“Best B&B we ever visited”

The Carolina Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 7 Helena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Once a year we plan a 2 week motorcycle trip in the US. We camp and we visit B&B's. We pretty much traveled coast to coast and many of the west coast states. In short, the Carolina B&B is the best one we have stayed at in many years of traveling. It is such a wonderful decorated house and atmosphere that it feels like staying with old friends.

The house is carefully decorated with antiques and Colleen clearly has a keen eye when purchasing new treasures from estate sales and antique stores.

Our room upstairs was large and just excellent. The King bed could not have been more comfortable and the room even has a TV set which we were happy to find as our native country The Netherlands played their semi finals shortly after we arrived.

Colleen is a fantastic host. She makes you feel at home immediately and is genuinely interested in her guests. She even invited us to share some wine later that evening. It was a pleasure to share some stories in the backyard with Colleen, a friend and her sister.

Then, the breakfast. Pat, the superb cook and help around the house, prepared an exquisite breakfast including a wonderful starter, main dish and desert.... yes, for breakfast. We stuffed ourselves. Her homemade scones were to die for as well. We brought some with us which we enjoyed on our way to Glacier Park.

Furthermore, the house is smack in the right part of town. Walking distance from great restaurants and the quirky little town center. Wonderful architecture all around the neighborhood including the Cathedral across the street.

We walked towards the Capitol (a bit of a walk) where we enjoyed the tram tour. That was very interesting too and a nice way to see the town and learn about the history. We did not know anything about Helena and left town the next day knowing a whole lot more about Helena and Montana.

All in all, highly recommended. You will not be disappointed. Colleen, we will be back.

Room Tip: We had the champage room upstairs. Great room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert V
edity, Owner at The Carolina Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review and we look forward to your next visit. So great to hear back from you.
Colleen and Pat

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Highly recommended
The home and all the rooms as well as food and hospitality are simply wonderful
Colleen is a terrific hostess and the house is beautiful and clean
All room were beautiful and very clean
When I slept I could not hear a sound it was delightful
Must stay in Helena

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We really cannot say enough great things about this B&B! We stayed the last week of May. The best part of staying at the Carolina B&B was Pat. She made phenomenal, large breakfasts and was just so accommodating. She checked with us each morning to see how we were doing, what our plans were and offered some suggestions. On our way to Helena, I got food poisoning from one of the airport vendors, and when it kicked in late Friday night/early Saturday morning, Pat couldn't have been more concerned. She checked on me several times via text and wanted to make sure I was okay. She has a terrific sense of humor and unlimited energy. We think we'll return to kidnap Pat, but don't let anyone know. :)

Colleen, the owner, was tremendously friendly, helpful, responsive and accommodating. When I asked her if they had a cooler we could borrow for an overnight trip to Yellowstone Nat'l Park, she made sure we had one (brand new since the previous one disappeared!). There was a wedding at the B&B the day of our arrival and Colleen kept me posted about what accommodations were available and making sure we would have the same amenities we first requested. We ended up staying in the Anisette Room, which was perfect for us. Plenty of space, a great size bathroom with a large, tiled shower (no tub, but that's not a problem for us), and several areas to spread out your toiletries. WiFi worked just fine. There was a small frig in the hallway right around the corner from our room with water and pop. Lots of places to hang clothes or place in drawers. Our room and the parts of the B&B we were in were very clean.

Great location, too - walking distance to restaurants, the Original Governor's Mansion and St. Helena Cathedral. The B&B's gardens were lovely and we spent some time enjoying our wine outside. Street parking is not a problem - there's plenty in front and also around the blocks near the B&B (not far).

Only complaint would be the foam-top layer on the bed, and the pillows were too soft. My husband has a bad back and I have neck/shoulder problems. Once we checked with Pat, we removed the foam-top, which made a huge, happy difference for my husband and I rolled up a hand towel using a few rubber bands to place under my neck,

When we travel both stateside and abroad, we stay in B&Bs about 85% of the time. The Carolina Bed & Breakfast is definitely one of the best we've ever stayed in. Colleen and Pat really made our visit special and memorable.

Room Tip: We were able to peek in all the rooms in the main house while unoccupied and they all were very well...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Valentine's Day get away, dead of winter in Montana. What to do? Drive to a nearby location that you don't know all that well, & have a romantic weekend with the one you love! After an on-line search, I decided to talk to the owner of the Carolina. She was gracious, encouraging, inviting . . That's all it took. We committed to a four night stay, & it was wonderful.
The Innkeeper Pat is as welcoming & friendly as the owner is. We immediately felt at ease & at home. Pat is a fantastic cook. Often when I stay in hotels or B&B's, I am content to sleep in, & just pour some coffee, grab a muffin or a piece of fruit, & go. I couldn't wait until morning to sample the next breakfast feast, before venturing out, or back upstairs to bed ; )
Additionally, she is a truly genuine person, the kind of person you can trust with your business, your guests, your reputation. Sounds extreme, but I really will return, if not only to see Pat again, & to meet the owner Colleen, in person.
Other high points: both Colleen & Pat are good communicators, clear & direct, not to mention responsive. I left a message on the business line, mid-morning, mid-week. Colleen called me back, in about an hour, taking time to talk for a few minutes. They're also quite avid texters.
The Carolina itself is a beautiful building that is nicely preserved, yet not over-the-top in terms of decorations / accoutrements. We also enjoyed fires in our room, which was a warm & romantic addition to our stay over the Valentine's Day weekend. We arrived midweek, & were able to peek into different rooms, all of which are nicely done, & unique in style. Just a neat place all around! We really did feel like welcome members in a family home, over a holiday. Thank You.

Room Tip: we stayed in the Anisette Room - yeah ! it is, as described on-line @ carolinab-b.net
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I had the idea that instead of staying at a big box hotel as my wife and I usually do, we would try staying at a B&B. This trip was about the experience. After some rushed research, I chose the Carolina on a whim. It was exactly what we were looking for. A relaxing stay with great hospitality.

There is lots to do within walking range of the Carolina. The quality of the food and drink that an be found in Last Chance Gulch was very good.

Pat was amazing, I am sure other B&B owners would like to clone her or find out how she does everything, a true one of a kind personality.

I don't want to say too much more positive lest it might be harder to book rooms in the future. Happy Trails.

Room Tip: All the rooms, and I looked at all of them, are suitable for two.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jonathan P
Reviewed 20 September 2013

How many times do you walk in the door of a B & B and feel you are at home at last after a long absence? We were given an inviting tour, asked when we wanted breakfast in the AM, then shown our lovely room. After settling in we were off to Carroll Cathedral and the historic downtown area of Helena all within easy walking. On our return we were greeted with home made apple pie and given suggestions for other options to see and do in the area for the next day. My dear husband brought me fresh coffee and a scone to our room in the AM. I joined him later down stairs for one of Pat's amazing full breakfasts; More of the same the next day but different breakfast menu.

Colleen, the owner, has put a lot of time and heart into restoring and maintaining the Carolina. Beautiful rooms, nooks, spaces, and know amenity not thought of! Thank you Pat and Colleen for making our first trip to Helena so enjoyable; Till next time The Wises

Room Tip: Web site is thorough but call Colleen and she can answer any of your questions.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We have stayed in bed and breakfasts all over the country (and world), the Carolina was one of our most memorable - truly a wonderful experience. We stayed in the Anisette Room which was an experience in quiet comfort. Beautifully furnished with a fabulous bed (and bedding), we really felt like we were in our own private oasis. Breakfast was fantastic and both Colleen (the owner) and Pat (our cook) made us feel welcome. The location was convenient to everything we were interested in exploring. The Carolina is a must when visiting Helena.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple