We stayed at the Creekside Camp in July with our two little children. It was a lot to spend on a vacation, but it was worth every penny and I feel that we got great value for what we paid. I think that Paws Up is a place for people who put a high premium on natural beauty and landscapes, design and decor, and on memorable experiences. It would have never been possible for me on my own to arrange all the amazing things our family did in five days... it would have required months of research and a much longer trip. Paws Up specializes in the art of impossible logistics, and to me that's really worth something.
I'm sure the Luxury Homes are spectacular, but for us, the camp was unbeatable. The setting was drop-dead dreamy, with a little creek running next to the dining pavilion. Our tent wanted for nothing. It appears just as it does in the photos. There were a few spiders in the bathroom, but these are indeed real tents. If you're not OK getting up close with nature, the Timber Homes may be a better choice.
The best part of the camping experience is the convivial atmosphere that's created in the dining pavilion. We got to know most of the other families staying in the camp and we enjoyed dining with them. Our kids roasted marshmallows for dessert and older kids told ghost stories. It was a great way to unplug.
The camp chef (Dallas Austin) and the butlers (James + David) provided warm and personalized service such that I cannot find a single thing to critique. The dining experience they manage to stage produce out in the middle of nowhere is nothing short of magic. If you've ever been on a high-end cruise, it's that same level of attentiveness and accommodation (plus more food than you could hope to consume). We actually appreciated the BYOB policy at the creek, which saved us a little money. If you do enjoy wine or beer w/ dinner, be sure to stock up. They make it very easy for you to store your provisions in the kitchen. Overall, the Creekside dining experience was so unique and wonderful, we wound up canceling our reservation at Pomp because we didn't want to miss a night with our new friends at camp.
The activities are Paws Up big strength and should be the main reason for your trip. While some have commented that they are expensive, I think they are well-priced for the experience. I wound up getting a one-on-one archery lesson with a USMC veteran who qualified as an expert marksman. I even got to take a selfie with the bear target I shot. That's something you can talk about back at the office and was worth way more than the $114 it cost. I never knew I'd love riding ATVs. I'm ready now to take up mountain biking. I found out my daughter looks right at home on a horse! Such self-discovery is what a vacation should be about.
Cowboy Steve is one of the gems of Paws Up. We had the chance to take a carriage ride with his team, Pete and Repeat. We met him again later at the chuckwagon dinner (where our daughter got to ride with him in front, this time with Lightning and Strike). He regaled us with his cowboy poetry. The food was unforgettable. I'll probably never have ribs and cornbread that good again.
Kudos to the staff for conjuring up a box of baby wipes for us. We ran out upon our arrival. Stuff like that makes a huge impression. Other nice touches were Meredith squeezing in pony rides for our kids (even though they're free), James tracking us down to let us know we left a bag upon check out. Loved the staff and their western wear. My daughter and son were awestruck by the cowboys and cowgirls.
THanks Paws Up! Hope to see you again soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Resort at Paws Up is Montana's premier luxury ranch resort situated on a sprawling 37,000-acre working cattle ranch in central, western Montana. What differentiates us from other Montana resorts is our commitment to give you the most intimate, unfiltered connection with the natural beauty of Montana, while providing the most luxurious comfort possible. We are a Montana ranch resort offering first-class, personalized service, luxury accommodations (28 private vacation homes and 24 luxury camping tents), wilderness adventures and a myriad of amenities. The Resort at Paws Up is where families and couples make lasting memories. We call it The Last Best Place. You'll just call it unforgettable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your The Resort at Paws Up reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Resort At Paws Up Hotel Greenough
- Hotel At Paws Up
- At Paws Up Hotel
- The Resort At Paws Up Montana/Greenough