!
Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This is one of the most unique, beautiful, luxurious, rustic, fun, relaxing, delicious, and special places I have ever been. I am a huge fan of luxury in unexpected ways and Paws Up is the pinnacle of this style. We sleep peacefully in tents by the most beautiful river but our tents are furnished luxuriously and have gorgeous bathrooms attached. We eat s'mores by the bonfire that our camp butler prepares. We drive cattle for the afternoon and then get massages in tents overlooking a plain. We eat ourselves silly on western fare expertly prepared. And our eyes are endlessly filled with some of the most beautiful country we have ever seen.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Chele32789
GeoffreyCampbell01, Manager at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you so much for your review! We thrive on wowing our guests in unexpected ways! I agree that the pairing of rustic charm and unpretentious luxury makes us unique and proud. I am happy to share your feedback with our staff. We love what we do and are glad we had the opportunity to share this wonderful treasure with you! We hope to see you again soon!
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We are a family of 5 (3 children - all under 10 years of age) who are used to paying for premium vacations around the world but Paws Up just didn't quite stack up to the prices they charge. The bill for our 1 week at Paws Up was over $25,000 and of that approximately $8000 was for the activities. If this was 5 star service across the board, perhaps the price would be justified but some things were so abysmal they warrant mentioning. There was also some terrific positives but they unfortunately were not enough to outweigh the price tag with the negatives.

The Cons
- The absolute worst maid service we've experienced. We stayed in one of the tents. Not once during our 1 week stay except when we complained at the end did the maids bother to sweep the floor. As a result the inside entrance to our tent looked like the forest ground by the end. Worse of all, however, was that my husband hurt his arm and about 2 days in, it bled on his pillow (quite profusely). Instead of changing the sheets, the maids simply flipped the pillow over so we couldn't see it when we went to sleep. They did this 3 NIGHTS IN A ROW! The first night we thought they just didn't see it and the second and third night we were just too exhausted by the time we went to sleep to go back out to the butler to say anything. We just couldn't believe that the maids were this bad. We finally complained and they changed the sheets. I can only imagine what our kids sheets looked like after getting dusty and dirty every day. We don't expect nor want daily sheet changes but when you are spending even $100 / night (much less the more than $1000 per person per night we were spending), you minimally expect stained sheets will be changed and floors will be swept. Truly abysmal maid service.
- Dinner/Breakfast in camps -- some were great, others not great. They switch out the chefs routinely in the camp so on some days we were lucky (Dallas was a great chef!) and others not so lucky. One morning one of the not so good chef even managed to undercook French Toast so not even our 5 year old son would eat it (and he will eat pretty much anything he can put syrup on ).
- Lunch at the main camp area - you have only 1 option for lunch and while it was good on day 1 after 7 days of the same basic menu, all of us were bored to tears and even the non-salad lovers were asking for a salad to avoid yet another hamburger or BLT.
- the "Free" amenities. The whole place is geared up to upsell the activities which is fine BUT be prepared to spend another 25-30% over the cost of your room for these activities because the "included" activities are horrible. The bikes in our camp were so horrendous they were unusable (of course, you could book a bike activity where they charge you $85 each - same price for a 5 year old as a 50 year old - to get slightly better bikes and a guide). The 'free' archery consisted of really old bows and a torn-up old target that looked like they dragged it out of a ditch somewhere (compared to the expensive archery activity that we also did that had targets that were still intact). One of the guides on one of our trips accidently let it slip that he would get in trouble if he did not encourage us booking paid activities.

The PROS
- The guides (folks who ran the activities) were in general wonderful. Some true standouts were the folks at the Clay Shooting Range, the Archery guide, and our white water rafting guide. Additionally, the folks at the children's club were also terrific.
- The camp site was lovely and the tents were nice. If they had been cleaned properly, we would have not been compelled to write this review.
- The food on some nights was good (all dependent on chef though). However, the portions are really excessive and so much food was thrown away each night you really felt horrible about the waste.
- Location is very nice.

All in all, I would have rated this a 4 star IF the price was 1/3rd the amount but for the price you expect a lot more than Paws Up delivered.

Room Tip: INSIST on proper maid service from day 1. Otherwise, no matter what room you book, you will be disa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank deirdre b
Michael C, General Manager at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thanks so very much for sharing your thoughts on your recent trip to Paws Up.

I certainly understand your concern regarding our housekeeping function and of course you have every right to be disappointed. I have already discussed the situation with our staff and initiated a re-training to insure that we are more aware of these defeciencies.

On a more positive note, I was pleased to read of your delight with our activities guides, the food and the campsite itself. There are few things that are nicer than sitting next to the river and enjoying breakfast or dinner with the family. I know as well that our guides and entire staff are very proud of Paws Up and their state and have a wonderful time sharing that with our guests.

Please be assured that we appreciate hearing from you and all comments are used to re-enforce what we do well as well as how we can improve. I sincerely hope you will consider Paws Up for your next western adventure!
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My family stayed at The Resort at Paws Up last week and boy were we pleasantly surprised. Oh we knew we had some fun activities planned but none of us had any really knowledge of the facility. We were a family of 8 and stayed in the Morris Ranch House. From the outside, it was a basic house but the inside had all the modern comforts you need. The first thing we noticed was how nice the staff was. All of them from the drivers, to the guides to the dining room staff, to the Chef and finally to all the managers. A shout out to Paul who made our evenings more like a family dinner than going to a restaurant! Kelly, Shelby, Amy, Eva and Sarah made sure all our meals were delightful. And don't forget to let Smokey Mike serve you up some of the best grilled lunches ever! The activity staff at the Wilderness Outpost were always greating you with a smile and all of the guides were so much fun to be with, they made my family of girls feel really welcomed and right at home. The Morris Ranch House was really nice and the convenience of being right there on the main lodge property was a definite plus but next time we'd like to try the Tent camps. "Tent" is a loose term because they are really glamorous with heated floors and marble countertops! So, Paws Up is first class from the activities, to the accommodations, to the staff and the scenery. It was a really fun family vacation! Thank you one and all!

Room Tip: Try the "glamping" camps on the river...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TRM59
Michael C, General Manager at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
What a pleasure to receive your wonderful critique on your recent visit to Paws Up. I am so pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations and that every facet of your visit- from accomodations, to activities, to our food and beverage operation was a delight to you and your family.

The Resort at Paws Up is the place where family memories are made and clearly it appears you have a lot of wonderful memories for years to come.

We look forward to having you return often, and again, thanks for your very kind comments.

Been to The Resort at Paws Up? Share your experiences!