“Most fun you can have with waders and long-johns on!”

Montana Fishing Outfitters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Thanks for visiting us at Montana Fishing Outfitters, we are here to help you make your Montana fly fishing trip come to reality. We consider ourselves Montana’s Most Unique Guide Service because we offer top-notch angling adventures with our team of professional fly fishing guides throughout Montana. From our home water, the trout-filled Missouri River in central Montana, to the fabled Bighorn River in eastern Montana to the picturesque Yellowstone River in Paradise Valley, we get around. MFO takes pride in putting together your dream Montana fly fishing trip, whether it is float fishing one of our many famous blue-ribbon rivers or wade fishing a secret stream you’ve never heard of before. We also love to have fun out on the water with our anglers – we think fly fishing is about spending quality time in beautiful places with good people. We love what we do, and we want to share it with you.
Reviewed 29 April 2013

If you can follow basic instructions and can tell your left from your right you are going to catch a lot of fish. I still have no idea how they know exactly where the fish are but they put you right in the middle of it. You'll even get some help from the oars if your cast isn't perfect. Add that to very patient instruction from Pat on technique and by lunch you are ready for the cover of Outside Magazine (or at least facebook).

1  Thank BosRN
in 7 reviews
in 4 reviews
in 22 reviews

Reviewed 27 April 2013

I had never gone fly fishing before. Garret and Pat took me and my two friends on a full day experience that flashed by in what seemed like minutes. They got us out and catching fish immediately, no time wasted. Amazing instruction, artful navigation of the mighty missouri, and ninja-like knowledge of the fish locations. These guys are beyond expert classification in all facets of fly fishing. Too boot, they're fun and full of knowledge of all things montana (e.g., including rich detailed history of lewis and clark). It was an epic experience. Highly recommend.

2  Thank dnabos
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I just returned from my 6th float of the Mo with Garrett and as always it was a unique and incredible fishing experience. Absolutely the most knowledgable guide on the river and one of my favorite people in the world to hang out with for a day. I brought along two first time anglers on a day that started out with 5" of fresh snow, but Garrett and Pat got them hooked up on some great fish and they both agreed it was the highlight of their Montana trip.

1  Thank WC_Boston
Reviewed 15 April 2013

My wife and I found Garrett on the internet and you never know if what you read on the web will be accurate. Garrett was very helpful and always available to help us out. Our guide was Bill DeMers from Missoula and he was outstanding. The fishing slow in the mornings but by each afternoon we had brought in approximately 15 fish of good size and my wife's skills had improved dramatically...it was only her second time flyfishing. I would highly recommend Garrett and Bill if you are looking for a quality trip. Beautiful trips, outstanding guide and lots of good fish.

2  Thank Matt F
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 October 2012

"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout."
~Irish proverb~

Pat Straub certainly knows how to listen to the sound of the river. More importantly, he loves to teach you how to do the same. The fishing was tough, the weather great, and the scenery breathtaking. Pat wove these elements into an unforgettable memory. We caught lots of fish not just because of Pat's knowledge and experience, but because he never gives up. He loves what he does and shares it freely. We savor the memory and look forward to the next day on the water with Pat.