“So good I felt guilty.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Greenough
Mountain View, California
“So good I felt guilty.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed at the Creekside Camp in July with our two little children. It was a lot to spend on a vacation, but it was worth every penny and I feel that we got great value for what we paid. I think that Paws Up is a place for people who put a high premium on natural beauty and landscapes, design and decor, and on memorable experiences. It would have never been possible for me on my own to arrange all the amazing things our family did in five days... it would have required months of research and a much longer trip. Paws Up specializes in the art of impossible logistics, and to me that's really worth something.

I'm sure the Luxury Homes are spectacular, but for us, the camp was unbeatable. The setting was drop-dead dreamy, with a little creek running next to the dining pavilion. Our tent wanted for nothing. It appears just as it does in the photos. There were a few spiders in the bathroom, but these are indeed real tents. If you're not OK getting up close with nature, the Timber Homes may be a better choice.

The best part of the camping experience is the convivial atmosphere that's created in the dining pavilion. We got to know most of the other families staying in the camp and we enjoyed dining with them. Our kids roasted marshmallows for dessert and older kids told ghost stories. It was a great way to unplug.

The camp chef (Dallas Austin) and the butlers (James + David) provided warm and personalized service such that I cannot find a single thing to critique. The dining experience they manage to stage produce out in the middle of nowhere is nothing short of magic. If you've ever been on a high-end cruise, it's that same level of attentiveness and accommodation (plus more food than you could hope to consume). We actually appreciated the BYOB policy at the creek, which saved us a little money. If you do enjoy wine or beer w/ dinner, be sure to stock up. They make it very easy for you to store your provisions in the kitchen. Overall, the Creekside dining experience was so unique and wonderful, we wound up canceling our reservation at Pomp because we didn't want to miss a night with our new friends at camp.

The activities are Paws Up big strength and should be the main reason for your trip. While some have commented that they are expensive, I think they are well-priced for the experience. I wound up getting a one-on-one archery lesson with a USMC veteran who qualified as an expert marksman. I even got to take a selfie with the bear target I shot. That's something you can talk about back at the office and was worth way more than the $114 it cost. I never knew I'd love riding ATVs. I'm ready now to take up mountain biking. I found out my daughter looks right at home on a horse! Such self-discovery is what a vacation should be about.

Cowboy Steve is one of the gems of Paws Up. We had the chance to take a carriage ride with his team, Pete and Repeat. We met him again later at the chuckwagon dinner (where our daughter got to ride with him in front, this time with Lightning and Strike). He regaled us with his cowboy poetry. The food was unforgettable. I'll probably never have ribs and cornbread that good again.

Kudos to the staff for conjuring up a box of baby wipes for us. We ran out upon our arrival. Stuff like that makes a huge impression. Other nice touches were Meredith squeezing in pony rides for our kids (even though they're free), James tracking us down to let us know we left a bag upon check out. Loved the staff and their western wear. My daughter and son were awestruck by the cowboys and cowgirls.

THanks Paws Up! Hope to see you again soon.

Room Tip: Creekside camp is great for kids. Pinnacles and Cliffside appear to be more for couples.
1 Thank Passeport
GeoffreyCampbell01, Manager at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Thank you for the detailed review! It was absolutely wonderful to read and re-read. I am so glad we delivered the perfect experience at Creekside Camp. It is hard to describe the convivial experience you enjoyed in pictures. Words hardly describe the scene of kids roasting marshmallows and the parents too becoming great friends over the course of a few days. I am so happy to share your feedback with Dalla, Austin, James, David, Cowboy Steve (yes, he is the real deal!), Meredith, James and the rest of the team. I am glad your daughter and son were awestruck by the cowboys and cowgirls. Like the rest of the experience, we offer real, authentic Montana.

Thank you for discussing the activities. Many guests agree it should be the main reason for their trip. We pride ourselves in being the world leader in experiential travel. Also, for many of our guests, it truly is life changing and enhancing. You DO get to learn from world class sports fishing experts. As you mentioned, you got a one-on-one with an expert marksman. Not only do you get to spend time with them, but they teach you how to hit that bear target!

I am so glad you had the time of your life. We cannot wait to see you and your family again. It was a great joy for us to have you stay with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

This place is surreal. We stayed at River Camp and were very impressed by the quality of the tents and how the camp is so well kept. The food was 95% great. Our camp had a private beach, we liked to fish right of our tent lay on our hammock and just enjoyed the scenery .
We also enjoy the fireplace every night.The weather is dreamy. Warm during the day and cool at night

Things we loved.
The food was amazing. Breakfast: Delicious, fluffy blubbery pancakes with huckleberry syrup,; sausages and omelets. We also tried the donuts - gourmet donuts- sensational.

Lunch: We frequent the main lodge restaurant "Pomp". They had a BBQ station outside. We tried the burgers and delicious spicy hot dogs (my favorite ever). Every lunch item was delicious and very gourmet and the local beers were also very good.
We celebrated my B-Day at "Pomp"; The food was to die for. I ordered the fillet mignon which was cooked to perfection.

Activities:
Fly Fishing : It was out first time and we had a blast. We got to be on a private tour which we enjoyed a lot. The scenery was surreal and we bought 6 trouts.
Horseback riding
We arranged for a 2 hour private excursions and was phenomenal. We had time to take pictures and enjoy it.
Archery: It was fun but I would have prefer that it would have been private.
Clay shooting was a lot of fun. We had a chance to shoot a lot.

Store: We bough the silverware which was beautiful and they sell all kind of beautiful thinghs there. They are also very friendly

Cons: they are understaffed

We will be back one day!

Room Tip: If you are staying on the tents choose River Camp.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so glad you found River Camp "surreal." I am glad you enjoyed the organic donuts. The bacon maple is my personal favorite. The jalapeno and cheese hot dogs are quite popular too. I am glad your birthday exceeded your expectations. I am so glad you had a successful fly fishing trip (with bragging rights to boot!) I am also happy to see that you enjoyed your other activities. We are pleased that you enjoyed PUGS (Paws Up General Store) too. I am sorry you felt we were understaffed. Any additional feedback about our staffing is welcomed. I want to ensure that we are providing the best possible service in all areas of our resort. I am excited to hear you will be back one day. Please give us a call soon to plan your next Glamping adventure!
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked a last minute trip to Paws Up for a quick summer getaway. I am a big fan of luxury and good service and am often disappointed. Paws Up was a complete delight and met or exceeded all of our expectations!! If you are looking for a place where luxury and service are done right with scenery that is breathtaking, this is your place!!

From tents that looked like they were decorated by Ralph Lauren with uber comfy beds and bathrooms with heated floors to the cutest camp pavilion with morning and evening fires and food that was first rate this place is awesome! Free range cows even meandered by during dinner! And best of all, no bugs!!!!!

All the guides and staff were super nice and as the ranch is 37,000 acres we found ourselves being shuttled even by the activities director or resort manager who like to get out and mingle with the guests to ensure their experiences are everything they'd hope they would be. There is almost a 1:1 ratio of staff to guest. The resort holds 250 guests at max capacity, so you really only see others at meals or activities or if you want to. No crowds here!!!

The activities are also amazing! The staff are very knowledgeable and super friendly! They just can't do enough to make your stay memorable and enjoyable.

In a world where true luxury retreats seem to be diminishing, Paws Up returns travelers to a truly delightful resort experience!!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carpediem425
Thank you for reviewing us! I am delighted that we met or exceeded all of your expectations! The Glamping Experience is truly unique and hard to describe in words or pictures. I am often reminded how special this place is when all I can hear early in the morning is the sounds of nature. The free range cows are a hoot! They also accompany our guests on trail walks, horseback rides, ATV trips and by your camp pavilion. Paul and I both love to meet our guests and mingle. It was great catching up both in transit to activities and at the pavilion. Thank you for all of your kind feedback. We all love sharing this beautiful place with our guests. I hope your travels back home were safe and enjoyable. I cannot wait for you to travel west again and join us for your next luxury retreat!
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I are just 4 weeks away from a return visit to Paws.
We spent a fantastic few days at Pinnacle camp last year,this year we have booked 5 nights in a Meadow Home and have invited friends from L.A. to share the experiance.
Our visit last year was to celebrate a special birthday,knowing it was a special occasion Jill Myers our personnel cocierge left a card and gift in our tent,she also sorted out pictures taken by Trey our Wrangler to be sent to us,on our return to the U.K.
Mike our Butler at Pinnacle camp set up a special meal for us and was just simply fantastic.
Tira answered all our questions before we booked the stay and also helped me locate a special bottle of wine as a gift for a special employee.
We never experianced a delay in any of our activities and if we had we would have just chilled and enjoyed the view.
ALL the staff were fantastic right down to the guys who transported us around the site,and we never felt like they waited for a tip,we did leave tips for staff at the end of our stay,but in hind site we should have tipped the transport guys at the time as there were so many of them and we could not remember their names.
What I'm acyually trying to say folks is that this place and ALL the people who work there go above and beyond to make you feel special,and there is no price to be put on that.
Paws Up is not cheep but oh boy it's great,it is worth every mile traveled and every dollar spent it is truly "The Last Best Place"

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bronwen B
Thank you so much for the review! We are VERY excited about your return visit in the next three weeks. I am certain you will love the Meadow Home experience. You will recognize many friendly faces when you arrive. We have been excitedly planning and anticipating this trip for you and your friends from L.A. As you know, we are always available 24-7 to enhance your stay. Please feel free to reach out to me personally if there is anything else we can do to make your visit special. I look forward to seeing you soon. Thank you again for taking the time to submit a review!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

This was the highlight of our trip to the States. Paws Up is not cheap, and the activities are expensive too, but so worth it.

We had a fantastic log cabin with two separate rooms for us and our children, a sitting room and utility room - ideal for washing all our dusty clothes - washing powder provided.

We took a quad bike tour around the ranch, and saw a baby grizzly bear. We learnt to round cattle up like wranglers, amazing! We did a days white water rafting trip down the river, another family trial on horseback, and a trip up to the lake house, owned by the ranch for canoeing speed boating & waterskiing, amazing.

The food was absolutely delicious, and the portions not too big, a rarity in America!

The staff's attention to detail was second to none. Whilst we were there there was the yearly bullorama in the town of Missoula, they took is there so we could actually see cowboys being bonkers trying to ride bulls! Just brilliant.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Francesca O
GeoffreyCampbell01, Manager at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
It is a great honor to know that we were your favorite stay in America! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. Lucky you were to spot a baby grizzly. Those are truly special moments to remember. I am glad you loved our food. Our staff takes great pride in anticipating guest needs while spotting the details which make the difference. I am glad you enjoyed the cowboys "being bonkers trying to ride the bulls." They are amazing too! I cannot wait to see you again soon. Thank you for staying with us and have a safe trip back home to London!
Chagrin Falls
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We went to Paws Up on a family vacation. There were 10 of us and we stayed in three houses. One in the Wilderness Homes and two in the Meadow Homes. The homes were beautiful and well appointed with everything you need. I loved the fact that each of the homes came with a car. We signed up for many activities including the Cattle Drive, River rafting, Lake House, Paint Ball, rappelling and ATVs. I thought the activities were fun and managed well but I think the staff was a little thin on some of them. For instance we went rappelling and there was a guide at the top of the cliff, who was great, but no guide at the bottom. For first timers rappelling that was a little scary. Other staff members were super friendly, helpful, polite and did their best to provide top notch service. I would add that many of the activities involve some level of physical fitness and some common sense is necessary in anticipating what an individual guest is capable of. Whether with wranglers or guides, you can get hurt if you sign up for something you are not up to. Paws Up provides a real experience for its activities which I loved. However, I saw some others not using common sense and getting in over their heads. The ranch style food service is provided in a gorgeous setting and the food served is excellent. That being said, you can't be in a rush and if you are you will be a little disappointed. The quality of the food was great but the service could be slow. Overall this was an incredible vacation with amazing activities in a serene setting. I highly recommend this resort if you are adventurous and love the outdoors.

Room Tip: The Glamping Tents by the River were gorgeous. I would probably stay there next time for a differen...
1 Thank DebfromOhio
GeoffreyCampbell01, Manager at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I am pleased to hear you had a great stay with us! Thank you for your detailed feedback on activities. Although we are "soft" adventure, we have a wide range of levels of physical activity. Our guides are trained to anticipate the individual levels of our guests experience as that safety is always the first priority. I apologize that dining service was slow. We are always looking for ways to provide quick and efficient service for our guests. I am very happy that you found the food quality to be great. Thank you for the recommendation and we hope to see you again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

i have read all the past reviews and unfortunately all the previous constructive criticisms have been ignored,
Shame on management and owners. There is a huge turnover of staff, probably due to indifferent owners.
We are a three generation family staying in Morris Ranch House. It's terrific for our needs, Peaceful, bucolic views, remote. Delightful. Tent is a huge plus especially for the kids. Hot tub a special bonus for the end of the day relaxation routine. Chef Ben prepared an amazing and outstandingly delicious dinner on our lawn for a family celebration. Wonderful experience.

All the staff has been delightful and friendly. That having been said, they are poorly trained and uninformed.

Previous reviews have noted the poor housekeeping service, Management replied that they made note of it and would resolve the issue. Unfortunately that was just lip service and nothing has changed. Frankly that's an insult considering the prices charged,

We were never informed about Family Rates that included many options and is much more economical. Reservations people didn't know it was available Took a week to straighten that out.

We have consulted with 5 different concierge people before we got competent service.

We were told there was turndown service. An unnecessary amenity at a dude ranch. In 7 days they showed up 4 times, never took away used towels and had to be asked for fresh towels.

Skip turndown service and have housekeeping clean dusty floors

Most of equipment such as archery, kids camp needs up grading. Too shabby

Food is very well prepared and quite delicious, but service is unbearably slow from kitchen. At least 25 minutes for breakfast. And at least 2 1/2 hours for dinner chuck wagon dinner was great fun especially for young kids.

This place has so much potential. Until they get their act together, we won't be back or recommend it.

13 Thank LKJ9
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am terribly sorry that you encountered issues during your stay. I have shared your feedback with our reservations team in regards to Family Rates. While it did take a moment to straighten that out, I am glad we were able to accommodate your requests. I have also detailed your pre-arrival notes and have noticed there were quite a few itinerary change requests throughout the process. Although this process may have seemed tedious, I am certain our concierge team worked hard to ensure every detail was taken care of. They do ask many questions in the process to ensure there is a clear understanding of your expectations. I am sorry this process was time consuming, but please know they were trying their hardest to anticipate your needs and deliver flawless results. Perfection is always the desire for us. As you have noted, we on occasion fall short. We always try our best to correct the issue and deliver the "wow."

Please allow me to elaborate in regards to your housekeeping concerns. I am extremely sorry that housekeeping was inconsistent. I assure you that management did not merely pay "lip service" to prior issues. Training is a vital component to ensuring we are providing world class service. In this rigorous training, we emphasis the needs to respect our guests privacy and provide the right service at the right time. In situations where there are privacy signs, we absolutely respect the desire for privacy and make every attempt to work around that request. Turn down service is not an unnecessary amenity but rather an expectation of our guests. We enjoy every opportunity to provide service "touches" during your stay. It seems we had failed to communicate our iPreserve at Paws Up program effectively. I always encourage our employees to not only point out the collateral explaining our towel program, but inform our guests that we have a comprehensive "iPreserve" program that encompasses our far reaching green initiatives. As stated on our website:

"At Paws Up, we engage in many of the familiar practices of conscientious, green resorts in Montana: earth-friendly cleaning products, energy efficient lights, organic bath products and the option for guests to re-use linens. But we don't stop there. We have made some significant environmental commitments including catch-and-release fishing and sustainable farming practices. We believe, with responsible stewardship of the land, we can keep the "Best" in The Last Best Place."

We will always be happy to offer fresh towels and linens for our guests as often as our guests please. As a general practice however, we only replace the linens when they are left on the floor.

I am thrilled that Chef Ben provided an amazing and "outstandingly delicious" dinner. He was delighted to hear your feedback. Also, I am pleased that you found all the staff delightful and friendly. As mentioned before, training is an important component to our culture. I would welcome a phone call any time to discuss the areas you found them to be poorly trained an uninformed. This would be an easy fix, given the overall emphasis on training of which they are already accustomed to.

In regards to our equipment being shabby, I have examined the archery equipment and our Activities Director has purchased a new style of target for archery as well as stocked up on more equipment. In the rugged Montana wilderness, unfortunately these things can happen and we have addressed the issue. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I do hope to hear from you soon and further discuss your recent stay. It is my desire to ensure you that we do indeed have our act together. We are determined to demonstrate to you that we are truly unique, luxurious and service driven. Although your service issues were an isolated incident, it should not be your last impression of the "Last Best Place." Thank you again for staying with us and enjoy the rest of your summer.

Been to The Resort at Paws Up? Share your experiences!