“Affordable, clean, quiet & comfortable”
Review of Shilo Inn - Helena

Shilo Inn - Helena
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Helena
MT
“Affordable, clean, quiet & comfortable”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

As long as you don't mind the fact that hotel hasn't been updated in a while, this is a fine place to stay, and more affordable than most Helena hotels with an indoor pool (at least through Priceline). It is a 2-star hotel, though, so you can't set your expectations too high! The room was typical size, had a desk, table and 2 chairs, mini-fridge and microwave. The bed was comfortable and overall, the hotel was nice and quiet. The heater worked well. Coffee & hot water (tea) available by the front desk at all hours as well as in-room coffee. Breakfast area is small so I'd hate to see it on a busy morning, but there was a decent selection for a continental breakfast: juice, coffee, tea, milk, yogurt, cereal, toast, muffins and danish. There are trays so you can take your breakfast back to your room, since there is nowhere to sit. The pool was warm, the hot tub & sauna hot. Would be nice if there were more seating area for parents who need to be there to "supervise" but don't want to swim. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Our TV was not a flat screen but worked fine. Parking lot is small and, as another reviewer noted, a bit of an odd shape (which I guess is what resulted in a truck parking overnight in the middle of the area you are supposed to drive through from one side of the lot to the other!). Plug-ins in the parking lot, handy on a night that was expected to hit record lows. Our stay was better than I expected and I would go back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn - Helena, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear valued guest,
Thank-you for your wonderful review telling other travelers about your stay in Helena at the Shilo Inn. Myself and my staff are happy that your stay was what you expected and more. We look forward to seeing you again.
I will look into acquiring more seating in the pool area per your suggestion.
Thank-you,
Kathy C.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

A friend and I stayed here on a road trip from Seattle to Yellowstone. We hadn't planned the stops between. We were tired and just needed a place to sleep where I could have my dog.

I took a chance on Priceline and got the Shilo Inn. I hadn't seen a Shilo Inn in forever. It looked like a hotel I stayed in 20 years ago (that hadn't really been updated). I received actual keys for the doors.

There was a funky a smell in the stairway/halls, but not so much in the actual room.

Regardless of the outdated qualities and decor, I was willing to sleep, and willing to shower in the morning so it wasn't THAT bad. I have no complaints, as I expected it to be pretty much as it was.

I'll take a "lacking" hotel if I wanna enjoy a city, or I'll take a more upscale hotel if I'm not planning on leaving it. If I am ever in Helena again, to stay for more than 8 hours, it might not be my first choice.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank remeroo
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn - Helena, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear remeroo,

Our hotel in Helena does still use real keys! Many guests like using a key rather than a key card that may or may not work. Updates to the hotel are being done gradually.
Our hotel is clean with clean guest rooms and a sparkling clean indoor pool. I thank you for taking the time to review the hotel for other travelers. We hope that you will stay again.

Hither and Yon
Reviewed 9 November 2013

First impressions weren't good, as the parking lot is oddly configured and quite small for a hotel of this size. Vans and larger vehicles might be better off parking on street than trying to navigate it while crowded.

Upon getting into our room (117), we noticed that the older television changed from color to black-and-white, and the signal appeared to go in and out with the sound. Had we intended to spend the evening watching TV, this would have been a problem, but we had plans to swim.

The pool was cooler than anticipated, and the hot tub was out of commission until further notice.

Breakfast the next morning was adequate: pre-packaged sweet rolls, yogurt, cereal, and a toaster for bagels and English muffins. Juice, water, milk, tea, and coffee (decaf and regular) were provided, but a place to eat was not. I believe they wanted us to take our breakfast back to our room, but our family of four had a difficult enough time navigating some stairs without handrails that we didn't want to attempt the return trip with hands laden with breakfast. We made due on the two lobby seats.

Upon our exit, I asked the receptionist to make note of the broken television. (I would have called her from the room, but our room didn't have a telephone in it). I also asked her to make note to clean under the beds and to give the carpet an extra vacuuming, as there was dog hair on the rug from a previous occupant.

All in all, it was adequate for our stay in Helena, though next time I think we'll stay in a hotel that has a warmer pool and a working hot tub.

On the plus side, there was a small 'fridge, coffeemaker, and iron and ironing board in the room. There was plenty of places to sit and lay out the luggage.

Room Tip: If you need a telephone, make sure to tell reception, as not all rooms have them.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RoadTrippin406
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn - Helena, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Roadtrippin 406,

Thank-you for your comments about your stay in Helena.
The television in room 117 has been replaced.
The hot tub was out of order for some time as we waited for parts. It is working perfectly at this time. We do our best to keep it working perfectly. However from time to time there are unexpected break downs that take time for parts to arrive.
The pool is kept at a temperature of 86 degrees. I am sorry that you
found it to be cooler than you would have liked.
The handrail going to first floor on the south end of the building has been
replaced after it had been broken previously.
Housekeeping has been advised about the dog hair you found in your room and to take
a closer look at the carpets as they clean, plus our vacuums have been serviced.
Our guests are sometimes our extra eyes and ears.
I do hope that you will try us again on your next trip to Helena.
Also, being a family with children, ask for a room on the main floor so you
can avoid the stairs all together.

Thank-you again,

Bigfork, MT
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I will never stay here again. The property is poorly maintained. The room was cramped, ugly, outdated and smelled of cigarette smoke. Even the mattress smelled slightly of cigarette smoke. Even worse, the bathroom was the strangest odor. It was very strong and very unpleasant. I could hardly wait to check out. Not a good experience.

I did not try the breakfast. The pool looked nice, but I didn't use it. The front desk person was very friendly and courteous. (Even the front desk looked like it was falling apart. Do some updating, people!)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank EchoLakeDenizen
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn - Helena, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear EchoLakeDenizen,

I would be seriously curious about what room you stayed in. I have not heard of any smelly rooms. If you would kindly contact me about this, it would be appreciated, I would like to identify this room and fix it asap.

I am assuming that you did not come directly to the front desk and ask for a different room. We are dedicated to our guests comfort and want them to be happy with their room. We would have gladly shown you to a different room. I do hope you will consider staying with us again in Helena or try one of our many other Shilo Inns.

Our guests comments are a great way for us to know what improvements need to be done.

Thank-you,

General Manger

Travellers are raving about these Helena hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The Shilo Inn is the spot. Clean comfortable and affordable. Would stay again. I would give it a 3 star hotel (most websites have it as 2.5). I am from the east coast and never saw a shilo inn before, great find.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear wholenessmoving,

Your comments have the entire staff smiling today! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found everything to be clean and in order as you expected.

We do hope you will stay with us next time you are in beautiful Helena Montana. Thank-you for taking time to send in this comment.

Christiansted, VI, United States
Reviewed 23 August 2013

First of all it was a nice large room. But I mainly booked this because of the airport shuttle service. I was informed at check in there was none. The lady at the desk even seemed perturbed that I asked. So we made due by hiring a taxi. Other complaints include the hot tub and sauna not working.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Forrest Y
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn - Helena, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Forrest Y,

I am glad you enjoyed the spacious room. Our maintenance department has the hot tub back in working order and parts are ordered for the sauna. I do apologize that during your stay these were not in good working order. You were misinformed about our shuttle service to the airport. I have insured that all front desk agents are aware of our airport service. Please contact me about this mistake.

Thank-you for your comments.

NW Arkansas
Reviewed 6 August 2013

This is an older property, but fairly well kept. It was the best price we could find for Helena, MT. Continental breakfast was adequate. Swimming pool was good, HOT tub was GREAT, and they also had sauna & steam room. Seems the place is constantly try to update (little by little) things like the the TV's & mattresses. Don't expect the wifi to be very useful since internet access was spotty at best, even with a good wifi signal. No fitness facility.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear mtngoat2013,

Our swimming pool and hot tub are very popular and I am very glad that you could enjoy them during your stay. I will look into the wifi problem that you mentioned.

Thank-you for taking time to give us such a nice review.